CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 3

Correctional Facility vs. Law Enforcement Facility

Post by mloamiller »

Section 30.06 states:
It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
Based on that, can a 30.06 sign at a police station be enforced? At first glance, the answer would be "No" since a police station would most certainly be "owned or leased by a governmental entity." However, one of the "other places" mentioned in 46.035 is "(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;". That begs the question - is a police station considered a "correctional facility"? It would certainly seem logical to do so.

"Correctional facility" is not defined in this specific section of the Penal Code (that I could find), but it is in Section 1.07:
(14) "Correctional facility" means a place designated by law for the confinement of a person arrested for, charged with, or convicted of a criminal offense. The term includes:
(A) a municipal or county jail;
(B) a confinement facility operated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice;
(C) a confinement facility operated under contract with any division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice; and
(D) a community corrections facility operated by a community supervision and corrections department..
By that definition, it would seem a city police station that includes a jail would be considered a "correctional facility" so would be off-limits for concealed carry. However, to make the whole thing even more confusing, Section 411.207 defines the conditions that must be met in a "law enforcement facility" to allow a CHL holder to secure their weapon before entering the "nonpublic, secure" portion of the facility. In other words, you can carry concealed into the public part of a "law enforcement facility." So what's the difference between "correctional" and "law enforcement" when defining a facility?

I found part of an answer in a sub-sub-sub-paragraph in section 411.207, where a "law enforcement facility" is defined:
(1) "Law enforcement facility" means a building or a portion of a building used exclusively by a law enforcement agency that employs peace officers as described by Articles 2.12(1) and (3), Code of Criminal Procedure, and support personnel to conduct the official business of the agency. The term does not include:
(A) any portion of a building not actively used exclusively to conduct the official business of the agency;
or
(B) any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
So which is it:
  • 1. You can't carry into a police station, even the public areas, because it's a "correctional facility" (46.035).
    2. You can carry as long as it's not 30.06 posted (30.06).
    3. You can carry into the public portions, ignoring any 30.06 sign (411.207) because it's owned by a governmental entity.
    4. Something else I haven't considered.
:banghead:
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Correctional Facility vs. Law Enforcement Facility

Post by mojo84 »

I chose door 3.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

JSThane
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JSThane »

You cannot carry into a secure holding area. These will be -immediately- evident by the locking cell doors, shackle points on benches/chairs, and the lack of any decor (to prevent vandalism and/or improvisation of picture frames and potted plants as weapons). You will probably never be -in- a holding area, though, unless you are an officer or a suspect.

An area that is open to the public is not a secure holding area. Drunk tanks, processing/booking areas, and actual jails and prisons are.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

mojo84 wrote:I chose door 3.
Is that because you don't think "correctional facility" applies? I don't disagree, just curious about the reasoning behind that.
LTC/SSC Instructor

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Some smaller towns have municipal court in the same building as the Police Department. I think that might also play a factor.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

mloamiller wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I chose door 3.
Is that because you don't think "correctional facility" applies? I don't disagree, just curious about the reasoning behind that.

Because the part of the police station that is not secure is not off limits and is not a correctional facility. The secure jail portion is off limits.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

carlson1 wrote:Some smaller towns have municipal court in the same building as the Police Department. I think that might also play a factor.
This is also an interesting question. For example, the local county precinct station has Harris County Precinct 4 constable offices, the Harris County Tax office (real estate taxes, car registrations, car titles, etc.), the Justice of the Peace court room, District Attorney offices, and a clerk of courts (for paying fines).

If going there to pay real estate taxes, for example, my attitude is stay out of the courtroom while armed. However, I am not entirely certain this is correct.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Me personally, this is one of the few places I feel I don't need to carry, whether it's legal or not. YMMV.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

mloamiller wrote:So which is it:
  • 1. You can't carry into a police station, even the public areas, because it's a "correctional facility" (46.035).
    2. You can carry as long as it's not 30.06 posted (30.06).
    3. You can carry into the public portions, ignoring any 30.06 sign (411.207) because it's owned by a governmental entity.
    4. Something else I haven't considered.
I had a conversation with a local police chief yesterday and he agreed with #3.
LTC/SSC Instructor

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I have a sneaky suspicion that many of these signs will be coming down or relocated if the bill to penalize cities passes and becomes law. Situations like this are questionable. Sure, the 30.06 is enforceable for the secure area, but like a government meeting, that is the only area that CC is prohibited. Putting the sign on the outside or near the entrance to the building is misleading and confusing for many.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”