Blatant Printing: would you say something?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Blatant Printing: would you say something?

Post by WildBill »

ScooterSissy wrote:We talked a bit, and her husband (who was from NYC) said it's a cultural thing because of a dense population. He said as crowded as they are, and as intrusive as people are of the "3 foot rule" (out of necessity), it just becomes tedious to try to greet everyone, and extended eye-contact is almost considered a challenge.
I have been to NYC and noticed the same thing.

I have also visited Hong Kong where they must have a "3 inch rule". After a couple of days I was so claustrophobic that I had to leave. I also thought that if you were to use normal Texas manners, such as excuse me or sorry, in Hong Kong, you couldn't walk more than a couple yards in an hour because you bump into so many people just trying to cross a street. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:We talked a bit, and her husband (who was from NYC) said it's a cultural thing because of a dense population. He said as crowded as they are, and as intrusive as people are of the "3 foot rule" (out of necessity), it just becomes tedious to try to greet everyone, and extended eye-contact is almost considered a challenge.

I have also visited Hong Kong where they must have a "3 inch rule". After a couple of days I was so claustrophobic that I had to leave. I also thought that if you were to use normal Texas manners, such as excuse me or sorry, in Hong Kong, you couldn't walk more than a couple yards in an hour because you bump into so many people just trying to cross a street. ;-)
I listened to a report on NPR in regards "Social Distance", Americans are the most standoffish people in the world. Our personal space is 2.5 to 3 feet. Europeans 1.5 to 2 feet(Germans on the upper end, French on the lower). African and Arabic cultures allow 16 inches, but that can drop to ten inches if needed. Asian societies 8 to 10 inches or to contact in large crowds.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Itnkrman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Itnkrman »

Wow, and here I was thinking my neighbor across the pasture was to close. Guess that's why I've never traveled to NYC or a foreign country and have no desire to. :grumble
Ruger SR9c
Taurus PT640 Pro
Bersa 380
Stevens 20ga.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dadtodabone wrote:
WildBill wrote:

I listened to a report on NPR in regards "Social Distance", Americans are the most standoffish people in the world. Our personal space is 2.5 to 3 feet. Europeans 1.5 to 2 feet(Germans on the upper end, French on the lower). African and Arabic cultures allow 16 inches, but that can drop to ten inches if needed. Asian societies 8 to 10 inches or to contact in large crowds.
This sounds like something coming from a frustrated History major with a very good memory. "rlol"
NRA Endowment Member

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dadtodabone »

:iagree:
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CoffeeNut »

Dadtodabone wrote:
WildBill wrote:

This seems about accurate but I'd say the French have no concept of personal space. I was fighting off crowds of them at several national parks. They think it's perfectly fine to be bumping into you constantly :grumble
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

I would say "how do you like that $5 venti half double half mocha espresso decaf latte?"

TexasRifleman

Post by TexasRifleman »

I'm curious about something I have seen in this thread and others.

When the subject of "printing" comes up people post this:
GC411.171 “Concealed handgun” means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
Why? That's in the GC and not part of the Penal Code, it is a definition for a term that is not used in the Penal Code.

The actual criminal law says:
Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place.
There is no gun visible in the pictures, so why does anyone care? Bulges, lumps, even bulges and lumps that are obviously a gun mean nothing. Why does this continue to be a "thing"?

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

TexasRifleman wrote:I'm curious about something I have seen in this thread and others.

GC411.171 “Concealed handgun” means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
Why? That's in the GC and not part of the Penal Code, it is a definition for a term that is not used in the Penal Code.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place.
There is no gun visible in the pictures, so why does anyone care? Bulges, lumps, even bulges and lumps that are obviously a gun mean nothing. Why does this continue to be a "thing"?
Cus peoples bees ignernt.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

jmra I had two coffee choices. Try to hold it in and possibly choke to death or let it fly. You may owe me a laptop keyboard of my keys start sticking....
III

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

rbwhatever1 wrote:jmra I had two coffee choices. Try to hold it in and possibly choke to death or let it fly. You may owe me a laptop keyboard of my keys start sticking....
:mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

jmra wrote:
TexasRifleman wrote:I'm curious about something I have seen in this thread and others.

:iagree:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

mojo84
Posts in topic: 12

Post by mojo84 »

jmra wrote:

and nosy.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”