Hassle at Lakeline Mall

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Hassle at Lakeline Mall

Post by Ruark »

Like most (if not all) malls, Lakeline Mall, in Cedar Park in NW Austin, has no prohibition against CCW.

So I go there to see a movie. SIG P238 in an OWB @ 3 o'clock, under a tropical shirt. Arriving 90 minutes before the movie starts, I park my car out in the huge mall parking lot, stroll through several stores, etc. and eventually end up at the Regal theater, way down at the other end of the mall. I pay for tickets at the window, and just as I go in..... a 30-06 sign!!!! Bright and clear, right next to both entrance doors. Everything's correct - wording, English/Spanish, visibility, etc. BUT.... the letters are only 1/2 an inch tall.

So I have to make a decision. Say to myself "hey, it's not a legal sign!" and take a chance on getting arrested, taken to jail, paying bail, etc. and all that that would involve (including not picking my wife up from work that night), OR walking the FULL length of the huge mall back to my car and removing the gun, then slogging back to the theater.

Another option, of course, was to just not go to the movie, but I wanted to see the movie, and I resented this impingement on my freedom. Further, it's legal to carry in the mall, and the theater is inside the mall, so......??? But that's a debate for lawyers, not then, and probably not now.

Of course, I knew the chances of anybody spotting the gun on me were virtually zero. In my own interest, I'm not going to reveal my decision.

But you can see the conundrum here. What if several stores in the mall start doing this, even though the mall itself allows CCW?

Anyway.... the whole situation was a royal hassle, and I wanted to share it with you guys.
-Ruark

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hassle at Lakeline Mall

Post by Oldgringo »

Whatever the movie, it will be available via Netflix soon, if not now. Just sayin'....

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MotherBear »

Ruark wrote:But you can see the conundrum here. What if several stores in the mall start doing this, even though the mall itself allows CCW?
Well, I suppose you've got three options: 1) Don't shop in those stores. 2) Don't shop in the mall at all. 3) Disarm and shop there anyway.

I suppose you could write to mall management and protest that the individual stores are posting 30.06, but it seems like the most likely result there is getting the whole mall posted. I think it's owned/run by Simon, which also owns/runs the Round Rock Outlets, which are posted. My guess is that if Lakeline isn't posted it's because it hasn't crossed anyone's mind.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The letters were 1/2 inch. Non-compliant sign. Carry away and watch the movie.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Are individual stores allowed to post 30.06 even if the mall itself doesn't post? I would think that if the mall doesn't have a specific concealed weapons policy in the lease agreement that it is basically a free for all for those that have exterior entrances.

According to the OP it was a non-compliant sign but correct in every other way. I'd take that as a sign to never visit that theater again but if I had already paid for my ticket...
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I would have gone right on in to see the movie. I have gone right on past the little non-compliant sign at a UA theater to see a movie. I also think it was the last time I was in a UA theater.

I don't see any reason why a store inside of a mall couldn't post their own 30.06 sign. They are leasing that space. My problem is, I just don't if it would only apply to that store or not. Common sense would make it seem as though it would only apply to that store, but the law says premises and I can see a prosecutor, lawyer, or judge interpreting it to be the entire premises. But, with the caveat, that it may not because the individual store owner wouldn't have any say so over other stores or the mall itself.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I go past non-compliant signs. Statute is clear and precise on what is required. Not saying I would beat the ride though...
Ron
NRA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

Ask for a refund and go somewhere else. You know their intent. Don't give them your money.

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

rotor wrote:Ask for a refund and go somewhere else. You know their intent. Don't give them your money.
This^^^
NRA Life Member

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Ruark wrote:Like most (if not all) malls, Lakeline Mall, in Cedar Park in NW Austin, has no prohibition against CCW.

So I go there to see a movie. SIG P238 in an OWB @ 3 o'clock, under a tropical shirt. Arriving 90 minutes before the movie starts, I park my car out in the huge mall parking lot, stroll through several stores, etc. and eventually end up at the Regal theater, way down at the other end of the mall. I pay for tickets at the window, and just as I go in..... a 30-06 sign!!!! Bright and clear, right next to both entrance doors. Everything's correct - wording, English/Spanish, visibility, etc. BUT.... the letters are only 1/2 an inch tall.

So I have to make a decision. Say to myself "hey, it's not a legal sign!" and take a chance on getting arrested, taken to jail, paying bail, etc. and all that that would involve (including not picking my wife up from work that night), OR walking the FULL length of the huge mall back to my car and removing the gun, then slogging back to the theater.

Another option, of course, was to just not go to the movie, but I wanted to see the movie, and I resented this impingement on my freedom. Further, it's legal to carry in the mall, and the theater is inside the mall, so......??? But that's a debate for lawyers, not then, and probably not now.

Of course, I knew the chances of anybody spotting the gun on me were virtually zero. In my own interest, I'm not going to reveal my decision.

But you can see the conundrum here. What if several stores in the mall start doing this, even though the mall itself allows CCW?

Anyway.... the whole situation was a royal hassle, and I wanted to share it with you guys.
Wait, you went to the cinema at Lakeline? Do the bottom theaters still smell like wet socks? :eek6
There's a nice Alamo just a mile away...
Sounds like it wasn't a legal sign to begin with. Assuming it was or in the future one of us comes across, none on the board can advocate doing an illegal act.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Netflix / Good Home Sound System / Food at home is better, less costly and you can pause the movie anytime, AND be as armed as you care to be.

But, you say I want to see the movie of my choice NOW!

Well, you can't have everything you want and the wait won't hurt you, plus you won't have to tolerate the cell phone jerks pretending they're the center of the universe without regard to the discomfort of those trying to hear the movie and not them.

Or have to tolerate those who simply think a movie theatre is a place to carry on a loud conversation as if they're in their own living room.

bigity

Post by bigity »

Or just go to a gun friendly place like Alamo Drafthouse. No kids (in the evenings), no phones/texting, no talking, wait staff, good food (but not what I'd call cheap).

Also, they do fun stuff all the time, quote alongs for older classics, older movies I have never seen on the big screen (Alien, Big Trouble in Little China, etc).

And they have some good beer to enjoy while you watching your movie too.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

rtschl wrote:I go past non-compliant signs. Statute is clear and precise on what is required. Not saying I would beat the ride though...
:iagree:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Ruark wrote:Like most (if not all) malls, Lakeline Mall, in Cedar Park in NW Austin, has no prohibition against CCW.

Wait, you went to the cinema at Lakeline? Do the bottom theaters still smell like wet socks? :eek6
There's a nice Alamo just a mile away...
Sounds like it wasn't a legal sign to begin with. Assuming it was or in the future one of us comes across, none on the board can advocate doing an illegal act.
Very funny… I thought exactly the same thing.. Live near Lakeline Mall and it's probably been 10 years since i've seen a movie there. Several other superior theaters with in 15 mins of the mall.

RE: the original post though, my view has always been since the Legislature took the time to be very specific about the 30.06 posting requirements, I will choose be equally specific when deciding what I'm going to do when I see one.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

bigity wrote:Or just go to a gun friendly place like Alamo Drafthouse. No kids (in the evenings), no phones/texting, no talking, wait staff, good food (but not what I'd call cheap).

Also, they do fun stuff all the time, quote alongs for older classics, older movies I have never seen on the big screen (Alien, Big Trouble in Little China, etc).

And they have some good beer to enjoy while you watching your movie too.
We went to the Sean of the Dead quote along and the wife won the beer chugging contest beforehand. :cheers2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”