Finding an Attorney

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Finding an Attorney

Post by TomsTXCHL »

thatguyoverthere wrote:I'd like to get some ideas and recommendations on how you go about finding an attorney.
Assuming you may actually find your way back here some day, here are a couple of ideas: ask your CHL instructor, ask at your LGShops, search on NFA Trust attorneys in your area.

I had done this last and a nearby attorney got my full attention by not only handling Trusts, and being a gun person himself, but he and his wife have a general practice which I may need someday (James Willi in Austin).

Most of us could benefit from Estate Planning, and we ALL need a will and [should have] a Health directive, and even things like home purchase agreements ought to get an atty's look/see.

And IMO in any case you should have someone you can easily meet and look-in-the-eye... :cool:

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Lots of good information flowing here. That's what I like about this forum - lots of different ideas getting discussed without people tripping all over their egos and getting all upset. I've seen forums where some of the members seem to have big chips on their shoulders, and the mods sometimes let it get out of control. It ain't pretty!

As for my original question, I'm still thinking it over. Since I haven't received my license yet, I'm not carrying yet, so not a big deal, yet.

But I've kinda narrowed it down to either a pre-paid legal plan, or find a local attorney and put him on retainer. Obviously, my concern here is (if I ever were involved in a self-defense shooting and I'm still standing when the smoke clears) I would eventually be worried about the possibility of me ending up on the wrong end of a criminal or civil legal action. I think this is just the world we live in today.

Maybe a lot of guys wouldn't worry about potential legal issues after the fact. And maybe there's no real need to. But I guess it comes down to me seeing it sort of like insurance. I hate paying for it, but it sure is nice to have if your house burns down (like my neighbor's did a few weeks ago). So that being said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to make some kind of advance arrangement for legal advice from somebody, one way or the other.

I've been browsing some of the pre-paid legal outfits ([Pre-paid legal service], Armed Citizens Defense Network, CCW Safe). I see all of those working pretty much like an insurance policy - I just send them a little money either monthly or yearly, and everybody's happy. If I ever do need them, I call them, then they start to work. Yes, as has been mentioned, lots of unknowns there. Do they really have the finances to pay for quality attorneys, expert witnesses, etc.? WILL they pay? How do I know what attorney I will draw if that time comes? How much experience do they have? All those and more are valid questions that I would need to research. Assuming I get all the answers I want there, the biggest advantage I see with the pre-paid legal is that (theoretically at least) I get competent, specialized legal representation, at a fixed price that I've already paid in premiums.

On the other hand, I can go out and shop for a local lawyer or law firm, where I will be dealing with an attorney that I can develop an ongoing relationship with. I can learn much more about him individually, learn more about his law practice, and surely get much more personalized service. If I have developed a sort of personal relationship with him, I think just naturally he is going to be a little bit more interested in making sure he puts forth a good effort on my behalf. And from the business end, I could probably pay him a small retainer fee on some basis and keep that door open pretty much indefinitely. However, again, if that day ever came, the guy is probably not going to work for free. If I get into a case that is complex or difficult for some reason, my defense could potentially run into tens of thousands of dollars. Having to pay out that kind of money would certainly change the situation around my little homestead.

So, I'm still thinking about it, and still praying about it. I know the good Lord will get me where I need to be, I've just got to be patient and wait on all the information that He's working on getting to me so I can figure out which way to go.

So thanks for the input folks, I really do appreciate the thoughtful information, and you all taking the time to share your wisdom.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cb1000rider »

thatguyoverthere wrote: I've been browsing some of the pre-paid legal outfits ([Pre-paid legal service], Armed Citizens Defense Network, CCW Safe). I see all of those working pretty much like an insurance policy - I just send them a little money either monthly or yearly, and everybody's happy. If I ever do need them, I call them, then they start to work. Yes, as has been mentioned, lots of unknowns there. Do they really have the finances to pay for quality attorneys, expert witnesses, etc.? WILL they pay? How do I know what attorney I will draw if that time comes? How much experience do they have? All those and more are valid questions that I would need to research. Assuming I get all the answers I want there, the biggest advantage I see with the pre-paid legal is that (theoretically at least) I get competent, specialized legal representation, at a fixed price that I've already paid in premiums.

