Carry 'around the house'?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
orionsgunbelt
Posts in topic: 2

Carry 'around the house'?

Post by orionsgunbelt »

Hey all, new guy here. Just trying to learn as much as I can while waiting for my license to be issued...

Wondering how many folks here carry while just at home, whether working out in the yard or being lazy in the recliner. And if so, do you 'open carry' while at home, or concealed? I've seen some say that they carry all the time even while at home and my initial reaction was, 'really?'. But the more I think about it, with the frequency of home invasions here in Houston (happening more and more in West/NorthWest, where I reside, and once considered a very safe area to be), I'm thinking maybe it's not so crazy. Although, my wife would probably think otherwise, but that's another topic :???: .

Looking forward to your thoughts.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry 'around the house'?

Post by MeMelYup »

orionsgunbelt wrote:Hey all, new guy here. Just trying to learn as much as I can while waiting for my license to be issued...

Wondering how many folks here carry while just at home, whether working out in the yard or being lazy in the recliner. And if so, do you 'open carry' while at home, or concealed? I've seen some say that they carry all the time even while at home and my initial reaction was, 'really?'. But the more I think about it, with the frequency of home invasions here in Houston (happening more and more in West/NorthWest, where I reside, and once considered a very safe area to be), I'm thinking maybe it's not so crazy. Although, my wife would probably think otherwise, but that's another topic :???: .

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Carry all the time. That way I don't have to check to see if I have forgotten anything. My keys are in my pocket, that way if I am outside and need to get something out of the car, I can get it without having to go get my keys first. The same goes for a firearm.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I at least have one close to me if not on me.

As a side note, use the time you have waiting to carry around the house. Learn what meat hiss work for you and what doesn't. Also to get used to the weapon being on your person. This way you will be a little more accustomed to carrying when the plastic comes
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I carry everywhere it's legal outside the home, but no, not in the house or yard. Many on this forum do though.

That said, I've many firearms near at hand, with the exception of the garage.

Now that I've said that, I'll put one in the garage.

Heck, I spend a lot of time in there working on this and that.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

orionsgunbelt wrote:... with the frequency of home invasions here in Houston (happening more and more in West/NorthWest, where I reside, ...
:iagree:
As my profile notes, I am up in the Klein area (north of Champions, south of Tomball).

When I just opened the TexasCHLForum "View New Posts" page and clicked through to this thread, I am sitting here in my family room on the computer with a full size S&W M&P on my hip. I put the gun on when I put my pants on at 6:30 this morning. Wore it when I went to Walmart, Costco, the gas station, my back yard, and around the house ever since. It will still be there when I go to Mass at 4:30 today. It will come off my hip and go on my nightstand when I change into my pajamas and get ready for bed this evening.
:thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

I carry everything on my person at home that I would if I was anywhere else. I always have a firearm within arms reach.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Javier730 wrote:I carry everything on my person at home that I would if I was anywhere else. I always have a firearm within arms reach.

+1

I have a firearm on me at all times; even in the house. It's just natural.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

In my holster on my hip wherever not prohibited by law. In the house, at all times.

I do not rearrange the linkages so that today the clutch is on the left, brake in the middle, and accelerator on the right; and tomorrow the clutch and brake change places. One configuration - pistol holstered (I'm too set-in-my-ways to even alternate pistols) all the time; that way, if I need it it's there.

Haven't ever needed it yet - but like a parachute, it only takes once.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I carry outside of the home 100% of the time, but I usually unholster when I get home, and I set the gun where it will be handy and nearby. I tried carrying around inside the house, but I have a jacked up back, and it is hard enough to wear my gun all day when I'm away from home because it causes me pain if I leave it on long enough. So when I get home, I take it off and keep it handy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

I carry all day , when I get home I'll carry till I take my work clothes off , pistol layed on my chest of drawers . I never intentionally carry outside in the yard unless I haven't changed . We live in a small quiet community semi in the country . Whenever we leave home I am carrying .

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

If I am wearing pants, I am wearing a pistol. It is just a part of being dressed like having your keys and wallet in your pocket. My EDC, a full size M&P, is sitting on my hip right now in an IWB holster.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

carry constantly while in the house... both conceal and open... my thinking is carrying open in the house around my kids will get use to being around guns.... when outside its concealed... also my thinking is don't need to advertise that there are weapons in the house...
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I carry as often as possible and that includes the house. Sometimes I'll skip wearing the gun and just move it room to room as I transition and sometimes I'll switch to my ankle holster so I can wear my fat pants. It can be a hassle but a home invasion is worse.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

My son, DIL, and grandkids live on a 77-acre ranch on the northwest side of DFW. We've got a nice year-round creek flowing on one side of the property, which means that we get all kinds of critters running around including deer, feral pigs on occassion, coyotes, snakes, armadillos, and numerous other four and more-legged animals, some of which can be hazardous to our cats, dogs, goats, cattle and... Well, you get the idea. We're also outside the city limits of any towns, so we rely upon the Sherrif's Office for law enforcement services and in the evening hours there may be as few as six deputies on duty throughout the entire county. And though they've responded fairly quickly to the non-emergencies that we've already had (my son discovered an open front door one evening while returning with the family after a dinner out, and we've had the odd tresspassers using our and neighbor's property as their hunting grounds), I wouldn't want to wait that long in an emergency.

Long way of saying: yes, if we're out on the property, we're armed. Inside the main house, my son is usually wearing his, and I've got mine nearby, if not on me. He tends to wear his OWB, i tend to have mine IWB, though I do carry OWB occassionally when I'm out on the property in the Gator.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

nocents

Post by nocents »

Absolutely carry at home mostly IWB. People seem to come over and I don't want to advertise I'm carrying. The family knows I do. Today, the bride and I put up a teeter totter in the backyard for the grandkids and I was toting my 1911 45cal and it sure felt good!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”