License Expiration, Renewal & Turn Around Time

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 1

License Expiration, Renewal & Turn Around Time

Post by joe817 »

My how times have changed from when I first got my CHL. My license expired last June 28. Yes I did get the renewal letter last January, but due to chaos and tragedy in the family, I put it in a 'safe place' for retrieval for a more convenient time. Well, that convenient time didn't come until October, and to be honest with you, I forgot about it. :shock: When I found the renewal letter, I went into panic mode(unjustified btw), and renewed online immediately. That was the evening of Tues Oct. 14. Answered the online questionnaire, paid my $35.00(Sr. citizen don't you know), and the wait began. Thank goodness that due to 'new' legislation(HB 48, effective Sept.1, 2013), CHL holders whose license has expired, now have up to one year after expiration to renew. Phew, dodged the bullet on that one.

Got the new license today! Very fast turn around! Here's the timeline:

Renewed online & paid fee: Tuesday, Oct. 14
Status Change(or equiv.): Thursday, Oct.23
License Mailed(postmarked: Monday, Oct. 27
License received today: Wed., Oct. 29

15 days turn around. Not bad.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

jiannichan

Re: License Expiration, Renewal & Turn Around Time

Post by jiannichan »

The only thing that sucked for me was mine expired April of '13. Since legislation didn't pass until Sept, I still needed to take the renewal class. My daughter was just born a few months prior so I didn't have time to go and attend a class. Fortunately for me, I had applied for my Arizona CHL so I was able to carry while my TXCHL was expired. It only took 30 days for my license to arrive after submitting everything.
-jchan

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: License Expiration, Renewal & Turn Around Time

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

HB48 did away with the requirement for renewal classes, but the one year grace period during which one could renew an expired CHL has been a DPS rule since SB60 passed in 1995. The original statute was silent on a statutory grace period, so DPS had the authority to establish it. HB48 actually/arguably removed (unintentionally) the authority to recognize a grace period, but DPS is taking a very pro-CHL position and still allowing post-expiration renewals for up to one year.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”