Can anyone give an update on open carry legislation

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 1

Can anyone give an update on open carry legislation

Post by thetexan »

Can someone give an update on the open carry legislation. Last I heard both houses had to meet in conference to iron out differences. Where does that stand. What is the deadline?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

stash

Re: Can anyone give an update on open carry legislation

Post by stash »

Every thing is good. All that is left is for the Governor to sign off on it.

The Huffines/Dutton amendment was removed from the bill in order for it to pass.
Last edited by stash on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Here's a good thread to see what was sent to the Governor
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=77874
NRA Life Member

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Wow. I just read through the open carry bill and it is LONG!
I know, a lot of it is simply deleting the word "concealed" from other statutes, but still it is a lot to digest.
Is there anyplace to find a good synopsis of the new law and what a license holder actually can and cannot do?
Remember, we will have a limited amount of time to teach this in our classes, so we will need some sort of condensed, meat and potatoes version of it for our students. And please don't say that we can wait until next year for that. People taking our classes now will need to know what the law will be in just a few months.
Also, I would imagine that DPS would want to rush a new written exam into place so that students taking classes now will be tested on what laws they will be subject to very shortly.
Also, I have in various places seen reference to "retention holsters" with regard to open carry. I saw in the bill that OC must be in a belt or shoulder holster, but I don't know if the word "retention" is actually in the law. Is that word there, and if so, what is the definition of "retention"?
Thanks in advance.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

John Galt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John Galt »

Has the Governor signed it?

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

John Galt wrote:Has the Governor signed it?
Not yet, but he has stated he will. He would have to veto for it to not become law and there's no way that happens.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

He has until about Wednesday by my figures to do so, or it would become law without his signature.
I'm thinking we will see a big media event soon and he will sign them all. :txflag:
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

RossA wrote:Wow. I just read through the open carry bill and it is LONG!
I know, a lot of it is simply deleting the word "concealed" from other statutes, but still it is a lot to digest.
Is there anyplace to find a good synopsis of the new law and what a license holder actually can and cannot do?
Remember, we will have a limited amount of time to teach this in our classes, so we will need some sort of condensed, meat and potatoes version of it for our students. And please don't say that we can wait until next year for that. People taking our classes now will need to know what the law will be in just a few months.
Also, I would imagine that DPS would want to rush a new written exam into place so that students taking classes now will be tested on what laws they will be subject to very shortly.
Also, I have in various places seen reference to "retention holsters" with regard to open carry. I saw in the bill that OC must be in a belt or shoulder holster, but I don't know if the word "retention" is actually in the law. Is that word there, and if so, what is the definition of "retention"?
Thanks in advance.
There's not a whole lot of change between now and when OC is legal. Addition of 30.07 sign, can carry open unless you are anywhere on a college campus (including walkways and parking lots, etc.), retention on holster must be taught in class, but retention holster not required to carry, and must be in shoulder or belt holster. Reduced penalty for 30.06 violation.

Anything I forgot?

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

safety1 wrote:
He has until about Wednesday by my figures to do so, or it would become law without his signature.
I'm thinking we will see a big media event soon and he will sign them all. :txflag:
I believe he actually has until 6/20 or 6/21. It's usually 10 days after he gets the bill, but it's 20 at the end.

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

so has the penalty for violating 30.06 been reduced to a lower misdemeanor where you don't lose your license?
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

viking1000

Post by viking1000 »

I am betting on June 19th for him to sign. Just a hunch....

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

GlockDude26 wrote:so has the penalty for violating 30.06 been reduced to a lower misdemeanor where you don't lose your license?

Yes, HB910 makes accidentally carrying past a 30.06 a Class C misdemeanor. If you are asked to leave and refuse, then it becomes Class A misdemeanor as before.
NRA Life Member

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

longhorn86 wrote:
GlockDude26 wrote:so has the penalty for violating 30.06 been reduced to a lower misdemeanor where you don't lose your license?

Yes, HB910 makes accidentally carrying past a 30.06 a Class C misdemeanor. If you are asked to leave and refuse, then it becomes Class A misdemeanor as before.
It also applies to 30.07.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

viking1000 wrote:I am betting on June 19th for him to sign. Just a hunch....
:mrgreen:

striker55

Post by striker55 »

When governor signs the law it won't go into effect until January 1st?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”