On the other hand, I can go out and shop for a local lawyer or law firm, where I will be dealing with an attorney that I can develop an ongoing relationship with. I can learn much more about him individually, learn more about his law practice, and surely get much more personalized service. If I have developed a sort of personal relationship with him, I think just naturally he is going to be a little bit more interested in making sure he puts forth a good effort on my behalf. And from the business end, I could probably pay him a small retainer fee on some basis and keep that door open pretty much indefinitely. However, again, if that day ever came, the guy is probably not going to work for free. If I get into a case that is complex or difficult for some reason, my defense could potentially run into tens of thousands of dollars. Having to pay out that kind of money would certainly change the situation around my little homestead.
I dug in on this a bit more yesterday, but didn't post. To answer some of your questions, based on what I read in the fine print with [pre-paid legal]:
1) They state that they'll provide expert witnesses, if they deem it necessary, from a pool of expert witnesses that agree to their payment terms. No indication of what those payment terms are. It'd be interesting to ask.. If they're decent terms, why wouldn't they disclose?

2) Any other expert witness, you're on the hook for. Last trial I was on the jury for, the disposition payout was over $1k/hr for one expert witness.

3) Court costs not included. Other representation costs - travel time, expenses, etc - not included.

Basically you're paying for insurance on per-hour legal fees (at least based on what I currently understand). Back when they were being sold to our CHL class, they wouldn't give info on what pool of attorneys they had - nor indications of which one would represent you. I dunno what you think - any maybe a an attorney can speak up about how this works - but I don't see how any attorney could afford to spent a significant amount of time on your case - maybe [pre-paid legal] pays them a fee if they represent - I dunno... Those details are important to me...

And I hear you on the fact that you can't afford to lose the homestead. I'll point out something that I caught my attention - maybe on this forum: If I'm charged in a criminal case, my focus is going to be on getting the best legal representation that I can afford rather than saving that homestead. That is, if a lawyer really isn't in a position to work 100% for me, if I'm convicted, my homestead goes belly-up anyway. The $50k that I might have saved on legal fees doesn't help my family at all if I'm not in a position to be employed.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable with [pre-paid legal] if I knew who the attorneys were, what clients they've represented, what the outcomes were, and what the real costs were to the [pre-paid legal] "member". Until I know that, it's not insurance.. It's a gamble on insurance.. And it's being pressed as a pretty hard-sell in a class that really should be about legal issues, safety issues, and self defense...

gemini

Post by gemini »

joe817 and cb1000rider both gave you sound advice. I will add : 1. find a Board Certified Criminal Defense lawyer that makes
you happy. Put his name and number in your wallet or memorize. Good luck.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cb1000rider »

So via another thread I was able to do some additional digging:
Kirk Evans - [pre-paid legal] President:
Practice Areas: Litigation: Commercial,Oil & Gas,Securities Law

Several other attorneys on staff work for Walker & Byington, who do criminal work and there are references to a firearms specialty.

Here is at least one case that [pre-paid legal] is involved with:
http://fntxradio.com/story-1374.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was the guy that took his AR-15 to his store at the mall. Charged with disorderly conduct. They kept his rifle.

I found the court records on the case: http://www.co.jefferson.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks like various continuances have been added with the next trial date in June..

At least there's one [pre-paid legal] case on record now.. :-)

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Check out these Google search results.https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+f ... 1&ie=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, visit the State Bar Association website and do a search.

http://m.texasbar.com/Search/Search.cfm ... 91.cfusion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ask an attorney you know and trust to recommend someone with firearm defense experience and specialization.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Well, I signed up with CCW Safe tonight. I spoke to one of their guys on the phone for about 45 minutes this afternoon. Small company, made up of all former LEO's and some now attorneys. Guy I talked to today was former high ranking BATF agent (from his bio). Company CEO is a former cop and former DOJ agent.

Just getting a good vibe from everything I'm seeing and hearing about this outfit. Their terms & conditions declaration on their web site is single page, straight forward clear English (no legal-ese), as opposed to some other outfits that have 10 or more pages of "party of the first part" and "wheretofore's" and the like.

The company has been in operation as a business for 4 years. No, they have not had any major cases (a few "minor" ones), but their network attorneys have had cases of their own, so they do have experience. This company emphasizes stopping any potential legal action against you before it starts. But if they can't do that, they also claim to have the resources to defend you in court if it comes to that. It's not insurance, but it's like the philosophy of insurance in that you hope you don't need it, but if you do, you're glad to have it.

