Disarming in your daily routine

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joelamosobadiah
Posts in topic: 4

Disarming in your daily routine

Post by joelamosobadiah »

As we all know, we would prefer to never be required to leave our firearm behind when entering a place of business, our own workplace, etc, but this isn't always possible. I wanted to start a discussion about our everyday routines that require us to leave a firearm in our vehicles or at home.

For myself, when I first got my CHL, I was 21 and working a security job and could not carry. In fact, it was prohibited until the parking lot bill was passed to even have it in my car, but I opted for my safety over that rule. When I left that industry after 7 years, I was excited to be self-employed and not have to deal with that sort of issue anymore. Well, as luck would have it, my primary business for the time being is in courthouses and obviously have to disarm there. I seem to have a bad streak of working places where I can't carry regularly. :banghead:

So what about you guys, what sort of everyday routines require you to go to places where carry isn't allowed?

Also, when having to disarm, do you remove your holster everytime or do you have another holster in your vehicle you transfer your firearm to when disarming?

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Disarming in your daily routine

Post by RetNavy »

since i am no longer able to work my routine is not to bad.... two to three times a week i have physical therapy in which i disarm and leave the weapon in the truck... not because of any law, its kinda of hard doing some exercises with a weapon on the hip... gun goes into a holster in center console, other holster stays on hip.

other major time is when i eat lunch with kids at school... self explanatory

armed rest of the time
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

It's not a regular occurrence for me, but I have to disarm when I drop off or pick up Jr from daycare - which is located within a private school. When that happens, I just move my pistol from my holster to a vehicle safe that's tethered under the seat. I have disarmed by choice when going to the dr since I'd have to disrobe to some degree. Otherwise, it's not an issue for me.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I can't carry at work (policy not by law), so I put my gun in center console when I leave for work in the morning. Lock the console when I arrive at work. Unlock after work and take out with me when I arrive home. If I plan on stopping somewhere between work and home, I put my gun on my hip in work parking lot. I've had the same routine for about two years now. About 8-10 more years of this until retirement. :grumble

EDIT: I just realized yesterday was my two year anniversary here on the forum. :party:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

joe817

Post by joe817 »

There are very few places that I go to where I can't carry. But on those rare occasions, I simply take my holster off(IWB) with the gun inside it, & put it in the center console. I never take my gun out of the holster, except to clean it, or check it to verify that all is still well with it. I always disarm while in the car. No other discreet way to do it, IMO.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joelamosobadiah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joelamosobadiah »

joe817 wrote:There are very few places that I go to where I can't carry. But on those rare occasions, I simply take my holster off(IWB) with the gun inside it, & put it in the center console. I never take my gun out of the holster, except to clean it, or check it to verify that all is still well with it. I always disarm while in the car. No other discreet way to do it, IMO.
Same here. Disarming while in the car isn't too big of a deal. Rearming while in the car on the other hand can be quite the chore at times.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

In general, only at work and when I pick up my daughter at school if I have to go inside for anything. And since I volunteer for several things at her school, I have to go inside quite often.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

When I have to disarm after leaving my property, I take my pistol out of my IWB holster and place it the door pocket of my vehicle so that it is not visible from the outside.

Once back in the vehicle, I replace the pistol in its holster and drape my shirt over the pistol. When convenient, I'll retuck the shirt.

Before I get out of the vehicle after returning to my property, I uncover the pistol and tuck the shirt behind the holster.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

I cannot carry at work (by policy and not law), therefore leave my carry in my center console in a lockable vault. The only other main times I have to disarm are for Dr's appt's (building posted 30.06) and when I go inside my kid's school. In those cases, I put it in the truck vault as well. No big deal.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

I work at a Federal facility, so I can't carry in the building. I leave my gun in the trunk, in a permanently mounted holster.

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

When I can know ahead of time that I'll have to disarm, I'll use a paddle or pocket holster instead of my usual OWB belt holster. When I have to disarm while wearing the OWB holster, I leave the holster on and use a tethered safe in my truck.

rivertripper

Post by rivertripper »

I have a paddle holster that is relatively easy to remove and put back on.
Sometimes I remove the gun while still in the holster to keep the trigger covered
while handling it. This method I use when I need to have my shirttail tucked in
when I go in (with the ammo in my pocket as below but not in a post office).

In other casual situations I leave my shirt tail out and leave the holster
and mag pouch intact. Also, I strip the gun of all ammo and carry all
of the ammo (including spare mags) in with me under the theory that
if someone breaks into my car they have no immediate means to use
the gun.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

My current employer will not allow me to carry in the building nor will they allow me to have a firearm in the car in the parking lot. :rules: Hate those sort of laws. We need to fix that.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

kg5ie wrote:My current employer will not allow me to carry in the building nor will they allow me to have a firearm in the car in the parking lot. :rules: Hate those sort of laws. We need to fix that.
If you don't work in one of the industries that is allowed to prohibit storing a firearm in your vehicle, you may want to send a copy of the personnel policy to the TSRA with all of the relevant details to the TSRA. They've been a valuable resource in educating employers about the parking lot law.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

OSCAR E

Post by OSCAR E »

I disarm everyday when I come to work, I work at the university of Texas at Austin so no weapons there, when I get out I carry again until I go to sleep.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”