Class A Misdemeanor

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dcloyd
Posts in topic: 2

Class A Misdemeanor

Post by dcloyd »

I have a differed adjudication for a class A charge but it was only for DWLI not for being drunk or high. The license was suspended for non payment of a state fee not for the fine itself. Does that mean I still must wait five years from the date or is there anything else I can do besides go to an out of state chl?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Class A Misdemeanor

Post by Keith B »

dcloyd wrote:I have a differed adjudication for a class A charge but it was only for DWLI not for being drunk or high. The license was suspended for non payment of a state fee not for the fine itself. Does that mean I still must wait five years from the date or is there anything else I can do besides go to an out of state chl?
Welcome to the forum.

Differed adjudication in Texas is the same as a conviction for purposes of a CHL. A Class A misdemeanor will require you to wait five years after the date of the conviction.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
dcloyd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dcloyd »

What kills me is Texas is the most restrictive on this issue. I have checked and easily qualify in every other state. Even NY would give me a CHL if the sheriff would sign it but in a pro gun state like Texas I am forced to get one out of state for a charge that has no drugs, violence, loss of property, deception or loss of life or domestic violence. I think this needs to be changed in line with the other states on this type of issue.

jmra

Post by jmra »

dcloyd wrote:What kills me is Texas is the most restrictive on this issue. I have checked and easily qualify in every other state. Even NY would give me a CHL if the sheriff would sign it but in a pro gun state like Texas I am forced to get one out of state for a charge that has no drugs, violence, loss of property, deception or loss of life or domestic violence. I think this needs to be changed in line with the other states on this type of issue.
Texas has an extremely low conviction rate among CHL holders. It would be interesting to compare those numbers to states with less restrictive rules.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

dcloyd wrote:What kills me is Texas is the most restrictive on this issue. I have checked and easily qualify in every other state. Even NY would give me a CHL if the sheriff would sign it but in a pro gun state like Texas I am forced to get one out of state for a charge that has no drugs, violence, loss of property, deception or loss of life or domestic violence. I think this needs to be changed in line with the other states on this type of issue.
:iagree: I think that this defeats the whole purpose of deferred adjudication.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”