CHL Holder Stops Man Beating a Woman

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL Holder Stops Man Beating a Woman

Post by E.Marquez »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
However to stop the assault you may have to commit murder and have no witness on your side. the person you're defending may actually attack you or be an active witness against you. You should be aware of that.
I assume you mean Justifiable Homicide? Not murder .. YES?

Homicide
The killing of one human being by another human being.

Murder
The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

E.Marquez wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
However to stop the assault you may have to commit murder and have no witness on your side. the person you're defending may actually attack you or be an active witness against you. You should be aware of that.

Homicide

Murder
Derp you still may have to kill someone and then defend yourself in court against the very person you were trying to protect. There's no good samaritan law to protect you.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Homicide

Murder
Derp you still may have to kill someone and then defend yourself in court against the very person you were trying to protect. There's no good samaritan law to protect you.
OK :tiphat:

Got you.... just words then..but I understand.
From my position I would be committing homicide,, but yes, the DA might charge me with murder, a charge I might have to defend against i court, and yes, one of the prosecution witnesses might be the observed victim.. yup, that's
always a possibility.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jayinsat »

THE CHL Holder broke his silence and gave an interview.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart ... d=10985878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

If one wants to stress what MAY happen, one may just save a life and the victim MAY be thankful and MAY feel forever grateful.

It comes down to how much one values human life. Many complain how New Yorkers and other big city people don't care about others and won't get involved then brag about how they would do the same. I bet some of you would have a completely different opinion if someone stepped in and stopped you from getting a complete beat down. Would you tell the person he shouldn't have stepped in to help? Kind of crazy. To each his own though. Hope you never come across someone needing help or need help yourself.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

jayinsat wrote:THE CHL Holder broke his silence and gave an interview.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart ... d=10985878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank God for men like him. Didn't come across as a "batman" at all.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

There are some clear cut scenarios.

I think almost all of us would step up to the plate if: We witness a 10 year child being punched by a full grown man, etc. No way this could be O.K. Step up and rescue.

When the circumstances are so clear cut we'll all step up.

But, there are mucho scenarios when calling 911 and being a good witness is the best plan of action.

While I exercise a lot, I do so within the limits of being banged up a lot too. Shoulder, knee, spine, foot, multiple internal surgeries, and that ain't all, plus close to being a septuagenarian, I'm not going to involve myself physically unless I really, really have to.

What does that mean?

In most cases to help others in dire straits, I've got go to guns in order to rescue.

I need to be certain I'm in the right.

Going to jail, being charged etc., isn't something I ever want to face to help some stranger unless I'm absolutely certain I'm in the right.

Some go where angels fear to tread and my hat's off to them. I also fear for their future when they do...

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Abraham wrote:T
I think almost all of us would step up to the plate if: We witness a 10 year child being punched by a full grown man, etc. No way this could be O.K. Step up and rescue.

What about a 10 year old being kidnapped?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

cb1000rider,

You thinking it's a kidnapping, (when in actuality it's a parent dealing with an unruly child) and while thinking it's a kidnapping, blast the offender only to find out it was the dad or something like that?

Hey, we can come up with a jillion ambiguous scenarios...

That's why being certain of the situation is so important.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jayinsat wrote:THE CHL Holder broke his silence and gave an interview.
Now I understand why he didn't use his car for cover; his wife was in it. I thought the video showed a guy that had some experience with handguns, now we know why.

Good job.
Chas.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Taypo »

My main concern is my family first, the general public is a distant second. Not sure how I feel about clearing leather in the middle of the street with my wife in the car behind me, and I'm certain that I don't want the entire Southlake PD with me in their sight picture while she watches. Watching the video of that, I was struck by how close this guy was to dying in the street, courtesy of the cops, if he had done just one thing wrong. Luckily he had some experience, but how many CHL holders would have reacted as professionally as he did?

Personally, I'm calling 911 and staying put.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScooterSissy »

jmra wrote:Fortunately this individual did not believe a batman license was necessary in order to intervene on behalf of someone in need.
Some people are wired to intervene and some are not, but to use the "batman license" thing as a excuse suggest that those who are wired to intervene are somehow wrong for doing so. That stance is getting pretty old.
I agree, and am also tired of seeing the "batman" comments (when used inappropriately). There are definitely times when people with CHL's should not assume any active stance, but when someone is actually being assaulted, a person is not playing "batman" when they intervene. This guy did nothing wrong. I don't fault anyone that would choose not to become involved, but I applaud folks like this one who are willing to step in when needed.
Salty1 wrote:I saw this and the video on 5 News and was torn regarding the legality of threatening deadly force in this situation. Granted the man was hitting the woman but does this warrant drawing down on the guy? I would be more inclined to try to break it up rather than pull my gun which in itself could constitute deadly conduct. This seems to be one of those gray areas and depending on the PD and DA could land somebody in a pile of trouble facing serious charges and expenses. I am interested in what the LEO's thoughts on this would be and how their department would address this type of situation.
I'm jumping in a little late, but have the advantage of hearing an interview this morning with the CHL holder involved. He not only had a CHL, but he worked in security overseas after serving in the military, and also has a Texas private security license as well as being a firearms instructor.

He also instructed his wife to call 911 while he stopped the guy. He didn't initially pull his gun, only doing so when the attacker started to get out of the car, and he (the CHL holder) felt he was going to be attacked.

I think he did well.
Right2Carry wrote:They don't pay me to intervene in domestic disputes, that is why I pay taxes to the city and state. I let the professionals handle it.
Good for you. However, I don't see any need to demean those who view things differently.
Right2Carry wrote:... See below as I am not the only one who thinks this type of intervention is not encouraged. Nothing in the article suggests that a 911 call wouldn't have achieved the same result. If you want to argue with the experts I am sure the Southlake police department will be happy to entertain your phone call.

“While we commend this citizen's willingness to get involved in order to protect a victim of crime, the Southlake Police Department does not encourage the public to expose themselves in such a manner,” Mylett said. “Instead, we strongly recommend” that people who witness a crime call 911.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... rylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wouldn't consider that comment from the SPD to carry much weight. Many PD Chiefs would just as soon we not be allowed to carry at all. The CHL holder's wife did call 911. It still took the police a few minutes to get there. I wonder what the chief's comments would be had the fatal blow been delivered in the few minutes it took for the PD to arrive...
rotor wrote:Good citizen pulls gun and fighting does not stop. What does he do next? Or what if bad guy pulls a gun? This can all turn into a much worse scenario than was bargained for and just like the woman beaten in the elevator by her football player husband who she loves and adores (and who brings home the paycheck) she will stand by her man. I vote for letting the cops handle this one.
Except according to the interview I heard this morning, that's not quite the way it happened. Good guy intervened by shouting "commands". That stopped the assault against the woman, but then the attacker turned his attention to the good guy. That's when he drew.
CoffeeNut wrote:Everyone saying DV calls have a high rate of violence toward the first responders are correct but the police only get one side of the story over the phone and they haven't a clue as to what they're walking into. However If I'm witnessing a whoopin with my own two eyes then I think my chances of a successful intervention are a little higher than walking into an unknown. Every situation is different but I know that if I was getting my face smashed in I would want someone to help me out.
See the part in bold, and that's a very good point. I still applaud what this guy did, but have to point out another thing he said in the interview this morning (on the Mark Davis show, with a substitute host). The good guy said that the police told him one of the 911 calls that came in stated that they thought someone was trying to carjack using a gun! That is also worth thinking about...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”