How Often Do you Clean Your Primary Carry Handgun

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

How Often Do you Clean Your Primary Carry Handgun

Post by howdy »

I carry a Glock 19 in a IWB holster and I try to break it down once a week to clean it. I always clean it after I shoot it. I guess I went too long this last time and the gun was FILTHY. There was dust/skin all down the barrel and all in the slide. There was also a fur ball in the barrel. The feed ramp was white with dust. I trust the Glock to fire when dirty but this was beyond what I would normally see as far as dirty. I also carry a LCP in a Meco pocket holster and it gets especially dirty.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Abraham

Re: How Often Do you Clean Your Primary Carry Handgun

Post by Abraham »

Always after shooting it.

If I can't get to the range for awhile, I periodically break it down and give it light cleaning and lube.

I find inside the barrel rather dirty/dusty usually if it's been over a couple of weeks.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I carry a Glock 19 IWB everyday. I clean it after every range trip. Other than cleaning after shooting all I do is strip it down and wipe it out about once a month and that is all I do.

I have never had any problems with mine. I have had this G19 for about two years.

jmra

Post by jmra »

This thread topic reminds me of something I've heard discussed over the years. I've heard from a couple of experienced gun enthusiast and LEO with many years experience that they will not carry a weapon as their primary that has been disassembled and cleaned without shooting it again to verify proper operation. I understand the thought process but wanted your thoughts on the practice.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

About every 500-800 rounds. Could be a weekend, could be a month. It's a Glock, I'm not worried about lint causing a problem.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

After shooting yes. However, I know I should field strip, clean, and oil it up periodically even if I don't shoot it. I don't do that often enough.

Itnkrman

Post by Itnkrman »

After every trip to the range and approximately monthly there after. Not because it's especially dirty, I just don't take it out of the holster much. But when I do I just want to fondle it and feel all it's hard steal, smooth grooves, powerful edges and lavish in it's intoxicating scent as I rub oil all over it. I might even indulge in mesmerizing fantasies during the cleanup process as well! :drool: :anamatedbanana :smilelol5:
Ruger SR9c
Taurus PT640 Pro
Bersa 380
Stevens 20ga.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Rarely, or at least not a "by the book" cleaning. But then, my off-duty carry is/has been a revolver lately. :biggrinjester:

Honestly, I rarely clean the barrel ever. Modern primers and powder are non-corrosive, so unless you're shooting unjacketed lead out of polygonal rifling, you're not going to really have any reason or advantage to keeping that clean (short of obstructions, etc). The main issue with modern ammo is residue buildup in the action, and I do clean that, to ensure proper function. Beyond that, I don't really see the point, unless it's a shiny sparkly BBQ gun.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

After every range trip and about once a month I pull all of mine out of the safe and give them a wipe down and shot of oil just to keep them happy.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

RPBrown wrote:After every range trip and about once a month I pull all of mine out of the safe and give them a wipe down and shot of oil just to keep them happy.
Are you sure its to keep them happy, or is it so that you can grope and fondle them?

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Mine gets cleaned at least once a week because it gets shot at least once a week :fire.

Once a month everything in the safe gets cleaned and oiled JIC corrosion tries to rear its ugly head.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

flechero

Post by flechero »

jmra wrote:This thread topic reminds me of something I've heard discussed over the years. I've heard from a couple of experienced gun enthusiast and LEO with many years experience that they will not carry a weapon as their primary that has been disassembled and cleaned without shooting it again to verify proper operation. I understand the thought process but wanted your thoughts on the practice.

I also want to verify, so I use the pencil trick as I do the final wipe down...

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

I clean after every firing.

I clean pocket carried guns when I see significant amounts of lint.

Most of my guns are carried OWB and don't collect enough dirt between range trips to need cleaning. I figure if I go long enough between range trips to see significant lint on those guns, I'm overdue for a trip to the range.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I unload inspect and wipe down my 38 one a week. :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

Excaliber wrote:I clean after every firing.

I clean pocket carried guns when I see significant amounts of lint.
That, or whenever it looks like the lube has dried up (press check, look at the rails), or whenever it's been so long that I refuse to believe that the lube is still good even though it looks fine (which is what's been happening to me lately).
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”