Psychiatrists

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cnielson79
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Psychiatrists

Post by cnielson79 »

The Wall wrote:Contact the doctor in MN. and see if he can help you without you going there. It might worth it to go see him and get the paperwork you need. You may need this for other things in the future other than a CHL. Aren't childhood records sealed? Was wondering why you needed to tell them at all. Other than being honest, do you have to disclose that far back? Good luck!
I did call him he can comment on my history, but the "good" folks in Austin are saying I need a recent evaluation. I may just have to make a trip up there, to have him say that I am capable of making sound judgment. That's what needs to be done, I'm not trying to undo the diagnosis. The messed up thing, is I have a license to work as an armed security guard. I can protect money while in uniform, but they aren't sure they want me to be able to protect myself and my wife off duty. The fact that I've been gainfully employed the past 15 years, have a credit score of 800, and only have one misdemeanor charge should tell those dopes in Austin that I am perfectly capable of making sound judgment, but it doesn't. Also, I can still carry a gun in my truck under the motorist's protection act. Which, I do and have been for years.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

mojo84 wrote:I was just thinking about this further. Being in the health insurance business, I would bet you would be shocked if you knew what percentage of people have been diagnosed with some sort of DSM diagnosis in the past or is being treated now. If all of those illnesses were dis-qualifiers with regard to gun ownership or CHL licensing, there would be a surprising few people that would legally own or carry guns.
Yup. A doctor friend of mine says that I'm the odd one because there isn't anything wrong with me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr surveyor »

toddlinder wrote:In the DFW area I know of a few folks that could do this, but no one in the Beaumont area. As a mental health practitioner I don't think this will be that hard - you just need someone to evaluate ADHD today, if no ADHD symptoms then it is an easy letter to write. If there are then they are just evaluating functioning and judgement. Again, I think it is a relatively easy letter to write. I am thinking you should be able to get all that for $500 or so. Just my experience.

To me, this sounds like advice from someone "in the know".

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

cnielson79 wrote:
The Wall wrote:Contact the doctor in MN. and see if he can help you without you going there. It might worth it to go see him and get the paperwork you need. You may need this for other things in the future other than a CHL. Aren't childhood records sealed? Was wondering why you needed to tell them at all. Other than being honest, do you have to disclose that far back? Good luck!
I did call him he can comment on my history, but the "good" folks in Austin are saying I need a recent evaluation. I may just have to make a trip up there, to have him say that I am capable of making sound judgment. That's what needs to be done, I'm not trying to undo the diagnosis. The messed up thing, is I have a license to work as an armed security guard. I can protect money while in uniform, but they aren't sure they want me to be able to protect myself and my wife off duty. The fact that I've been gainfully employed the past 15 years, have a credit score of 800, and only have one misdemeanor charge should tell those dopes in Austin that I am perfectly capable of making sound judgment, but it doesn't. Also, I can still carry a gun in my truck under the motorist's protection act. Which, I do and have been for years.
Do you think this doc could recommend someone down here for you to see? Maybe a professional referral?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

That's why parents of children need to pay cash and not do insurance for certain illnesses and addictions. You do NOT have to supply your social security number to a doctor.
cnielson79 wrote:I saw a psychiatrist when I was a kid for ADHD, and I admitted to it on my CHL application. The DPS wants me to see a psychiatrist again to state that I either have no condition that would impair my judgment or that it is in remission. The problem is, the doctor I saw as a kid is in Minnesota and I haven't seen him in over 20 years. I need something from the last 6 months. I tried going to a psychiatrist here in Beaumont, he refused to even do an evaluation because he doesn't know my history. Does anybody know of any psychiatrists that will do an evaluation. I have a letter from my old doctor stating what his diagnosis was. I do not have time to waste! I am willing to travel as far as Houston.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

drjoker wrote:That's why parents of children need to pay cash and not do insurance for certain illnesses and addictions. You do NOT have to supply your social security number to a doctor.
cnielson79 wrote:I saw a psychiatrist when I was a kid for ADHD, and I admitted to it on my CHL application. The DPS wants me to see a psychiatrist again to state that I either have no condition that would impair my judgment or that it is in remission. The problem is, the doctor I saw as a kid is in Minnesota and I haven't seen him in over 20 years. I need something from the last 6 months. I tried going to a psychiatrist here in Beaumont, he refused to even do an evaluation because he doesn't know my history. Does anybody know of any psychiatrists that will do an evaluation. I have a letter from my old doctor stating what his diagnosis was. I do not have time to waste! I am willing to travel as far as Houston.
Adults too.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

remington79

Post by remington79 »

This is why you don't divulge this type of information. I know someone with a medical condition that when they first got their driver's license it took 6 months to get because of all the hoops and red tape and doctor visits they had to do. Since then when they have moved to different states they haven't disclosed this information. All because of the red tape. They are informed about their condition and know when to drive or not.

Because of what happened to you (and this is from when you were a kid) and to them I would not make any mention of this on an application for anything. In fact some states are now using this information as a form of back door gun control and have taken some people's firearms based on this type of information.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”