CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Driving to & Visiting In CT & MD From Texas

Post by baldeagle »

CC Italian wrote:Go west young man!
But not to Kalifornia.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

ScottDLS wrote:
winters wrote:i know all we hear about on tv is the bad stuff. But i still wouldnt chance it through the NE states. they just cant be trusted at all.

im going to dc soon to see my sister and i make sure my luggage doesnt have any bullets,spent shell casing or anything.I dont even use my range bag to travel. I have been told they are not looking for gun powder with there sniffer machine though.
I got a valid non-resident Connecticut pistol license for just this reason. So at least if I get stopped in CT I have a valid license. MD, NJ, I'd just have to rely on FOPA and have it locked up in the trunk separate from the ammo.
yes but NJ,MD,NY have shown time and time again that they don't care what federal law says.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

winters wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
winters wrote:i know all we hear about on tv is the bad stuff. But i still wouldnt chance it through the NE states. they just cant be trusted at all.

im going to dc soon to see my sister and i make sure my luggage doesnt have any bullets,spent shell casing or anything.I dont even use my range bag to travel. I have been told they are not looking for gun powder with there sniffer machine though.
I got a valid non-resident Connecticut pistol license for just this reason. So at least if I get stopped in CT I have a valid license. MD, NJ, I'd just have to rely on FOPA and have it locked up in the trunk separate from the ammo.
yes but NJ,MD,NY have shown time and time again that they don't care what federal law says.
I agree, but if you strictly follow FOPA....don't fly in and stay in NYC overnight..., MD ultimately had to pay on the FL guy... NJ hasn't busted anyone following FOPA that I know (lady w/PA permit had gun on her person)... I know a guy who was young and stupid once and drove all over the East coast in the '80's with no permits and never got busted... :shock: I would never recommend doing what he did, but today you have more options. I guess it's statistics....

I travel quite a bit for business and have made a bit of a "hobby" collecting permits/licenses. So far I have done TX (home), FL, NH, PA, ME, CT, & AZ. Going to try for MA, IL, NV, and WA. Maybe even DC if the courts ever work through the current issues.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Post by VMI77 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Do everything in your power to not draw the attention of police, and lie when they ask you if you have any weapons.
They have databases tying CHL registries from other states to license plate numbers. That is how Maryland seems to consistently pop out of state CHL's. Remember John Filippidis of Florida getting searched? I've seen a subsequent article somewhere (that I can't find right now) that stated MD does actually have such a concealed carry database that was built using Department of Homeland Security funding and technology.

As for me, I would never under any circumstances drive through MD, NJ, NY, CT, RI, or MA with any firearms in the car. That means under normal circumstances I simply would not drive to those states. Under extraordinary circumstances, I have heard of people driving most of the way and then leaving their guns with a bordering state FFL (for example VA before entering MD, or PA before entering NJ.)
:iagree: I wouldn't want to be caught with a gun in my possession even if I was following the law to the letter. I still remember the guy in NJ that even called the state police to find out what he needed to do to obey the law, and still went to prison for a gun he had in his vehicle that was parked either in front of his parents house or in their driveway (don't remember which). They only care about the law in so far as it is a tool to persecute lad abiding gun owners.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
gamboolman
Posts in topic: 3

Driving to & Visiting In CT & MD From Texas

Post by gamboolman »

Many thanks once again for the good advice. We trust yawl and have no desire to get involved with hassles in the states that are not gun friendly.

We are going to plan our sight seeing and poker gamboooling road trip to only visit states that Texas has reciprocity with. And we will read up on the CHL laws for each of the States that we are visiting.

We have never traveled beyond Gulf Coast - except for working and living overseas for the oilfield for the last 35+ years..... We are really looking forward to spending a few months seeing the country and not being on any schedule or timeline.

We will definitely avoid several of the states in the Northeast as we have no desire to get into trouble with the law.

Thanks, gamboolman & gamboolgal.... :txflag:
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

Srnewby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Srnewby »

ScottDLS wrote:
winters wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

I agree, but if you strictly follow FOPA....don't fly in and stay in NYC overnight..., MD ultimately had to pay on the FL guy... NJ hasn't busted anyone following FOPA that I know (lady w/PA permit had gun on her person)... I know a guy who was young and stupid once and drove all over the East coast in the '80's with no permits and never got busted... :shock: I would never recommend doing what he did, but today you have more options. I guess it's statistics....

I travel quite a bit for business and have made a bit of a "hobby" collecting permits/licenses. So far I have done TX (home), FL, NH, PA, ME, CT, & AZ. Going to try for MA, IL, NV, and WA. Maybe even DC if the courts ever work through the current issues.
Just an FYI, I don't think that IL offers a non-resident license. I try and keep up with their gun laws since both my parents and in-laws live there and we are there a couple of times a year.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

Srnewby wrote:Just an FYI, I don't think that IL offers a non-resident license. I try and keep up with their gun laws since both my parents and in-laws live there and we are there a couple of times a year.
Yes, they do. An IL non-resident license ain't cheap and the training is also onerous, but a non-resident can definitely get an IL license.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”