Using CHL As ID

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Using CHL As ID

Post by striker55 »

Used my chl by mistake at a Best Buy, I didn't have my glasses and when asked for id I thought I handed the salesgirl my DL. When she looked at it she said this will work, she never saw one before.

mgood

Post by mgood »

I did once by accident years ago.
I went to the bank drive-through with my paycheck. I had already filled out the deposit slip with "less cash" getting some cash out of the check and depositing the rest. Have to show ID to get cash. I whipped up to the drive-through, grabbed the little tube thingy, tossed my check, deposit slip, and ID in the tube and hit send, just as fast as I could do those things. While sitting there waiting for my money, I noticed my DL was still in my wallet.
. . . :shock: Ooops!
Tube came back with my cash and my CHL. The teller never made a comment about it.
Last edited by mgood on Sun May 31, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Just two days ago I used my CHL at the DPS DMV office as ID to get a replacement DL.
NRA Endowment Member

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Wonder how the bouncer at a bar would react if I used my CHL to get in. :mrgreen:
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

jmra

Post by jmra »

I've used my CHL to get the way my name is listed on my DL changed (wanted my full middle name instead of just middle initial).
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

If one cares to use it as I.D. - it's his or her decision.

Some vehemently exclaim, they would never use it as an I.D.

O.K. you don't have to.

But, if I want to, I will...

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

I have used mine as an ID to vote. There were stories floating around at the time of polling stations not aware it was a valid ID. I wanted to test my county. No problems.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Vol Texan wrote:
winters wrote:Cant use it to go through security at any airport. but they let you use a costco card. explain that to me.
I cannot use it in Texas (the local TSA folks know what to look for), but I do use it often in parts of the country where the 2nd Amendment does not apply (New Jersey, Chicago, the People's Republic of California). It is fun to see the look on their faces when they recognize it for what it is.
Another instance where I use it often is when I am traveling overseas. For example, I use it a lot in Australia. Here's the scenario:

Pubs are a regular dinner spot in Perth, which I visit a couple times a year for work. it is typical for the dinner pubs to maintain a 'card book' behind the bar (think about a three-ring binder full of plastic pages to hold business cards - and each card has a unique 2-digit customer number that they can assign). To start your dinner, you have to provide an ID, and they slide it in the book & issue you the customer card in return. Then, throughout the meal, if you want another drink, more chips, or anything else, you show your card, and they add it to the bill for "Customer 43".

This is Australia, of course, and many folks we meet are intrigued by the unique aspects of U.S. culture, including our love of guns. Being Aussies as they are, they tend to assume all Americans are "gun nuts", and would have no idea that MDA, Brady or others of that ilk even exist. (The same way we all think that Steve Irwin is typical for all Aussies - hint: they're not). For this reason, I welcome any opportunity to help folks there understand the positive aspects of our gun culture, so they can learn the difference between a Rambo-wannabe gun nut and the typical CHL holder who just wants to protect his/her family. So...when it finally CSS time to leave, and I trade my "Customer 43" card for the final bill (this is usually the first time they actually look at my ID), I often get some interesting questions.

Of course, this is after the server has interacted with me (clean-cut, white-collar, and all that stuff) for an hour, they now have a conflicting image - how is it that this guy likes guns, apparently carries one, but doesn't act like a bad guy in a Sylvester Stallone movie? Needless to say, I try to make the experience as enlightening for them as possible, and I hope to be a good ambassador of the 2nd Amendment. Using my CHL asy ID in that situation helps to facilitate that conversation.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Wes

Post by Wes »

My girlfriend has used it as ID at bars before with no issue, she lost her DL and that's all she had. She tried using it at a Houlihans restaurant though and was denied. Guess that won't be happening again, although what recourse was one really have if they still deny you?
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Glockster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Glockster »

Wes wrote:My girlfriend has used it as ID at bars before with no issue, she lost her DL and that's all she had. She tried using it at a Houlihans restaurant though and was denied. Guess that won't be happening again, although what recourse was one really have if they still deny you?
Same recourse anyone has when encountering someone violating the law. I keep a note on my iPhone with the new law copied directly from the state site just in case.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Glockster wrote:
Wes wrote:My girlfriend has used it as ID at bars before with no issue, she lost her DL and that's all she had. She tried using it at a Houlihans restaurant though and was denied. Guess that won't be happening again, although what recourse was one really have if they still deny you?
Same recourse anyone has when encountering someone violating the law. I keep a note on my iPhone with the new law copied directly from the state site just in case.
I don't think it's against the law for them to refuse to recognize it, but the new law says they can take it if they want to.

Reminds me of 25 years ago when I was in the Navy. We went to a Penn State football game with some buddies. After we went to a local bar to have a drinks. The bouncer was hassling a college kid who only had a US Passport for ID. He said WE ONLY TAKE PA DRIVERS LICENSE, and sent the kid away. Meanwhile, we walked in one showing a VA DL and me a military identification card.

No if I could gin up a passable US Passport forgery, I sure as hell wouldn't be selling them to Penn State freshmen to buy beer, I'm thinking more on the lines of setting myself up in Laredo, or maybe Iraq & Syria. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Taypo »

Had someone use one for ID yesterday at work. Younger guy, very obviously proud of it. Ended up in a 10 minute conversation about guns and such.

Personally, still not something I'd do but it may lead to some new conversations...

Glockster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Glockster »

ScottDLS wrote:
Glockster wrote:
I don't think it's against the law for them to refuse to recognize it, but the new law says they can take it if they want to.

Reminds me of 25 years ago when I was in the Navy. We went to a Penn State football game with some buddies. After we went to a local bar to have a drinks. The bouncer was hassling a college kid who only had a US Passport for ID. He said WE ONLY TAKE PA DRIVERS LICENSE, and sent the kid away. Meanwhile, we walked in one showing a VA DL and me a military identification card.

No if I could gin up a passable US Passport forgery, I sure as heck wouldn't be selling them to Penn State freshmen to buy beer, I'm thinking more on the lines of setting myself up in Laredo, or maybe Iraq & Syria. :shock:
Actually, yes it is against the new law to refuse to recognize it:

" Sec. 506.001. CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE AS VALID PROOF OF
IDENTIFICATION. (a) A person may not deny the holder of a
concealed handgun license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
Government Code, access to goods, services, or facilities, except
as provided by Section 521.460, Transportation Code, or in regard
to the operation of a motor vehicle, because the holder has or
presents a concealed handgun license rather than a driver's license
or other acceptable form of personal identification."

So they cannot refuse you services because you produce a CHL in lieu of a DL. If they do so, they are violating the law.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

ELB

Post by ELB »

Vol Texan wrote: ...

... it is typical for the dinner pubs to maintain a 'card book' behind the bar (think about a three-ring binder full of plastic pages to hold business cards - and each card has a unique 2-digit customer number that they can assign). To start your dinner, you have to provide an ID, and they slide it in the book & issue you the customer card in return. Then, throughout the meal, if you want another drink, more chips, or anything else, you show your card, and they add it to the bill for "Customer 43".

Interesting procedure. Do you know why they started doing it this way?
Topbuilder wrote:I have used mine as an ID to vote. There were stories floating around at the time of polling stations not aware it was a valid ID. I wanted to test my county. No problems.
I had heard that too, but even before the CHL was specifically called out on the list as acceptable ID, the rule was any government issued photo ID, so I always took a CHL as ID when I worked at polls.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”