CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Open Carry - License visible to the public as well

Post by anygunanywhere »

jmra wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
sircas wrote:I am thinking that visibly displaying your CHL (clear plastic case or office's type badge wallet) around your neck or right next to your gun on your belt would be great! If you are Openly carrying a firearm then openly carry your CHL.

Will probably save some . harassment! Just a thought!
Surely you can't be serious.
:iagree:
I assumed this was sarcasm
Yes.

Of course the OP can come back with "I've never been more serious in my life and don't call me Shirley."
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

SA_Steve wrote:nope
Treasure of Sierra Madre
He was misinformed... :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

DocV

Post by DocV »

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

When you OC, you are OCing. Everyone will assume you have a CHL. Happy carrying.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Javier730
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Javier730 »

This is a joke, right? As bad and silly of an idea I believe a CHL badge is, this is much worse. If you do manage to stop a robbery or a bad guy, he will know where you live. I hope your kidding.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Javier730
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Javier730 »

DocV wrote:[ Image ]
"rlol"
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Didn't someone try and add an amendment that required you to have a badge if you were open carrying? Think it go tabled. How about CHL hats?

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

If you are going to open carry half the battle is looking and acting like you belong there with your gun and like someone who is authorized to carry one.

I can guarantee you that if I carry in my business attire or casual business attire and look professional I will not generate nearly as much interest as someone who comes in in jeans with tattoos and looking like he's done time.

Appearances and demeanor is everything

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

thetexan wrote:If you are going to open carry half the battle is looking and acting like you belong there with your gun and like someone who is authorized to carry one.

I can guarantee you that if I carry in my business attire or casual business attire and look professional I will not generate nearly as much interest as someone who comes in in jeans with tattoos and looking like he's done time.

Tex
Just a proper holster should do the trick.

Ever see a criminal wearing a hoodie and baggy jeans with a Milt Sparks attached to them?

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

thetexan wrote:If you are going to open carry half the battle is looking and acting like you belong there with your gun and like someone who is authorized to carry one.

Tex
:smash: :thumbs2:

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Javier730 wrote:This is a joke, right? As bad and silly of an idea I believe a CHL badge is, this is much worse. If you do manage to stop a robbery or a bad guy, he will know where you live. I hope your kidding.
How? Anyone who wants to know your address is going to have to get closer than any BG should be able to unless he beats you. I don't really see any benefit but the negativity is just over the top.

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

EEllis wrote:
Javier730 wrote:This is a joke, right? As bad and silly of an idea I believe a CHL badge is, this is much worse. If you do manage to stop a robbery or a bad guy, he will know where you live. I hope your kidding.
How? Anyone who wants to know your address is going to have to get closer than any BG should be able to unless he beats you. I don't really see any benefit but the negativity is just over the top.
:iagree:

The OP is just asking openly, not trying to start a firestorm of negativity. It depends on your angle. I don't think it's a terrible idea if he wants to do it. I'm used to having a badge and a gun, I feel extremely awkward carrying a gun now without my badge next to it, and I can't help but feel like if somebody by chance sees "one" of my carry guns, I might end up with somebody screaming gun, and some cop or security guard drawing on me. I would feel much better with my big fat golden badge back on my belt next to my OWB carry. Likely just me that feels this way, but goodness, if you could hear me when I go into crowded public places like wally world, you would hear me asking my wife all the time, "how do I look honey." (Codeword for: do you see anything, am I tucked well, should I go to the bathroom, any ominous bulging?) She replies: "You're fine honey, stop worrying."

It's never been an issue until now, but goodness does it make me paranoid. I can just hear a lady at wally world screaming "he's got a gun!" when I bend over to pick up something my child dropped out the basket.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

big454

Post by big454 »

Just stating an opinion here but I also don't think once you are open carrying it's so bad to carry a Texas handgun license identifier that might put the public and law enforcement at ease . :headscratch :~)
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Honestly? Your identifier is the holstered pistol on your hip. It's not stuck into a waistband, "gangsta style." It's not in your hand, being pointed at people. It's in its holster, just the same as the cop's gun.

We don't carry our law enforcement credentials on a lanyard around our necks. The uniform itself is an identifier. Part of that uniform is the "bat-belt" and the holstered pistol. Guess what? Your "uniform" as a law-abiding, pistol-packing person who (presumably) possesses a license (after all, you ARE law-abiding, right?), is "normal" clothes, normal shoes, normal belt... and a holstered pistol.

That ought to be identifier enough for anyone. It's certainly enough for me.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

big454 wrote:Just stating an opinion here but I also don't think once you are open carrying it's so bad to carry a Texas handgun license identifier that might put the public and law enforcement at ease . :headscratch :~)
Break out the CHL badges "rlol"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”