Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Telling the LEO?

Post by C-dub »

The Wall wrote:
thetexan wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

A run (10/28) on your license plate does not reveal you are a CHL holder.
Are you certain about that?

I shouldn't have implied the 'something to prove' with such a broad brush. I am irritated at chls who carry and push the envelope just because they can in order to make a point that many times doesn't need to be made. That non-cooperative, in-you-face personality bugs me, and I had just gotten through having a discussion with one of those types. To everyone who isn't that way I appologize. To those who are that way, (and by that I mean those who deliberately look for opportunities to shove their 2nd amendment in the face of authority), if the shoe fits.

Having said all that I agree that, in general, you don't need to do anything but follow the law. Nothing else is required. Although, I am interested to hear more about running license plates and IDs and whether chl info is revealed during that process and how we know that.

tex
Driver's license, yes.

License plate, no.

However, I have always wondered if the DL can be obtained from determining the registered owner from a license plate.
I can tell you and my wife can also tell you it does show up when they run your license. She got stopped for a headlight being out and didn't tell them she had a CHL. He came back to the car and asked her about it. She wasn't carrying at the time but I was sitting in the passenger seat. He didn't say a thing to me and I didn't say a thing to him. She just got a verbal warning to get it fixed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

thetexan wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Are you certain about that?

I shouldn't have implied the 'something to prove' with such a broad brush. I am irritated at chls who carry and push the envelope just because they can in order to make a point that many times doesn't need to be made. That non-cooperative, in-you-face personality bugs me, and I had just gotten through having a discussion with one of those types. To everyone who isn't that way I appologize. To those who are that way, (and by that I mean those who deliberately look for opportunities to shove their 2nd amendment in the face of authority), if the shoe fits.

Having said all that I agree that, in general, you don't need to do anything but follow the law. Nothing else is required. Although, I am interested to hear more about running license plates and IDs and whether chl info is revealed during that process and how we know that.

tex
If you are stopped the LEO may run what is a 10/28 (this tells who the vehicle is registered to and what the vehicle is) and a 10/29 (to see if it is stolen). They usually run these together. It will tell them if you have valid insurance, but nothing about your CHL.

When the LEO runs your DL then it will tell them you have a CHL.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

C-dub wrote:There also seems to be some concern over the difference between failure to display when asked for ID versus not having it with us at all. The penalty for failure to display has been removed, but when an officer discovers that you have a CHL, after running your DL, you will be asked about it at that time. Being unable to produce a license at that time will probably result in an Unlicensed Carrying Weapon charge. I'm more than a little perturbed by this because the license is still valid and can be confirmed even though it is not in our possession at the time. It's just written in the law that we have to have it with us if we are carrying.
Reminds me of the last ticket I got. Re-registered the car, was going to put the sticker on it later. Forgot about it, got stopped for expired registration.
Wrote me that ticket, I said "wait, here it is"... Tore that ticket up and wrote me a ticket for "failure to display"....

DOH!

To get a failure to display registration ticket dismissed, you show that you had a valid sticker and pay $10.

Lesson learned on my end.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

carlson1 wrote:
thetexan wrote:You are only required to show your CHL if you are carrying on or about your person at the time a peace officer or magistrate requires you to show id.

If I am not carrying I show anyway. I do so as a practical matter. He will know you have a chl if he runs your id or plates and then wonder why you didn't mention it.

Yes, I know you don't have to. I'm comfortable in my confidence in my knowledge of my rights and have long ago stopped having something to prove. Cooperate when you can. It may save you a bad day later.

Tex
My friend got pulled over the other day for speeding. The first thing out of the officers mouth was where is your weapon. He knew before she could even get her ID out. How did he know she was a chl holder?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

lildave40 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
thetexan wrote:You are only required to show your CHL if you are carrying on or about your person at the time a peace officer or magistrate requires you to show id.

If I am not carrying I show anyway. I do so as a practical matter. He will know you have a chl if he runs your id or plates and then wonder why you didn't mention it.

Yes, I know you don't have to. I'm comfortable in my confidence in my knowledge of my rights and have long ago stopped having something to prove. Cooperate when you can. It may save you a bad day later.

Tex
My friend got pulled over the other day for speeding. The first thing out of the officers mouth was where is your weapon. He knew before she could even get her ID out. How did he know she was a chl holder?
Same question just worded different. "How much marijuana do you have in the car?"

I can promise you this it did not come from her registration.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

carlson1 wrote:
lildave40 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Tex
Same question just worded different. "How much marijuana do you have in the car?"

Gotcha. learn something new everyday.

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

carlson1 wrote:
lildave40 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Tex

A department can set up their query system into TCIC and NCIC/NLETS (Texas Crime Information Center and National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System) to automatically follow-up a registration check (the officer calls in your vehicle's license plate) with a drivers license check on the registered owner of the vehicle in one transaction. Thus they get the vehicle registration plus any wants/warrants on the vehicle, the name of the registered owner, plus drivers license info and wants and warrants on that person in one fell swoop.

It is on the drivers license info that shows you have a CHL, at least in Texas. Other states may domit differently.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

n5wd wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
lildave40 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Tex

A department can set up their query system into TCIC and NCIC/NLETS (Texas Crime Information Center and National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System) to automatically follow-up a registration check (the officer calls in your vehicle's license plate) with a drivers license check on the registered owner of the vehicle in one transaction. Thus they get the vehicle registration plus any wants/warrants on the vehicle, the name of the registered owner, plus drivers license info and wants and warrants on that person in one fell swoop.

It is on the drivers license info that shows you have a CHL, at least in Texas. Other states may domit differently.
If my son is driving my truck (registered to me) how will a return hit on his DL?

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

carlson1 wrote: If my son is driving my truck (registered to me) how will a return hit on his DL?
It won't. It'll return your registration info and CHL. The officer may assume that it's you - it'd be easy not to calculate age if you're thinking about "armed".

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

So if CHL status is tied to DL records, why are we still carrying two pieces of plastic? There's GOT to be a way to put a stamp on a DL and issue a single piece of ID that works for both.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Taypo wrote:So if CHL status is tied to DL records, why are we still carrying two pieces of plastic? There's GOT to be a way to put a stamp on a DL and issue a single piece of ID that works for both.
For the SAME reason that you have to carry "proof" of insurance when they can check that electronically, too. In fact, just because you have that proof, doesn't mean that you've made all your payments. The electronic version is most likely more accurate.

Besides, many people do NOT want to expose the fact that they have a CHL to everybody they have to show a DL to.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Taypo wrote:So if CHL status is tied to DL records, why are we still carrying two pieces of plastic? There's GOT to be a way to put a stamp on a DL and issue a single piece of ID that works for both.
For the SAME reason that you have to carry "proof" of insurance when they can check that electronically, too. In fact, just because you have that proof, doesn't mean that you've made all your payments. The electronic version is most likely more accurate.
I hear ya.

Oddly enough, last time I got tagged for speeding I tried to hand the cop my insurance card with my license. He said "Nah, you're good there" so there are some of em out there using the technology.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Do you want everyone who sees your DL to know you have a CHL? I don't.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

SirTexasSir wrote: Which is why I at this point refuse to back constitutional carry and the fact that it doesn't top felons from abusing the laws since LEO's can't ask them for there ID without reason.
Respectfully, there is already a law barring felons from even being in possession of firearms. Constitutional carry would in no way contain wording that would allow felons that right, much less to carry a handgun.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”