Best Zombie CHL Carry Gun

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Tazman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Best Zombie CHL Carry Gun

Post by Tazman »

In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse, you won't need to carry concealed! :fire

I would want the gun or guns with the most commonly available ammo - that way when I come across a camp that has been overrun, I can scavenge all of the available ammo and use it. A gun without bullets or bullets without the appropriate gun are worthless. So I would like to have a gun of each caliber just in case I run out of ammo or in case I come across some spare ammo.

Not a gun, but I do like the Samurai blade that Michon carries - long enough and lethal enough to remove the head at a safe distance. So definitely one of those and in the unfortunate event the zombies get closer, I would want a fixed blade knife to insert into the softer tissues (eyes, ears, nose) of the zombie skull.

Finally, you need a group of folks you can trust and know how to utilize weapons (or who are at least trainable) - not only will you have to worry about the zombies, but also the others who my try to overrun you to take what you have!

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

I imaging a armed vehicle with rotating horizontal blade mounted at 1.6m above ground in front of said vehicle, it would shop all zombies out there.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

Beiruty wrote:The zombie movies are a bit silly, If Zombie has only legs and teeth as weapon. Then a Simple APC with few machine guns and few snipers from elevated post behind 10ft walls would wipe them off. If they keep coming shoot more. If no more ammo, you can use your bow/cross bow and and you can retrieve your arrows between wave and wave of zombies. Oh, you can use APC as bulldozer and run them all over.

was thinking more of a duece and a half or an old Dodge Power Wagon mounted with a .50 cal heavy barrel mg... will need the high ground clearance to run over the piled up bodies... :lol:
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

goose wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Ruger 22/45 with spare magazines and a backpack full of ammo. A .22 will destroy the brain just as easily as a 9mm or .45, and you can carry a lot more ammo. :mrgreen:

I love .45 ACP pistols, and .357s, and about everything else; but let's get practical for a moment. Is a .45 between the eyes any more or less effective than a .22? No. I've seen a number of people who were shot dead with a single .22 bullet in the brain. They were still breathing when they got to my ER, but not for long. If a zombie is already dead and brain destruction is the key, then there's no "wait time" for them to "die".

Heavier calibers will be necessary - both in handguns and rifles - but those will be necessary for dealing with the living human predators who will arise in any apocalypse. Zombies only require a .22 in the brain. I have it on Good Authority: Day by Day Armageddon.
Your signal to noise ratio is intimidating to the rest of us. Do you ever screw up and just get something wrong? :-)
Sure. Just ask my wife. "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Beiruty wrote:The zombie movies are a bit silly, If Zombie has only legs and teeth as weapon. Then a Simple APC with few machine guns and few snipers from elevated post behind 10ft walls would wipe them off. If they keep coming shoot more. If no more ammo, you can use your bow/cross bow and and you can retrieve your arrows between wave and wave of zombies. Oh, you can use APC as bulldozer and run them all over.
I was thinking more of a Roman or Greek phalanx with shields to hold them back and spears/sword to hack at them. Maybe with riflemen inbetween to hit them at distance.

Really, any situation where most of the zombies live more than a few weeks is magic.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The REAL question is: In the event of a zombie apocalypse, will you open carry or conceal carry?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The REAL question is: In the event of a zombie apocalypse, will you open carry or conceal carry?
Both. Never know what sort of cook survivors might be hanging around.

bigity
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bigity »

MechAg94 wrote:
I was thinking more of a Roman or Greek phalanx with shields to hold them back and spears/sword to hack at them. Maybe with riflemen inbetween to hit them at distance.

Really, any situation where most of the zombies live more than a few weeks is magic.
A zombie isn't dangerous. Alot of them are :P

But you'd think they would rot apart alot faster than TWD.

If you haven't read them, and are into this kind of silliness, Max Brooks has some excellent zombie books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

patterson
Posts in topic: 2

Post by patterson »

In one episode a fire hose dissolved zombies to nothing

bigity

Post by bigity »

patterson wrote:In one episode a fire hose dissolved zombies to nothing
Yea but that makes me question how they are able to walk around. I mean, it seems an odd thing to question considering dead people are wandering around, but don't they freeze? Fall apart? Muscles and tendons break and tear?

Do they eventually 'starve'? Not too many zombie stories really address that kind of thing :D
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I would have gone with the .22LR, but I didn't know if it would be sufficient enough for this theoretical exercise. I don't know much about zombies. I guess my only problem with a .22LR is that mine are a little more finicky to humidity than the larger calibers and tend to malfunction more often.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I think I would use one of those silly grizzly suits and just walk to the docks, board a nice strong sail boat, and sail my butt to a really nice zombie free island with some pretty girls and a physician or two. I would build a still and make foo foo fruity drinks and chill at the beach feeling bad for all the poor sweaty folks who cannot seem to get out of Georgia.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I think the 22 idea is good; doesn't someone make a 22 mini gun?
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Mhoward

Post by Mhoward »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Ruger 22/45 with spare magazines and a backpack full of ammo. A .22 will destroy the brain just as easily as a 9mm or .45, and you can carry a lot more ammo. :mrgreen:

I love .45 ACP pistols, and .357s, and about everything else; but let's get practical for a moment. Is a .45 between the eyes any more or less effective than a .22? No. I've seen a number of people who were shot dead with a single .22 bullet in the brain. They were still breathing when they got to my ER, but not for long. If a zombie is already dead and brain destruction is the key, then there's no "wait time" for them to "die".

Heavier calibers will be necessary - both in handguns and rifles - but those will be necessary for dealing with the living human predators who will arise in any apocalypse. Zombies only require a .22 in the brain. I have it on Good Authority: Day by Day Armageddon.
Day by Day Armageddon was a good one. If anyone is looking for an excellent zombie story check out Adrians Undead Diary, my favorite hands down, http://adriansundeaddiary.com/drpage1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , it is written as a journal and is pretty long but it is worth it. The author finished it a few years ago but I remember many nights where I would stay up to about 1AM waiting for him to post that days new entry. There are also side stories that go along with that are about other people on the opposite side of the world, one was a Seal team in Afghanistan that had to deal with ex-terrorist zombies. You have to figure out how to navigate the journal entries and side stories though so they stay in order, should be a table of contents somewhere on the page. I think I might start reading it again. The main character stuck to a AR platform .22 and a few Glocks, I believe I would do the same.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Two handguns, one for "high capacity," one for "high power."

High capacity, some flavor of double-stack .45. Contenders for the list are an XD-45 and a Kimber Poly Custom. I choose .45 to cause as much undead dain bramage as possible, the better to flip the switch permanently off. One would assume that, being undead, zombies would already have some brain damage from necrosis; I would want to increase that as much as possible. A shambler paralyzed in one arm from a .33 won't cut it for me.

High power, for use in "line 'em up and stack 'em up" situations where shoot-throughs reaching multiple targets are a possibility, Ruger Super Redhawk .454. Same size bullet, lots more power, ought to work a bit better in "crowd-clearing" zombie applications when I don't have a rifle.

Speaking of rifles, I'd probably go with an AR of some flavor, but loaded up with softpoint ammo to mitigate the bullet's small size, possibly alternating with FMJ for the above-mentioned "crowd-clearing" application. But who knows, FMJ might prove sufficient in and of itself; I've never fought off undead hordes of hungry zombies before.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”