Signed up for a Tough Mudder... Now what about my gun?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TVegas
Posts in topic: 4

Signed up for a Tough Mudder... Now what about my gun?

Post by TVegas »

Howdy guys & gals,

I recently signed up to run a Tough Mudder with two friends. It is a 10-12 mile mud run with 20-25 military-style obstacles (emphasis is heavily on the MUD part). To get a better idea of what all this challenge entails, please take a moment to watch this short video: [video][/video]

I've started training and have that under control, but I wonder about what to do with my S&W Shield 9 EDC. I looked over the CHL Laws and don't know that this necessarily qualifies as a sporting event at which I could not carry. Do I have this wrong?

If I am legal to carry at a Tough Mudder, I need to figure out the right equipment I will need to do it safely. I'm really not concerned with getting my Shield wet and muddy. They are highly reliable weapons and people have put them through more direct abuse than it will take during that run. Also, my carry gun is a workhorse, not a safe queen. I don't get upset over scratches and blemishes.

I need something lightweight, streamlined, and SAFE to carry it in. I was thinking of using this Mountainsmith fanny pack, http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Lum ... 00QVATVOE#, (same one Nutnfancy uses) with a kydex trigger guard tethered to the inside of the pack.

I would really appreciate any legal issues I may have overlooked, and also any recommendations about carry equipment.

Thanks and Gig'em!
Last edited by TVegas on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Signed up for a Tough Mudder... Now what about my carry

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I am personally well beyond being able to participate in one of these things, but I wish they had them when I was a young man, because I was fit and able back then, and that looks like a whole lot of fun. I know other friends who've done one and loved it. It seems like a very good training thing, in addition to just being fun.

I would say that whether or not you can carry depends on whether or not it is a "professional" event. Are people competing for cash prizes? Then it might be considered "professional". I don't know for sure.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
TVegas

Post by TVegas »

Thanks for the quick reply!

AFAIK, there are no cash prizes. In fact, there are no "winners". This run is not a race. It is about teamwork and determination to overcome the challenge. So, while there may be people who have done this 10+ times and may be "professional", I do not know that it qualifies for the legal definition.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

TVegas wrote:Thanks for the quick reply!

AFAIK, there are no cash prizes. In fact, there are no "winners". This run is not a race. It is about teamwork and determination to overcome the challenge. So, while there may be people who have done this 10+ times and may be "professional", I do not know that it qualifies for the legal definition.
Professional usually means they are paid and do this as their profession, just as a Doctor or Lawyer would be paid for their 'profession. Professional football, basketball, etc is what those guys do for a living.

So, while we really don't have case law in Texas defining what is and isn't a professional sporting event, I believe this would not meet the intent of the law when written, so you would have a good argument that it was not a professional sporting event, especially if 'amateurs' were allowed to participate and no one is getting paid.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
TVegas

Re: Signed up for a Tough Mudder... Now what about my gun?

Post by TVegas »

Thanks Keith,

That's what I figured. So it looks like my Shield and I will be getting very close and dirty together.

Any thoughts on the carry method? I know I will be cursing the weight, but it is completely worth it.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

TVegas wrote:Thanks Keith,

That's what I figured. So it looks like my Shield and I will be getting very close and dirty together.

Any thoughts on the carry method? I know I will be cursing the weight, but it is completely worth it.
Unless you already have a method of secure concealed carry wearing the clothing you will have one and have tried it under extreme conditions, I would be cautious of carrying during the event.

That said, I would suggest something that doesn't rely on being supported by your clothing, like a Smart Carry holster http://www.smartcarry.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or Thunderwear http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You might also checkout something like the 511 Teactical Gear holster undershirts http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS- ... 728&rid=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TomV

Post by TomV »

I haven't done a mudder, but I am running my second Spartan and did two other runs last year.

