Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
glbedd53
Posts in topic: 4

Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas

Post by glbedd53 »

We're gonna be going to the 6th floor museum later in the month and never been there before and wonder if it's posted.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas

Post by C-dub »

It's been a while since anyone has posted any new information about the museum on this forum. Years ago, it was mentioned that the museum was posted with a sign that had lettering that was too small, but that they also had metal detectors and would prohibit firearms with no provisions for a CHL.

Their website states that they are owned by the Dallas County Historical Foundation, a private, nonprofit organization. They also state that the building is owned by Dallas County, which should make the entire building all clear for a CHL to carry unless there is some other reason that it would be off limits.

Over on Texas3006.com, poster JRDaniel states:
11-2-13 Update: I went there yesterday and didn't see a 30.06 notice anywhere. Just a circle/slash with a gun in it. People are entering with backpacks & nobody is being checked for anything.
Maybe they finally figured out that even though they are a private entity, they are still in/on government owned property and cannot legally prohibit a CHL from carrying.

Please let us know what you find after you visit the museum.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Sure will, thanks

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Why not try open carrying a 6.5 mm Carcano Model 91/38 carbine, since open carry of long arms is legal in our state. I am sure the people over at OCT and OCTC would think this a brilliant strategy to win the minds and hearts of people while fluffing the ego. Give it a shot (pardon the pun . . . or not) and let us know how it goes. :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :thumbs2: "rlol"
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Maybe if we knew what kind of rifle the real assassin used. Does the gift shop sell magic bullets?

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Jumping Frog wrote:Why not try open carrying a 6.5 mm Carcano Model 91/38 carbine, since open carry of long arms is legal in our state.
"rlol"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

glbedd53 wrote:Maybe if we knew what kind of rifle the real assassin used. Does the gift shop sell magic bullets?
We all know it wasn't magic anymore. It was Magneto trying to save the president that caused it's miraculous change of direction. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Warren Commission said the bullet changed direction because Oswald was using a cheap banana scope.

RCP

Post by RCP »

Hoping to hear good news back on this one, I'd love to go there. :tiphat:

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

RCP wrote:Hoping to hear good news back on this one, I'd love to go there. :tiphat:
Was there yesterday. A 'no guns' decal on the door, but no 30.06 that I saw. No wanding or airport-style security. Lots of folks with 'security' on their coats, but nobody was being searched.

kbak67

Post by kbak67 »

Glad I found this. Most other posts/forums are fairly old, so this is great news. Daughter wants to go in a couple of weeks and wants to take the TRE train, then hang about downtown a bit after the museum. really really not wanting to do that much being kind of "naked". thanks for posting, ralewis.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

kbak67 wrote:Glad I found this. Most other posts/forums are fairly old, so this is great news. Daughter wants to go in a couple of weeks and wants to take the TRE train, then hang about downtown a bit after the museum. really really not wanting to do that much being kind of "naked". thanks for posting, ralewis.
I found the place fascinating. Especially looking out that window. The range is so dang close. I would never have located a deer feeder as close to the blind as that third shot was from the sniper's nest.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
kbak67 wrote:Glad I found this. Most other posts/forums are fairly old, so this is great news. Daughter wants to go in a couple of weeks and wants to take the TRE train, then hang about downtown a bit after the museum. really really not wanting to do that much being kind of "naked". thanks for posting, ralewis.
I found the place fascinating. Especially looking out that window. The range is so dang close. I would never have located a deer feeder as close to the blind as that third shot was from the sniper's nest.
That's what I thought when we went there years ago. I was expecting a thousand yard shot possible only if Satan himself squeezed the trigger, not 200 feet or so.

Back then there was no lawful carry and there were metal detectors at the entrance to boot. Funny, now we can carry as a routine matter, and the metal detectors are gone from there. Interesting how that works, sometimes.

The pristine bullet wasn't so pristine, from what I've heard. Viewed end-on, it was squished out of shape.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Supposedly in September there is going to be a document dump on the assassination.

If I could see just one thing it would Lee Oswald's W2's.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”