Thinking About CHL application- Class C misdemeanor

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texas1324
Posts in topic: 3

Thinking About CHL application- Class C misdemeanor

Post by texas1324 »

So I am thinking about getting my CHL here in Texas and I have only one thing holding me up and hope to get some input from y'all. I meet all the requirements, except I may have a problem with the class C misdemeanor that pertains to disorderly conduct in the last five years. So here is the story (allegedly) was in college a couple years back in a different state and decided to get on a low hanging roof of a building (stupid I know) it was somewhat of a tradition. Anyways we were possibly up there for maybe 90 seconds and got down, we walked away and were approached by two police officers who wrote a ticket for trespassing. We did not get arrested and after a court date got the charge pled down to "disturbing the peace" which I accepted a guilty plea too. Has anyone gone through something like this with a charge from out of state? I never committed any crimes relating to "disturbing the peace" just pled down to it. Does anyone know if I would still be rejected because it is still in the five year window? I don't want to wait another three years if I don't have to, but I guess that's the price you pay for being a dumb college kid! Thanks!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Thinking About CHL application- Class C misdemeanor

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

You need to get a copy of the disposition on the case. However, if you were not fingerprinted and photographed, then you probably are OK to go.

I would look at what the actual charge was in the disposition and see what the comparible charge would be here. If it truly is just a Class C misdemeanor and would fall under 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, then you shouldn't have any problem. If it is a Class A or B offense, then you may need to get some legal input.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
texas1324

Post by texas1324 »

If it truly is just a Class C misdemeanor and would fall under 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, then you shouldn't have any problem. [/quote]

Keith, thank you for the input. I am in the process of getting the disposition to include with my application. I am a bit confused though, wouldn't I be disqualified since I pled guilty to disturbing the peace which is basically disorderly conduct. (42.01) Which is the only class C that can get you rejected. Am I reading into something totally wrong? Thanks!

Topic author
texas1324

Post by texas1324 »

Or does it specifically have to one of the crimes listed under 42.01? Is it what I was charged with or what I was found guilty of?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Sorry, I didn't read it properly. If the actual charge was 'Disturbing the Peace' then that would cross over in Texas to a Disorderly Conduct charge, which would be a disqualifier for 5 years.

Get the disposition of the charge and see what it shows, then you can go from there to try and make a decision.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”