Activating security alarm at retail stores while carrying

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Coxjajb
Posts in topic: 3

Activating security alarm at retail stores while carrying

Post by Coxjajb »

Lately, I have been setting off the security alarm when entering or exiting various retail stores in San antonio. Specifically, academy sports, Home Depot, lowes, Dillard's, wal-mart and Macy's. I'm confident it's my carry weapon that causes the alarm to activate since it does not happen when I leave my weapon in the car. Is this happening to others?

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Activating security alarm at retail stores while carryin

Post by LAYGO »

Are you sure it's not the CIA/FBI/NSA tracking device?
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

They're not metal detectors. Unless you have a loss control tag hidden in your gun (or holster) there's no way that's what is setting them off.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

tacticool wrote:They're not metal detectors. Unless you have a loss control tag hidden in your gun (or holster) there's no way that's what is setting them off.
:iagree:
I have rarely had one go off on me when entering a store and when I asked about it they just told me it was set a little sensitive and it was quite annoying to the point that they almost completely ignored it when it does go off.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

check your holster for tags.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
Coxjajb

Post by Coxjajb »

I experimented This evening. Carried in my pocket, an unloaded S&W Bodyguard without a holster or magazine, into academy sports. I set off the alarm when entering the store but not when I exited. I drove to wal-mart next. With just the slide, barrel and recoil rod and spring in my pocket. Same result as academy. Alarm on entry but no alarm on exit. I returned to my car and placed the slide, barrel and spring in my trunk. Returned to the store using the same door as before and did not set off the alarm. Just my observation. Wondering if others experience this while carring. I just remembered that I set off the alarm at cabelas in Buda last week as well.

TexasVet

Post by TexasVet »

Is that the one with the built in laser ? Would the same thing happen with a gun that did not have any electronics ?

Mel

Post by Mel »

Been carrying for years. I frequent Academy, Cabela's, Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, Sam's, and MANY, MANY others. Never set off any alarms!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

Look over all of your gear - wallet, holster, mag case, belt ... and see if there is one of those anti-shoplifting tags hidden somewhere. You may have missed one on something you bought. Or ... some folks steal them from some product in a store and plant them on someone else for fun - or distraction.

I had a problem like that for a while. Set off alarms coming and/or going. Eventually I found one of the things deep in my cell phone case. Problem solved.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

tiviti

Post by tiviti »

I've had that happen to me before, but it always ended up being a tag I forgot to remove/have the store remove.

Off-topic, but when I read the thread title, I thought it was going to be what to do if the alarm went off and the store loss prevention personnel wanted to search you while you were carrying.

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

Coxjajb wrote:I experimented This evening. Carried in my pocket, an unloaded S&W Bodyguard without a holster or magazine, into academy sports. I set off the alarm when entering the store but not when I exited. I drove to wal-mart next. With just the slide, barrel and recoil rod and spring in my pocket. Same result as academy. Alarm on entry but no alarm on exit. I returned to my car and placed the slide, barrel and spring in my trunk. Returned to the store using the same door as before and did not set off the alarm. Just my observation. Wondering if others experience this while carring. I just remembered that I set off the alarm at cabelas in Buda last week as well.
That's the craziest thing. How funny would that have been if you had to show ID to an LEO. Imagine trying to explain your situation.
Seriously, I hope you get it figured out.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

Coxjajb wrote:Lately, I have been setting off the security alarm when entering or exiting various retail stores in San antonio. Specifically, academy sports, Home Depot, lowes, Dillard's, wal-mart and Macy's. I'm confident it's my carry weapon that causes the alarm to activate since it does not happen when I leave my weapon in the car. Is this happening to others?
I regularly visit most of those you list, and have never had mine set an alarm off.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

I've never set one off at all. Back in 2001, though, I was working at Office Max, and the assistant principal from the small Christian high school where I'd graduated set it off on his way out once. My mom and I (she worked at said school) gave him grief over that for years :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

There was a guy that came into a motorcycle shop I used to hang around.He wore one or those key card,ID badges on a lanyard around his neck and it would set off the stores alarm.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

You must have something else going on. Once after shooting at Reds, so as not to leave any guns in my car, I went into the Cabela's in Buda with 5 full size handguns on my person and didn't set off any alarms. I've never set off an alarm anywhere no matter what gun I was carrying. The detectors at these stores are not metal detectors --they send an RF signal to RFID tags, and go off when a signal is reflected in response.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”