Expired CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gmfitter
Posts in topic: 3

Expired CHL

Post by gmfitter »

I used to have a CHL back when you could get the Utah out of state permit, here in TX. I took the course here in TX and had my permit. It has since expired. I plan on taking a short vacation to South Padre in the next few weeks. I will not have a CHL by then.

1. Can I carry my firearm in my car for the trip?
2. Can I legally transport my firearm from my car to the place I will be staying, and back to the car at any time.
3. When doing this movement of the gun, does it have to be in it's case?

I'm pretty sure the answer to number one is yes. The other ones.....not so sure.

Thanks for the help.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Expired CHL

Post by TVGuy »

gmfitter wrote:I used to have a CHL back when you could get the Utah out of state permit, here in TX. I took the course here in TX and had my permit. It has since expired. I plan on taking a short vacation to South Padre in the next few weeks. I will not have a CHL by then.

1. Can I carry my firearm in my car for the trip?
2. Can I legally transport my firearm from my car to the place I will be staying, and back to the car at any time.
3. When doing this movement of the gun, does it have to be in it's case?

I'm pretty sure the answer to number one is yes. The other ones.....not so sure.

Thanks for the help.
I am not a lawyer, you will get responses from some.

Yes, you can carry in the car as long as it is concealed. Does not have to be a gun case per se.

You can carry to/from your car to premises under your control - again, concealed.

This is as long as you can legally possess a firearm, you are not a member of an illegal street gang, and you are not in the commission of a crime.

jmra

Post by jmra »

:iagree: Welcome to the forum.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
gmfitter

Post by gmfitter »

Thanks for the info. Thankfully, the street gang I belong to is legal!! :lol::

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Make sure the "place" you are staying at is not 30.06 posted or otherwise off limits. If so you will have to leave your firearm concealed in the car.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Topic author
gmfitter

Post by gmfitter »

Got it. Thx.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

sugar land dave wrote:Make sure the "place" you are staying at is not 30.06 posted or otherwise off limits. If so you will have to leave your firearm concealed in the car.
If your CHL is expired then 30.06 doesn't apply to you. You just have to follow all laws for an unlicensed individual.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Keith B wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:Make sure the "place" you are staying at is not 30.06 posted or otherwise off limits. If so you will have to leave your firearm concealed in the car.
If your CHL is expired then 30.06 doesn't apply to you. You just have to follow all laws for an unlicensed individual.
Careful though, many 30.06 signs have a gunbuster symbol as well invoking 30.05 for unlicensed firearms.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”