Ok -- Here's a "hypothetical situation" for you...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ok -- Here's a "hypothetical situation" for you...

Post by Vol Texan »

sominus wrote:Personally, I didn't want to go home without a weapon, not realizing at the time that she has been apprehended. I fully expected to find "someone" parked near my house (fortunately the next door neighbor is a state trooper). My wife and I contemplated grabbing the kids from school and going to a hotel -- that's how seriously we take the threat this woman represents. This scare is why I took my CHL course this past weekend, and why I actually bought a weapon on the way home from work. While I've wanted 1) my CHL and 2) the weapon I bought for a while, this event accelerated both a bit.

My lizard-brain says "shoot on sight if she is on my property". She has NO business being there -- her rights were terminated with regards to the child we had together. The threat she represents is real, BUT: Words and mere trespass do not constitute that type of response. While they could imprison her for that, its a "sticks and stones" situation until it escalates.

What is the legal ground/basis here?
Now you've introduced another set of variables into this situation (in red font above). It's now time for the new wife to get her CHL also, and time for both of you to take the next step and get some more training. Just owning and carrying a gun is not enough. You need to know how to fight with your weapon.

There are a lot of great ideas here on this forum, so feel free to look around. One quick search gave me this one (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24630&p=278636&hilit=+tactical+training+houston#p278636), but I'd bet if you spent a few more minutes searching you'll find more.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
sominus
Posts in topic: 7

Post by sominus »

Getting my wife to do a CHL and get a weapon is probably not going to happen -- she has an aversion to them since her mother committed suicide by shooting herself in the head.

android
Posts in topic: 1

Post by android »

esxmarkc wrote: And you consider this a BORDERLINE personality disorder?!??! That's like saying Obama is only slightly liberal.

I'm really hoping you got a full refund from the dating service.

:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

Just messing with ya of course.
Haha, they need to come out with WAY_OVER_THE_LINE personality disorder!

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

MotherBear wrote:I'd stay armed and vigilant, but I think you have to evaluate the immediate level of threat. Can you stay inside and call the police if she shows up? Is she empty-handed and seeming rational (still wouldn't trust her, but wouldn't shoot her either) or screaming and swinging a baseball bat? Is she accompanied by a few thugs wearing black hoodies? I'd definitely consider a home security system if you don't already have one, preferably one you can check from a remote location.

I also think that when I found out she was on the loose, I'd have called my local law enforcement agencies. I live in a smaller town just outside Austin, and the police here are pretty friendly and proactive. If they knew a convicted felon had slipped parole and was possibly on her way to the area wanting to harm a resident, I suspect they'd pass around a photos and keep an eye out for her just in case. I think they'd also be inclined to temporarily increase patrols in the neighborhood if they felt the threat was credible. And if you found out while away from home that she was on the loose and were concerned that your home was already compromised, I feel fairly confident that my local police department would be happy to make a quick check of the house before you went in. Worst-case scenario, you have big-city cops who are too busy to actually do anything but you at least have it on record that you were concerned and tried to take measures to avoid a situation.

Just what occurs to me off the top of my head.
I too live in a smaller town just outside Austin and utilized my PD. They were happy to help. Give it a shot. This was about 15 years ago when my town was much smaller. I had a credible threat against my life by a disgruntled former employee. The PD had his photo and made much more frequent, 3-4 times per day, patrols down my street. My company offered to hire a private security guard for a couple of weeks but I declined. I admit I was nervous for awhile. I would look into this though.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Don't open the door. If she breaks in, you're justified in the use of deadly force.

(I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, bla, bla bla.)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

sjfcontrol wrote:Don't open the door. If she breaks in, you're justified in the use of deadly force.
I would also call 911 to report someone breaking into my house. If the cops show up and catch them in the act that's great. If not then I'm in a much better legal and tactical position than going outside to argue with a violent criminal.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

2 words, lead poisoning

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Keith B wrote:Hypotetically, I would not open the door, call the hypotetical police, and let them hypotehtically arrest her.

Per the penal code, verbal threats are not jsutification for use of force OR deadly force.
Again speaking hypothetically, if she turns the doorknob,opens the front door, and walks inside, then the penal code not only justifies use of deadly force, it also says the use of deadly force is "presumed reasonable".

Still hypothetically speaking, if there was a voice over the intercomm telling the person at the front door to "come on in", it may be difficult to prove that the entry was invited instead of forcible. :evil2: Hypothetically of course.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mtnthundr2

Post by mtnthundr2 »

JP171 wrote:2 words, lead poisoning
:iagree:

I totally agree with the above statement .... this woman has proven that she's not worthy of 'second' chances (although it sounds as if she may be on her third chance at this point in time).
Stay SAFE!
5-28-14 Upload documents - 6-26-14 plastic in hand
~ Never let your fear decide your fate ~

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

sominus,

From your description it sounds like she could also qualify as a psychopath.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Why isn't she back in prison by virtue of the ankle monitor incident?

Doesn't that qualify as a parole violation?

Especially, given all the rest of what she did while off the ankle monitor.

Otherwise, what's the use of such devices when they're violated...?

Perhaps, a lawyer could help pressure the powers that be if they're too lazy or unwilling to do their jobs, i.e. put her back in prison.

Or, are there no consequences for parole violation?

Topic author
sominus
Posts in topic: 7

Post by sominus »

She is currently in the Travis county lockup. The problem is going to be when she gets out. She has lots of cash to get good representation, so who knows what games she will play.

-M

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

sominus wrote:So let's pretend that my ex-wife was sentenced to 15 years in the Texas pokey for a murder-for-hire plot. Remember, we're just pretending here.

Let's also pretend that, while in prison, she tried to get someone to find someone to take ME out. Again, this is "hypothetical". (wink wink)

Since we're pretending so much, let's stretch it out a little further and say that she was paroled to Austin about a month ago and put on an ankle monitor.

And let's say that she went missing for a while last week.....

If said ex-wife, who has a restraining order against her for "no contact under any circumstances in any manner" were to show up on your doorstep in Houston, what would YOU do? Remember, there is a credible threat by a convicted felon against your life here...

And, hypothetically, this isn't a hypothetical situation. The only "hypothetical" part to it is that she didn't actually get to Houston -- she was apprehended in Austin.

-M
Hypothetically, it seems like from what I've seen and read, that upon release, a lot of criminals just disappear and are never heard from again --they just drop out of sight, go somewhere else. Maybe you'll be lucky like that.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Although considered a lifelong disorder, some symptoms — particularly destructive and criminal behavior and the use of alcohol or drugs — may decrease over time, but it's not clear whether this decrease is a result of aging or an increased awareness of the consequences of antisocial behavior.
=====

...and, oddly enough, we met on Yahoo Personals back in 1998. :cryin
I was married to an antisocial, ie sociopath. Met her in church. They are very dangerous people. They hunt people, think in terms of serial killers. Always seem so charming. The best option is to have nothing to do with them and stay as far away as possible. Good luck!!
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

lws380

Post by lws380 »

I think you should be asking your questions to a lawyer and not a gun forum. I also would not be posting my options or what I would do. That may come back to bite you in the rear end.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Hypothetically if anything happens this thread becomes reading material for a grand jury. Just something to keep in mind.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”