CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Re: IKEA heck

Post by Scott B. »

C-dub wrote:
Scott B. wrote: It's compliant from the other approach, isn't a that a fun a feeling?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone type Italian in English before. :lol:
I'd blame the Italians I've been hanging out with, but it's my own brain misfire.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

The Round Rock IKEA has been posted, very prominently, for quite some time, before OCT.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

TBJK
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TBJK »

I dunno if Frisco has one yet. They didn't as of a couple months ago.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

TBJK wrote:I dunno if Frisco has one yet. They didn't as of a couple months ago.
Huh. :headscratch

I thought I saw one there a few years ago, the one and only time I went in there after having to take the walk of disappointment back to the truck to disarm.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TBJK

Post by TBJK »

C-dub wrote:
TBJK wrote:I dunno if Frisco has one yet. They didn't as of a couple months ago.

I thought I saw one there a few years ago, the one and only time I went in there after having to take the walk of disappointment back to the truck to disarm.
They had a gun buster but no 30.06 the last time I was there. I got conned into many times in the past few months to go.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

TBJK wrote:
C-dub wrote:

They had a gun buster but no 30.06 the last time I was there. I got conned into many times in the past few months to go.
Frisco does but it is inside the entrance area soooo, you are actually in violation before you can see it.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

TBJK

Post by TBJK »

Lol. Wouldn't seem to be legal but don't know if I'll test that one. It wouldn't seem to be an entrance if you enter the building then see it after you have already entered. Don't believe I will shop there anymore.

dicion

Post by dicion »

rotor wrote: Would that sign stop an OCT carry? I think business that put up a 30.06 don't want any guns. Blame the business for this one.
They had a gunbuster up. That would prevent OC alone.
jimlongley wrote: Correlation does not equal causation. Unless and until IKEA announces that OCT's antics caused them to put up the sign, it could as well be my letter to them (corporate) stating why I don't shop there any more.
I completely agree, and yes, it COULD have been caused by that, but the fact that it went up, after not being there for many years, immediately after OCT's public displays and news coverage tends to make me believe that it was probably at least a potential cause.
And you know as well as I do that IKEA is never going to 'announce' anything like that. They'll do exactly what they did, put up a sign overnight and say nothing about it.

dicion

Post by dicion »

oohrah wrote:The Round Rock IKEA has been posted, very prominently, for quite some time, before OCT.
Which leads me to believe that is is not corporate-wide policy to post these signs, but rather Local Store Management policy. If it was corporate policy, they all would have went up at the same time.

What would cause the local Houston manager to potentially consult their lawyer/gun laws to determine if their current signage completely keeps out all gun owners?

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

dicion wrote:
oohrah wrote:The Round Rock IKEA has been posted, very prominently, for quite some time, before OCT.
Which leads me to believe that is is not corporate-wide policy to post these signs, but rather Local Store Management policy. If it was corporate policy, they all would have went up at the same time.

What would cause the local Houston manager to potentially consult their lawyer/gun laws to determine if their current signage completely keeps out all gun owners?
MDA, for starters? Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

dicion

Post by dicion »

Vol Texan wrote: MDA, for starters? Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups.
That is indeed quite possible.

My overall point being, that IMO, the local manager didn't just wake up one day and go 'Hm, I think I'll go through Texas Weapons laws today to see if my store is keeping everyone out', but rather someone or something caused him to do so.

In Houston, OCT being in the news was the largest thing I immediately thought of that could have caused this. They made quite a large news-splash with their Fifth Ward shenanigans. Quannel X got on the TV and everything.
Could it have been something else? Absolutely, but I'm applying Occam's razor in this case. Huge Houston media spotlight on guns being carried openly in neighborhoods & businesses. Businesses post signs to keep out gun carriers.

Even if they didn't directly cause it in this case, they certainly have overall caused more negative attention towards all forms of firearm carry, than positive.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

TBJK wrote:Lol. Wouldn't seem to be legal but don't know if I'll test that one. It wouldn't seem to be an entrance if you enter the building then see it after you have already entered. Don't believe I will shop there anymore.
Keep in mind that a proper 30.06 sign does not have to be posted at an entrance. It's nice if it posted where it can be seen prior to entering, but it doesn't have to be.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bt1911

Post by bt1911 »

The sign has the word "licensed" misspelled. Is it still valid by intent?

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

I would call it valid.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote:
TBJK wrote:Lol. Wouldn't seem to be legal but don't know if I'll test that one. It wouldn't seem to be an entrance if you enter the building then see it after you have already entered. Don't believe I will shop there anymore.
Keep in mind that a proper 30.06 sign does not have to be posted at an entrance. It's nice if it posted where it can be seen prior to entering, but it doesn't have to be.
However, if you don't see the sign because of where it's posted, you are (arguably) not in violation of 30.06 as you did not "receive" notice.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”