Non-CHL Carrying While Bicycling

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jamminbutter
Posts in topic: 1

Non-CHL Carrying While Bicycling

Post by jamminbutter »

A friend (non-CHL holder) I bicycle with asked if he would be covered by the MPA. The placement of the weapon would be in a Bento Box mounted on the top tube or a tail bag mounted to the seat post, not on his person.
Since bicycles can use public streets he thinks that MPA should apply.
We reviewed PC 46.02 and TC 541.201(11) and it would seem that MPA would not cover since a bicycle is not self propelled and there is an explicit exclusion for electric powered bicycles. I told him to consult a lawyer but that I would post an inquiry on here as well.

AlaskanInTexas

Re: Non-CHL Carrying While Bicycling

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Doesn't qualify for the MPA.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The law specifically states 'motor vehicle', so a bicycle is not covered. Here is the text http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80 ... 01815F.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The definition of 'motor vehicle is here http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... TN.541.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(11) "Motor vehicle" means a self-propelled vehicle or a vehicle that is propelled by electric power from overhead trolley wires. The term does not include an electric bicycle or an electric personal assistive mobility device, as defined by Section 551.201.
So, no.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

camjr

Post by camjr »

I ride between 50-100 miles each week as part of my fitness plan. I do have my CHL, so I do carry on my bike. I carry a 642 J Frame in a small handlebar bag with a Nemesis pocket holster I velcro into the bag along with a speed strip reload. I can quickly detach and take the bag with me if need be. I also have my DL, CHL, a small amount of cash, and my phone in the bag. With the short days right now, I do a lot of riding at night and am glad to have it along for the ride.

Cheers,

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”