Gun-unfriendly San Antonio?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Gun-unfriendly San Antonio?

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I have only seen three 30-06 signs in DFW over the last eight years. One afternoon in San Antonio and I have seen five. Maybe I am getting a bad sample size, but it appears that it's a lot more tricky to carry down here. Would have expected the opposite.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun-unfriendly San Antonio?

Post by OldCannon »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:I have only seen three 30-06 signs in DFW over the last eight years. One afternoon in San Antonio and I have seen five. Maybe I am getting a bad sample size, but it appears that it's a lot more tricky to carry down here. Would have expected the opposite.
Methinks you know little about the political and demographic makeup of San Antonio then. If the SA City Council could ban all guns, they would.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Javier730 »

I have only seen two 30.06 signs here in San Antonio. That must be because I don't go out much and don't visit downtown.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I rarely encounter them in my day to day although I'm not frequently downtown where I've encountered more. The city government doesn't care for guns or knives sadly.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

OldCannon wrote:
AlaskanInTexas wrote:I have only seen three 30-06 signs in DFW over the last eight years. One afternoon in San Antonio and I have seen five. Maybe I am getting a bad sample size, but it appears that it's a lot more tricky to carry down here. Would have expected the opposite.
Methinks you know little about the political and demographic makeup of San Antonio then. If the SA City Council could ban all guns, they would.
They probably are not the only city that would if they could.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCannon »

MechAg94 wrote:
OldCannon wrote:
Yup. Austin is another, and most of downtown Houston would too. I'm grateful for state preemption laws. Would be even more grateful if those laws had teeth.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

CoffeeNut wrote:I rarely encounter them in my day to day although I'm not frequently downtown where I've encountered more. The city government doesn't care for guns or knives sadly.
And they have ordinances that fly in the face of the constitution as well as government code:
Government Code 229.001(a)(1), which states: “a municipality may not adopt regulations relating to…the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, air guns, ammunition, or firearm.”

San Antonio is closer to New Jersey than the rest of Texas. Be careful.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

San Antonio politics are pretty much controlled by progressive democrats and progressive republicans. Cronyism rules and it doesn't surprise me there quite a few 30.06 signs. However, I have yet to encounter one in SA.
Last edited by mojo84 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

cb1000rider wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:I rarely encounter them in my day to day although I'm not frequently downtown where I've encountered more. The city government doesn't care for guns or knives sadly.
And they have ordinances that fly in the face of the constitution as well as government code:
Government Code 229.001(a)(1), which states: “a municipality may not adopt regulations relating to…the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, air guns, ammunition, or firearm.”

San Antonio is closer to New Jersey than the rest of Texas. Be careful.
Most of their ordinances were adopted in 1995 or 1996 when L was brand new and they were trying to stop CHL carry in city buildings. A lot of them are now outdated and never have been removed. Much of the preemption code for the state was put into place after CHL was legalized to stop those local ordinance prohibition attempts. So, they really need to update their ordinances in accordance with state law, but we all know they aren't gonna do that unless pushed to edit them.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Keith B wrote:Most of their ordinances were adopted in 1995 or 1996 when L was brand new and they were trying to stop CHL carry in city buildings. A lot of them are now outdated and never have been removed. Much of the preemption code for the state was put into place after CHL was legalized to stop those local ordinance prohibition attempts. So, they really need to update their ordinances in accordance with state law, but we all know they aren't gonna do that unless pushed to edit them.
Indeed. Thankfully there is a new bill that has been introduced to address just that. I hope it sails through the Legislature.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Day two. Three more.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Are you putting these in Texas3006.com? Or checking to see if they are already in there?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

C-dub wrote:Are you putting these in Texas3006.com? Or checking to see if they are already in there?
Taking pics; will check later. I'm with a bunch of people and have little control of where we go. Hence, the guns are left in the hotel room.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

I've been carrying a couple years now and have lived in San Antonio since 1992. I am not encountering this plethora of 30.06 signs you all are talking about. I look pretty hard at all the buildings I enter, and I enter a lot, and i'm not seeing these signs. :headscratch

BTW: My wife and I had BBQ at a great place right next to the San Antonio zoo last saturday, Augies BBQ. They give CHL'ers a 10% discount. Posted prominently on their counter. :patriot: :thumbs2: :clapping:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

OldCannon wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:
OldCannon wrote:
Yup. Austin is another, and most of downtown Houston would too. I'm grateful for state preemption laws. Would be even more grateful if those laws had teeth.
I guess I must just naturally gravitate towards places that are not unfriendly for gun owners because I travel around Austin more than any other city in the state and I've only encountered one 30.06 sign at a place I want or have to go to --and it's a place I have to go to as part of my job. I haven't encountered a single place in Austin I wanted to go to that has a 30.06 sign. And since with that one noted exception for work, since I only go to places I want to, I haven't seen but the one 30.06 sign in Austin.

And I hear SA is not gun friendly too, but while my travel there is much more limited, I never seem to end up anywhere that has a 30.06 sign when I do go. Same with Houston. It will happen some day I suppose, but my wife knows (and agrees) that we're not spending money at any business that openly proclaims it doesn't like guns, so there's no point in asking me to leave my gun in the car.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”