Pending Misdemeanor

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BaleKlocoon
Posts in topic: 2

Pending Misdemeanor

Post by BaleKlocoon »

I have a misdemeanor (class A) that has been pending for more than 6 months. I have never been convicted of a crime nor have I accepted any kind of agreement for a crime. Does a pending charge affect my CHL? I haven't been carrying to be on the safe side but I am curious. I know my license will be suspended if I am convicted but I cannot find any information about how a pending charge affects my license.

casp625
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pending Misdemeanor

Post by casp625 »

BaleKlocoon wrote:I have a misdemeanor (class A) that has been pending for more than 6 months. I have never been convicted of a crime nor have I accepted any kind of agreement for a crime. Does a pending charge affect my CHL? I haven't been carrying to be on the safe side but I am curious. I know my license will be suspended if I am convicted but I cannot find any information about how a pending charge affects my license.
The answer to your questions is located here: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... tm#411.187
[/(a) The department shall suspend a license under this section if the license holder:
(1) is charged with the commission of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense, or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense, or of a felony under an information or indictment;
However, my understanding is the police department was suppose to submit a form to Texas DPS stating you are charged with a crime and to suspend your license. What I do not know, however, is if they fail to submit the form, if you are truly suspended and/or must surrender it.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

If you are convicted, make sure you formally surrender your license before it gets revoked.

A class A misdemeanor means no license for 5 years. If they have to revoke it, that adds an extra 2 years.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
BaleKlocoon

Post by BaleKlocoon »

My case was outright dismissed. Should I feel comfortable carrying now? Should I call Texas DPS to confirm I can carry?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Congratulations!

Carry away. No need to contact DPS.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

howdy

Post by howdy »

Keep ALL the paperwork from your legal dealings. Gather it up and put it in a safe place that you can find come CHL renewal time. I do not think there will be a problem but it will help you find the important forms if the DPS has questions.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

howdy wrote:Keep ALL the paperwork from your legal dealings. Gather it up and put it in a safe place that you can find come CHL renewal time. I do not think there will be a problem but it will help you find the important forms if the DPS has questions.
:iagree: I am glad that it turned out well for you.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”