Juvenile Psychiatric Hospitalization

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
db155
Posts in topic: 1

Juvenile Psychiatric Hospitalization

Post by db155 »

Hello, I 'm working on my CHL application and hope someone will be able to offer some advice.

When I was 7 (well over 20 years ago) my parents put me in a psychiatric hospital for a little over a month because I was diagnosed with clinical depression. I progressed enough that the doctors were comfortable releasing me and I remained under the care of a psychiatrist for a number of years thereafter.

My parents were told at the time, and it has been our understanding ever since, that records of this were sealed and that I would never have to put it on any sort of application. That being said, I'm not altogether convinced that sealed means sealed when it comes to the State and I'm not sure if I need to list this on my CHL application or not. It was a private hospital, not a state one, and it has been out of business for many years, so I'm not even sure if the state would be able to find a record of this even if they wanted to.

I'm very lucky in that my brain chemistry worked itself out as I got older and I have not needed any treatment in over 7 years. I know a letter from my old psychiatrist could give me the 'all clear' so to speak, but I'm not particularly keen on seeing him again as he doesn't accept insurance and the last time I saw him he charged something like $300 for a session (who knows how much it will be now).

Does anyone have any insight they can offer as to whether or not this is something I have to disclose? I know you generally are supposed to disclose sealed juvenile criminal records, but I have not been able to find any solid information regarding sealed juvenile psychiatric records.

Thank you.

jmra

Re: Juvenile Psychiatric Hospitalization

Post by jmra »

Welcome to the forum.
As I see it you have two options:
1. Full disclosure with a letter from the doc stating that you are now of sound mind.
2. Roll the dice. If something shows up they will more than likely ask for additional info.
If it were me I'd probably (without mentioning guns) contact the doctor and see what would be involved in obtaining a "clean bill of heath" letter.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

maintenanceguy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by maintenanceguy »

Lying on form 4473 is a felony. Answer each question accurately.

Carefully read question 11f and the instructions for 11f here: http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download ... 4473-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The answer depends in part on whether your hospitalization was voluntary or involuntary. As a minor, I'm not sure whether it's voluntary or involuntary if your parents place you there.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

maintenanceguy wrote:Lying on form 4473 is a felony. Answer each question accurately.

Carefully read question 11f and the instructions for 11f here: http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download ... 4473-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The answer depends in part on whether your hospitalization was voluntary or involuntary. As a minor, I'm not sure whether it's voluntary or involuntary if your parents place you there.
At 7 years old, I'm pretty sure he wasn't "adjudicated mentally defective". That requires going to court. :roll:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

maintenanceguy wrote:Lying on form 4473 is a felony. Answer each question accurately.

And this is not a 4473, it is a CHL application. :totap:

As for disclosing the issue, I would suggest option 1 of jmra's post. If you disclose up front, and include a letter from the physisican stating you are clear of any issues, then you should be good to go on that aspect.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

You are off base.

First, he wasn't talking about Form 4473. Second, there are a long list of conditions attached to answering that question, including but not limited to "adjudication".
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

Pawpaw wrote:

At 7 years old, I'm pretty sure he wasn't "adjudicated mentally defective". That requires going to court. :roll:
I misunderstood and thought he was talking about purchasing, not getting chl.

But I still stand by my statement (concerning the 4473). the definitions are not as obvious or common sense as they should be. And...I do know a guy who was denied a purchase during a NICs check when he was in his early 30's for a 2 week hospital stay when he was 15, after his parents divorced. He was not adjudicated mentally defective by a court nor was he involuntarily admited to the hospital.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

maintenanceguy wrote:And...I do know a guy who was denied a purchase during a NICs check when he was in his early 30's for a 2 week hospital stay when he was 15, after his parents divorced. He was not adjudicated mentally defective by a court nor was he involuntarily admited to the hospital.
The NICS system is well known for erroneous or improper delays or denials. Just because you know someone who was denied does not mean he was properly denied. That is exactly why the appeals process exists.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”