OWB and Retention Holster

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
casp625
Posts in topic: 3

OWB and Retention Holster

Post by casp625 »

Sorry if this has already been brought up (tried using the search function) but I was just wondering what everyone's take on retention holsters are? I know some people state they carry OWB with a shirt or jacket pulled over top. Both this kind of carry and IWB carry, I don't believe a retention holster is necessary.

However, with the new OC law taking effect at the end of the year, some may choose to carry OWB in plain view. If you choose to carry in the plain view method, will you be utilizing a retention holster (i.e thumb break or other style) or an open top?

RoyGBiv

Re: OWB and Retention Holster

Post by RoyGBiv »

I just picked up a retention holster to try out. Arrived today, so, can't comment yet.
Planning to carry "Concealed OWB", NOT OC, once the rules change.

http://www.safariland.com/belt-slide/mo ... 10870.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option that seems to have good feedback is the Safariland GLS system.
https://www.safariland.com/category-lan ... sters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

I like my SERPA too.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Beiruty wrote:I like my SERPA too.
Language warning about this link
http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... ompilation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Topic author
casp625

Post by casp625 »

Does anyone have any feedback on the thumb breaks? I use a http://firearmholster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; without the thumb break and really like the comfort and versatility of either IWB/OWB. I am considering getting one with the thumb break...

harrycallahan
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by harrycallahan »

casp625 wrote:Does anyone have any feedback on the thumb breaks? I use a http://firearmholster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; without the thumb break and really like the comfort and versatility of either IWB/OWB. I am considering getting one with the thumb break...
I know they are not considered to be a retention holster at least in the vernacular we a speaking of. I have been looking around and Mitch Rosen makes a nice one.
http://www.mitchrosen.com/products/hols ... -holsters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Beiruty wrote:I like my SERPA too.
Language warning about this link
http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... ompilation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Very informative read.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

MMac

Post by MMac »

I just received a Safariland ALS paddle holster and really like it (came with a belt loop attachment too). I had used one before when I worked at a range. It has the thumb break but works so naturally it's almost like it's not there. I was looking for something OWB as my IWB holsters put a lot of stress on my hips from my belt, which was causing some numbness in my thigh. I do like my Ramaor IWB though and will use it when I want to go IWB. I also wanted an OWB for 2 reasons - if I ever did decide to OC (doubtful) and as I'm losing weight and getting smaller sizes and pants that fit I didn't want to have to keep worrying about leaving enough room for my IWB holsters.
Mac
Houston/Klein, TX
NRA Member
S&W M&P 9FS, 9c, Shield 9, 15-22

ou20081

Post by ou20081 »

I use a Bianchi CarryLok 82 and it works great

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

ou20081 wrote:I use a Bianchi CarryLok 82 and it works great
So.... How do you get it to bend a little to fit a curved body?
I picked up the 82 and very much like it's quality, but I'm having a hard time finding a place on my waistline where it fits. The lock mechanism makes it a bit wider and a whole lot more rigid than a typical holster. When I put it on, one side or the other sticks way out from my waist, regardless of where I position it. I'm playing with belt options to see what I can do...

I'm medium build, 34" waist... not big... not small.. :headscratch

Definitely like the holster, just need to find a way to wear it. :lol:

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

I do not plan on using a retention holster. My main reason is that I do a lot of competition shooting and I don't want to practice/learn a drawstroke that I do not want to use in competition. Most of my OC will be with my competition gun in my competition holster while going out to eat following a match. If I'm OCing other times, it will be with my P938 in a leather holster. The tightness of the leather holster would make it very difficult for anyone attempting to pull the gun out of the holster at an angle that is even slightly off from my normal drawstroke.

If someone is considering a retention holster, I would definitely reccommend a thumb break over a serpa type. Plenty of cases out there where the serpa has led to a ND (usually into the leg) because the shooter curled their finger into the trigger guard, that's where the serpa put their finger.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

My first option would be a Fobus paddle holster with their CH Rapid Release system (similiar to Blackhawk SERPA), but they don't offer one for my EDC (Ruger SR9C). I use a "standard" Fobus paddle now and it's the most comfortable holster I've found. I like the look of the Safariland GLS holster mentioned by RoyGBiv and might give that a try.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

At most, my holsters have only a single retention device (not counting the holster itself, and some of them have none - other than a good fit. My bigger concern is having a reinforced mouth, so that reholstering is easier without fumbling around with the muzzle to find the opening.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

I don't know much about retention holsters but understand some require a button push to release the gun. How does this play out if a LEO wants to disarm someone with a retention device that the LEO is unfamiliar with ?
You may have the last word.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

RoyGBiv wrote:I just picked up a retention holster to try out. Arrived today, so, can't comment yet.
Planning to carry "Concealed OWB", NOT OC, once the rules change.

http://www.safariland.com/belt-slide/mo ... 10870.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option that seems to have good feedback is the Safariland GLS system.
https://www.safariland.com/category-lan ... sters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like the GLS but they are limited to certain guns. 1911 isn't one of them. Oh well!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”