Church carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Church carry

Post by SewTexas »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Morgan wrote:It's the fault of the state. If they would remove text instead of adding exceptions, the confusion would go away.
I disagree to some extent. Sure, it would make things easier in a superficial way, but it could make things a lot harder in more deeply important ways. Here's why:

What they are doing is "amending" existing law, not writing new law. When we amend the Constitution, we don't remove the older amendment that was cancelled out by the new amendment. See the 18th (Prohibition) and 21st (cancelling Prohibition) amendments for an example.

There is a very good reason for doing things this way, and that is so that we can have a record of how we got to where we are. Imagine that the 2nd got overturned by amendment. Wouldn't you want the record there for all to see that Americans had once enjoyed that right, so that future generations could undo the folly of the one that banned firearms?

That's why updates to the law are penned in the way they are. Even when passages are struck from the law, they remain in the text, but crossed out with a line through it, indicating what the law used to say.

That gives us a legal roadmap.

TAM,

you just made me feel incredibly smart....
my husband and I had this same conversation Saturday and I said exactly what you did! now I know I got it right! :txflag:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

goose

Post by goose »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Morgan wrote:It's the fault of the state. If they would remove text instead of adding exceptions, the confusion would go away.
I disagree to some extent. Sure, it would make things easier in a superficial way, but it could make things a lot harder in more deeply important ways.
If schools required reading these things, maybe we could talk Cliff into writing a Cliff Notes version. :-)
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

bigity

Post by bigity »

Goose, I like your Hog flag :D
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

goose

Post by goose »

bigity wrote:Goose, I like your Hog flag :D
Gracias! A little bit of the old home with the new home. I couldn't put the Razorback on the "Come and Take It" flag for fear our football turnover rate might be brought into question. :-)
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

bigity

Post by bigity »

Well thankfully at least we are headed in the right direction again. Just got to play all 4 quarters and we will start getting some wins.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

I had the opportunity to query several in-uniform LEOs at a recent PD open house. I asked each of them specifically: "Is church carry legal?" While not one of them could remember the specifics, they all knew that it was - because they also had CHLs. The CHL program with the way the classes are taught is a significant enhancement to our LE community. I was very relieved that all of them came up with the correct answer.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Rusty Wrenches

Post by Rusty Wrenches »

What if the church doubles as a private school?
glock 19

carry whenever and wherever possible. you never know when you'll need it. its not being paranoid, its being prepared.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Rusty Wrenches wrote:What if the church doubles as a private school?
Then you would need written permission to be able to carry there legally.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The law does not address this fact pattern. As a general statement, I advise people to always treat schools as schools, regardless whether students are present. Thus, if a church meets in a school building on Sundays when school is not in session and no students are present, it's still a "school" for purposes of TPC §46.03. However, if the church building is used as a school from Monday through Friday, then the school does not own the building(s) and it is merely using it/them during weekdays. In these cases, you could carry in church on Sundays without written authorization. You could do likewise during weekday evenings (like Wednesday evenings), so long as the school isn't using the building for a school function.

If you want to carry in the church-owned buildings at any time they are being used as a school, then get written authorization.

Chas.

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
The law does not address this fact pattern. As a general statement, I advise people to always treat schools as schools, regardless whether students are present. Thus, if a church meets in a school building on Sundays when school is not in session and no students are present, it's still a "school" for purposes of TPC §46.03. However, if the church building is used as a school from Monday through Friday, then the school does not own the building(s) and it is merely using it/them during weekdays. In these cases, you could carry in church on Sundays without written authorization. You could do likewise during weekday evenings (like Wednesday evenings), so long as the school isn't using the building for a school function.

If you want to carry in the church-owned buildings at any time they are being used as a school, then get written authorization.

Chas.
Thank you for this Summary Chas! I will go ahead and get written authorization for carry through my church, as myself and other off duty LEO's and CHL holders are the only defense for up to or sometimes over half an hour, due to our remote location.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Thank you for this Summary Chas! I will go ahead and get written authorization for carry through my church, as myself and other off duty LEO's and CHL holders are the only defense for up to or sometimes over half an hour, due to our remote location.
Just one clarification - LEO's don't need authorization, whether on duty or off.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”