Driving to Manhattan NY

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Smily
Posts in topic: 4

Driving to Manhattan NY

Post by Smily »

This weekend I am driving to Manhattan through Maryland, then New Jersey, and into New York city. I would rather not be disarmed the whole trip. Any advice? Bury guns in Virginia state park with GPS tag? :-)

-Smily

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Driving to Manhattan NY

Post by philip964 »

Pass through Washington DC on the way.

Manhattan, Kansas would be way better.

Topic author
Smily
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Smily »

Ha. Im driving a RAM 3500 with Texas plates. Im just asking for it...

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Don't do it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

You could do some research to find a nice gun shop in the last free state you pass through. Drop the pistol off for a nice detail cleaning and pick it up on your way home. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Don't go to the bad states with a gun...
leave it at home or find a place to store it before you enter the forbidden zone
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

tommyg wrote:Don't go to the bad states with a gun...
leave it at home or find a place to store it before you enter the forbidden zone
I've made the decision to avoid the forbidden zones all together. There's simply nothing I need to see in NY worth seeing it unarmed much less driving all the way there and back unarmed.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Pawpaw wrote:You could do some research to find a nice gun shop in the last free state you pass through. Drop the pistol off for a nice detail cleaning and pick it up on your way home. :tiphat:
This is a decent idea, actually. Virginia is still free.
Apparently Delaware honors a TX CHL, but no way would I drive through Maryland with a gun, except in pieces in a locked case, in the trunk.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

If Manhattan is your destination there is no legal way (IMHO) to have a gun in your possession there or through any of the anti-states.. The way the fed law reads (to me) it says you have to be able to legally have a gun at your destination. If I was going to Manhattan I would go via Ohio and PA and drop my gun off at my brother's before proceeding straight across I80 to the GW bridge. I like to avoid Maryland and NJ even when traveling without a gun. But sometimes it just can't be done.
I tried the gunshop idea here in Texas when I needed to go a military installation in Wichita Falls. The shop would not even respond to my inquiries.
Last edited by 2farnorth on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
N5PNZ

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The best advice I can give you is DON'T GO :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

New York? Really?

Here's is a full quote from the current NYS Governor:

… You're seeing that play out in New York. … The Republican party candidates are running against the SAFE Act – it was voted for by moderate Republicans who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that's who they are and they're the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that's not who New Yorkers are.

Stay here, spend your money in Texas. The Statue of Libery was built In France anyway... :txflag:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Smily wrote:This weekend I am driving to Manhattan through Maryland, then New Jersey, and into New York city. I would rather not be disarmed the whole trip. Any advice? Bury guns in Virginia state park with GPS tag? :-)

-Smily
I treat trips to or through "those" states just like I would if I were flying to Europe. Avoid it if you can. If you can't avoid it, find alternatives for self defense. I have a bad back and sometimes need the aid of a cane. I carry a Shillelagh for a cane, and put whatever kind of knife that is legal in the states/countries I'll be visting/passing through into my checked luggage. They let me carry the Shillelagh right onto the aircraft. I just don't bother with a firearm. It is just not worth the hassle, because the governments of those states don't even follow their own laws. They are corrupt, and they make it up as they go along, based on whether or not they like the cut of your jib. If you're driving a big pickup truck with Texas plates, they don't like the cut of your jib, and they would like nothing better than to snap you up and make an example to you.

The only exception to my policy is if I drive to California, and then I limit my traveling firearm(s) to a revolver and/or 1911 — handguns that are traditionalist and have no possiblity of being over the "cop-killer" 10 round capacity.

Frankly, neither New York nor New Jersey deserve a dime of my hard-earned money, and the only reason I can see a need to fly over them is to drop some blue ice.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Frankly, neither New York nor New Jersey deserve a dime of my hard-earned money, and the only reason I can see a need to fly over them is to drop some blue ice.
Use your imagination. I can think of other things that would be fun to drop in a flyover.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I may be in the minority here, but I'm OK with going on the trip - but then again, I spend a good 1/3 to 1/2 of my life on international travel, so I'm doing so disarmed anyway.

When I'm here in Texas, I carry 100% of the time, unless I'm required to go to a place that is prohibited.
  • I go to a private postal center instead of the Post Office whenever possible.
  • I drop my daughter off at school, but I do not go inside.
  • I use a paid service to handle my constant need for new visas, rather than visit the consulates myself.
  • I use a paid service to get my new passport every 2-3 years, rather than go to the federal building downtown.
  • I check my EDC and bring it with me when I fly to visit family in Tennessee, the Carolinas, and Florida.
Yes, I do all I can do to stay armed, as much as I can, and as often as I can. But I am also not going to turn down the opportunity to live life to its fullest. To us, that means travel, among other things. The world is much bigger than the US, and the US is much bigger than Texas. I enjoy visiting places overseas with my family, and I also enjoy taking them to places here in the US - even in the 2nd Amendment-free zones.

My wife is an immigrant, and she received her US citizenship in 2010. How can I NOT take her to see the Yankee Capitol in D.C.? (we had a great time there when we went). Why would I avoid taking her to California to see the Golden Gate Bridge and walk around in North Beach? (we also enjoyed heading south on that trip to see the Reagan Library in Simi Valley). Why would I avoid taking my family to see the historical sites in Boston? (I plan to take them there in the fall). And for all the liberals in Hawaii, that's high on her list of places to go, so we'll likely spend our 10th anniversary there this year (JRangel and USA1, if she finds out, I'll know that you told her!).

I'm as happy knowing that my 6-year old has visited DC, LA, and Seattle as I am knowing that she has been to Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, and Australia.

Blast away if you wish, but I'm happy to do these things, and I recommend the OP continue with the travel plans. Find a way to secure the weapon before entering hostile territory. The gun store idea is fantastic, and I've done it myself before going to NASA here in Houston.

And don't think for a second that either of us (she has her CHL as well) are in condition: white while we're less-armed. We keep the same vigilance in 2A-free America as we do when we're overseas.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Smily wrote:This weekend I am driving to Manhattan through Maryland, then New Jersey, and into New York city.

-Smily

All I can say is sorry and send my condolences.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”