Yet another effective notice given question - hospital

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 2

Yet another effective notice given question - hospital

Post by johncanfield »

Ran into this situation this week, had to have an MRI taken at a local hospital and the lady was shoving a bunch of forms to me to sign before the MRI. One of the several various paragraphs caught my attention - it was the old wording prior to 30.06 banning firearms. I signed the form and then she verbally summarized what I signed including the statement that "no concealed firearms are permitted."

I wasn't carrying but I was wondering about effective notice. Since she told me "no firearms", that was good enough but I'm wondering about the old wording in the form banning concealed weapons. BTW, didn't see any 30.06 signs on the doors I went in.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

chamberc
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Yet another effective notice given question - hospital

Post by chamberc »

You were notified.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I'm surprised they were not posted. I have not seen any hospitals or surgery centers without a 30.06 sign (sort of). I guess they are old-school. However, you have been given "effective notice", according to DPS standards.

:tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Abbsent the verbal notification, you'd probably be OK, legally, but... An MRI is one of those thing in which I'd say that taking a weapon into the MRI room would be foolish. The magnet in one of those machines was powerful enough to rip a pair of shears off the duty belt of my partner while we were transferring a patient from our cot onto their sled. I've also come close to having my eyeglasses sucked off my head when getting a little too close... i'd hate to see some big ol' hunk of steel slapped upside someone's head by the magnetic force.

Most places have you (the patient) change into scrubs or a hospital gown, leaving all of your personal property in the locker room before you go out - so in that case, you'd be leaving your weapon unattended. And even though some places allow you to lock the door with a person PIN (on an electric lock) or a key (with a manual lock), I'd still rather not carry into one of those places.

BTE: with regard to SKESTHLEY's comment: around the DFW, many MRI's are located in shopping centers or freestanding buildings not on a hospital's property or at a surgical center, so the automatic 30.06 posting is less likely to happen. I know the MRI operation I go to (an "open" MRI for those of us that get very claustrophobic) and the one my wife went to during her cancer diagnosis and treatment were neither one posted with 30.06 signs, and the one she went to had a big sign warning against taking a whole list of items into the MRI area only (firearms included on that list, as were tools, telephones, cameras, food, and cigarettes, and a lot of other metallic and non-metallic stuff).
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

I had the same hospital try to bamboozle me to sign away my rights on two different occasions.

First time the clerk was going over admittance forms for a Cat Scan. The forms where digital and I was sitting across from her viewing them on a monitor. She went through & explained the forms quickly as I sat quietly. She then got to the end and told me to sign (digital pad).

I asked her to scroll back up so I could read the forms. She scrolled back up and started again explaining what the forms said. I asked her to let me read without her help. I then saw a section that had me ceding all means of recourse (my consumer & legal rights) to anyone associated with the hospital, including all contractors.

I was indignant and told her I would not sign and would go to another hospital for the scan. She said no problem, & quickly scrolled below the signature line, to the next section that stated, "Refused to Sign".

She intentionally hid this section that showed I had the option to refuse to sign. I was very angry & let her know.

A year later I needed another test. Same hospital, different clerk, same scenario. I mentioned something to the clerk about the last time they tried to shyster me & she didnt comment. I repeated the shyster objection and stated that there better not be anymore surprising revelations, and she mumbled a response I couldnt make out.

Well, she must not have taken me serious as she pulled the same stunt. I got up and told her I didnt do business with flim-flam businesses and walked out. She tried to get me to stay & kept saying I didnt have to sign. I replied that I knew that. Then I went to another hospital and was treated with honesty and respect.

The flim-flam hospital is very conveniently located, about 8 minutes from my house. We have since drove by it to other hospitals 30 minutes away for treatment.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

SNIP
n5wd wrote:Abbsent the verbal notification, you'd probably be OK, legally, but... An MRI is one of those thing in which I'd say that taking a weapon into the MRI room would be foolish. The magnet in one of those machines was powerful enough to rip a pair of shears off the duty belt of my partner while we were transferring a patient from our cot onto their sled. I've also come close to having my eyeglasses sucked off my head when getting a little too close... i'd hate to see some big ol' hunk of steel slapped upside someone's head by the magnetic force.
Good point.
Boy, 6, Killed in Freak MRI Accident
July 31

A 6-year-old boy died after undergoing an MRI exam at a New York-area hospital when the machine's powerful magnetic field jerked a metal oxygen tank across the room, crushing the child's head.

The force of the device's 10-ton magnet is about 30,000 times as powerful as Earth's magnetic field, and 200 times stronger than a common refrigerator magnet.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92745
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

n5wd wrote:Abbsent the verbal notification, you'd probably be OK, legally, but... An MRI is one of those thing in which I'd say that taking a weapon into the MRI room would be foolish...
No, I wouldn't do that :tiphat: . Figured with the verbal, I could not legally carry there. (Then the question is, does it apply to the entire campus or just the small MRI building - Hmmmmm...)

Thanks everybody for the responses.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”