I still also plan on finding a local attorney that I can deal with on a personal level, face to face. But I travel a fair amount, and if I live in Texas and have a local attorney in Texas, he's not going to be able to do much for me if I have an incident in Indiana. Plus, now that I have signed up with these guys, it gives me the luxury of time so that I don't have to be in a big rush to find a local guy.

So at $99 for a year's worth of CCW Safe, with the benefits they offer (attorneys, investigators, expert witnesses, no cost ceiling for services, covers use of any weapon (not just gun), provides up to quarter million dollar bail bond, nation-wide coverage, and an A+ rating from the OK City BBB), it just seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

Not trying to sell anybody else on them, just explaining why I went with them for now. YMMV.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. This whole experience is still a work in progress for me, so there may be some tweaks to come later on.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

RPBrown wrote:A lot of people use [Pre-paid legal service] or one of the other firms that advertise such services.
:thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

thatguyoverthere wrote:Well, I signed up with CCW Safe tonight. I spoke to one of their guys on the phone for about 45 minutes this afternoon. Small company, made up of all former LEO's and some now attorneys. Guy I talked to today was former high ranking BATF agent (from his bio). Company CEO is a former cop and former DOJ agent.

Just getting a good vibe from everything I'm seeing and hearing about this outfit. Their terms & conditions declaration on their web site is single page, straight forward clear English (no legal-ese), as opposed to some other outfits that have 10 or more pages of "party of the first part" and "wheretofore's" and the like.

The company has been in operation as a business for 4 years. No, they have not had any major cases (a few "minor" ones), but their network attorneys have had cases of their own, so they do have experience. This company emphasizes stopping any potential legal action against you before it starts. But if they can't do that, they also claim to have the resources to defend you in court if it comes to that. It's not insurance, but it's like the philosophy of insurance in that you hope you don't need it, but if you do, you're glad to have it.

I still also plan on finding a local attorney that I can deal with on a personal level, face to face. But I travel a fair amount, and if I live in Texas and have a local attorney in Texas, he's not going to be able to do much for me if I have an incident in Indiana. Plus, now that I have signed up with these guys, it gives me the luxury of time so that I don't have to be in a big rush to find a local guy.

So at $99 for a year's worth of CCW Safe, with the benefits they offer (attorneys, investigators, expert witnesses, no cost ceiling for services, covers use of any weapon (not just gun), provides up to quarter million dollar bail bond, nation-wide coverage, and an A+ rating from the OK City BBB), it just seemed like too good a deal to pass up.
CCW Safe seems to have their act together. I'm pretty impressed with what they offer.
-Ruark

pdxmale

Post by pdxmale »

I, also, opted for CCW SAFE.
I found them to offer at least the same, if not better coverage in all areas.
And, AT LESS COST.

BUT, you MUST have a CHL to join up.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It concerns me some when I see the term "coverage" when discussing these prepaid legal services.

I briefly looked at the CCW safe site. One thing I did not see if how much "coverage" do they provide to cover judgments of one their clients makes a mistake or is going liable for damages.

I believe that would be a fair and appropriate question. If they are not successful in defending you, who pays the potentially large judgment? Does the member/defendant retain the sole right to settle? What happens if you do not believe you are getting proper representation. Do you get to chose your attorney or do have to settle for who they assign? What resources do they have to fund a defense, fees, expert witnesses? Have you seen their financials? What reserves or escrow do they have set aside to fund a defense through appeals if necessary? Who determines if a case will be appealed? If you believe your case warrants an appeal, who decides if CCW disagrees?

What do they mean by "provisional". Sounds like they want brand new CHLs only. Did I miss something? I saw their website today for the first time and these are the questions my five minute perusal triggered.

In theory these programs sound good. However, the devil is in the details.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Grit

Post by Grit »

Jason K wrote:
Grit wrote:This is the best resource. Read all about it: http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm considering joining them, too....they're more forthcoming about their type of representation, and they handle more than just gun-involved self-defense issues. Plus you get training materials monthly from them.

I suggest you read about the individuals on their Board of Directors....Mas Ayoob, Dennis Tueller (yes that Tueller of the Drill)..Marty Hays...

They help you find more than just an attorney, they help you find affirmative defense attorneys. Look up the term.

In a legal self defense use of deadly force, you can have Marty or Mas act as an expert witness.

Again, review their backgrounds and ask who you want on your team after experiencing the white elephant.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”