Driving to Manhattan NY

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Driving to Manhattan NY

Post by cb1000rider »

Smily wrote:Ha. Im driving a RAM 3500 with Texas plates. Im just asking for it...
Consider an up front retainer to a good attorney part of the trip cost if you go with TX plates armed.

Topic author
Smily
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Smily »

I have no intention of going into the fascist states armed. Reading their laws on pepper spray is enough to make my blood boil.
I have already detailed my truck and removed all firearm related items and empty shell casings. I will probably go over it one more time before I leave.

Unfortunately I have to go to Manhattan for work reasons. I need to move some equipment for a bitcoin conference. At least I can support financial freedom while there. Rand Paul will be there to offer support for Bitcoin/raise money for his presidential bid.

I like the idea of finding a friendly gun store in Virginia. I may make some phone calls.

TVegas

Post by TVegas »

If there aren't already stores in the 2A-friendly border states offering a "gun-sitter" service (deep clean & secure storage), there is a decent bit of money being missed out on.
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

Topic author
Smily
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Smily »

Well... Other than being a truck, 4x4, w/Texas plates and burning diesel, after a 3 hr detailing of my vehicle, It is now Fascist Certified :mad5

-Smily

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CleverNickname »

TVegas wrote:If there aren't already stores in the 2A-friendly border states offering a "gun-sitter" service (deep clean & secure storage), there is a decent bit of money being missed out on.
An FFL would be able to accept the gun, but since the OP is not a resident of that state, he wouldn't be able to have the gun returned to him on his trip back. He would have to have the FFL mail the gun to an FFL in Texas.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

CleverNickname wrote:
TVegas wrote:If there aren't already stores in the 2A-friendly border states offering a "gun-sitter" service (deep clean & secure storage), there is a decent bit of money being missed out on.
An FFL would be able to accept the gun, but since the OP is not a resident of that state, he wouldn't be able to have the gun returned to him on his trip back. He would have to have the FFL mail the gun to an FFL in Texas.
Isn't tyranny great?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

CleverNickname wrote:
A gunsmith can and will return the gun.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra

Post by jmra »

CleverNickname wrote:
I thought that went out the window with the federal court ruling against state residency requirements for handgun purchases.
http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/02/resid ... itutional/
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

I left my Glock in a tub of Blue Bell Ice Cream in the freezer of a hotel room in Virginia before going Northeast into non-free state territory. As long as you're still checked in to the hotel room, nobody will touch your Blue Bell.
Smily wrote:This weekend I am driving to Manhattan through Maryland, then New Jersey, and into New York city. I would rather not be disarmed the whole trip. Any advice? Bury guns in Virginia state park with GPS tag? :-)

-Smily

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

jmra wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:
I thought that went out the window with the federal court ruling against state residency requirements for handgun purchases.
http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/02/resid ... itutional/
That ruling is only applicable in the area covered by the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas, where Mance v. Holder was decided.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I might be able to suggest a realistic alternative that might help you out. Instead of going through Maryland and NJ, take I-95 into Philadelphia. PA is a much more gun friendly state and there is a good train system that you can use to get to Manhattan. Leave the truck parked in Philly and take the train. This solves the problem of driving in NY and parking a full size truck, both of which can be real trouble. If you leave the gun in Philly also, you will at least be armed for most of the trip and not run afoul of gun laws in NJ and NY.

And, no, I am not suggesting leaving the gun in an unattended truck. I have relatives in Philly who I think I can talk into letting you park the truck by their house and keeping an eye on it. No charge for the parking that way and the gun is safe.

The drawback to this, of course, is it means you do not have a vehicle in NY. It is hard to give up your own personal transportation and I don't like (read trust) the NY taxi drivers, but the parking problems might make this a preferable solution.
Steve Rothstein

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I can think of absolutely NO reason whatsoever that I'd make the trip you describe; ergo, I shan't offer any advice that hasn't already been put forth other than....Good luck!

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I'm going to join the chorus....isn't that original?

Were I "required" to drive to NYC by my company, I would make certain the trip was so expensive they would never send me again!

I would never even consider taking my personal vehicle, bad enough taking my person.

Parking a large truck in Manhattan for any length of time will cost $100 per visit or so - IF you can find a parking garage big enough.

A family in our church has a son in law who grew up in upstate NY and decided the whole family needed to visit NYC. I've never seen people so disgusted and glad to be home as they were. The son in law told me taking all seven of them out to eat at night cost him $500 a pop. Even he said he'd had enough of NY! All I can say is Bon Voyage.

:biggrinjester:
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

As always, srothstein is full of great ideas. Yup, I would leave the gun in a tub of blue bell In a motel in phillly.
srothstein wrote:I might be able to suggest a realistic alternative that might help you out. Instead of going through Maryland and NJ, take I-95 into Philadelphia. PA is a much more gun friendly state and there is a good train system that you can use to get to Manhattan. Leave the truck parked in Philly and take the train. This solves the problem of driving in NY and parking a full size truck, both of which can be real trouble. If you leave the gun in Philly also, you will at least be armed for most of the trip and not run afoul of gun laws in NJ and NY.

And, no, I am not suggesting leaving the gun in an unattended truck. I have relatives in Philly who I think I can talk into letting you park the truck by their house and keeping an eye on it. No charge for the parking that way and the gun is safe.

The drawback to this, of course, is it means you do not have a vehicle in NY. It is hard to give up your own personal transportation and I don't like (read trust) the NY taxi drivers, but the parking problems might make this a preferable solution.

EvilTuna

Post by EvilTuna »

The most unpleasant thing about driving in New Jersey is that you are not allowed to pump your own gas. :shock:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”