There is NO WAY I would consider carrying on the course. Bring a friend who has a CHL. Put it in your duffel bag with your towel and change of clothes.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

I have never done that event, but I've done numerous triathlon and running events, including an Ironman. I was also an event coordinator and director for several years. Be sure to check whatever organization is providing the insurance for the event. Usually, its done through a national organization that all participants are required to join. Their rules may state no carrying during events as part of being a member. While not 30.06 so it wouldn't be "illegal", they could bar you from any future events should they find out.

I also think concealment will be a major issue given that you are wet while running, climbing, crawling, etc. Again, while printing or accidentally showing the weapon may not be illegal, you will be in close quarters. If someone complains to the event director that there's a man with a gun they get you kicked out of the above organization. Additionally, if the director learns you are carrying and deems it "unsafe", they can likely remove you from the course according to the terms you agreed to when registering. I've always seen some sort of "do what I say or I can remove you" clause in the terms.

As someone else suggested, you may want to consider leaving the weapon in the car during the event. Once you are done "competing", slip off to your car, rearm, return to the after party and carry on.

p.s. Have fun! I've always thought that'd be a fun event to do!

Topic author
TVegas

Post by TVegas »

I need something lightweight, streamlined, and SAFE to carry it in. I was thinking of using this Mountainsmith fanny pack, http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Lum ... 00QVATVOE#, (same one Nutnfancy uses) with a kydex trigger guard tethered to the inside of the pack.

I was thinking that this setup would solve any concealment issues and would keep anyone from being able to feel that I have the weapon. With that setup, is there any substantial reason to not carry?
Be sure to check whatever organization is providing the insurance for the event. Usually, its done through a national organization that all participants are required to join. Their rules may state no carrying during events as part of being a member. While not 30.06 so it wouldn't be "illegal", they could bar you from any future events should they find out.

I really do think that is important, so I'm going to review the waiver and see if there seems to be anything relevant in it.

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

I have several co-workers who participate in tough mudder every year. From what they described, I would not carry through the course. They've talked about having to swim through ice water, and crawl under electric tazers that shock the fire out of you, and a bunch of other stuff that i would not consider good environs for a gun. Couple that with higher than normal chances for it to become "un-concealed" or even fall right off of you given the mud, water, and strange bodily positions you might find yourself in, it just seems like too much trouble and risk.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Robert*PPS wrote:I have several co-workers who participate in tough mudder every year. From what they described, I would not carry through the course. They've talked about having to swim through ice water, and crawl under electric tazers that shock the fire out of you, and a bunch of other stuff that i would not consider good environs for a gun. Couple that with higher than normal chances for it to become "un-concealed" or even fall right off of you given the mud, water, and strange bodily positions you might find yourself in, it just seems like too much trouble and risk.
The event itself sounds like too much trouble and risk. :shock:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

Safepacker holster was an item that was mentioned on another forum for backwoods trekking, nothing to the level of the Mudder as watched in the video. Clips in the video were so short, but I did not notice anyone carrying anything other than clothes on their back.

From the look of it I would leave the gun in the car. At my age and fitness level... Likely to leave myself in the car. :roll:

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

tiviti

Post by tiviti »

I've run Mudder/Spartan races before. The water/mud will make everything stick so your only option is probably the fanny/lumbar pack. Last year I tried to run with a lumbar pack. It was about as uncomfortable as it sounds. Placement on the front interferes with belly crawls and climbing over obstacles. Placement on the back can snag on the barbed wire as well as give you a good dig in the kidneys if you get knocked from behind. Considering the large numbers of participants in close quarters pushing/shoving each other, I wouldn't recommend it. This year I'll be running with clothes only.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Two of my brothers in law and a sister in law ran a tough mudder a few years ago. My wife and I watched. I would definitely not carry while running the course. You will be in every imaginable position: running, jumping, crawling, climbing, hanging, swinging, etc.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

XnTx

Post by XnTx »

It's not practical. It would likely be an educational opportunity for all regarding unintentional exposure. I'd recommend the Wounded Warrior run, http://dallasathletesracing.com/package ... lf-10k-5k/. Lots of carry options from fanny pack to full army backpack.
CHL - 9/22/11
NRA Life Member - 12/12/15
XDS .45 or P380

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”