CHL & Your Church

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Re: CHL & Your Church

Post by carlson1 »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
carlson1 wrote: In 2001 I baptized 450 people in that year with a pistol on my waist. My song director carries and the man who does my baptisms now carries during baptisms.
A Glock no doubt! :smilelol5:
Well in 2001 it was a 1911, but today it is a Glock. The secret to keeping dry is the waders with a suit coat on top. :thumbs2:

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deltaboy »

As I Pastor I carried in the pulpit just like Z. N. Morrel did in the Pioneer era of Texas.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

My dad just started attending a cowboy church. When the SC church shooting happened, the next Sunday, the pastor told the congregation that anyone thinking they are sitting ducks for a massacre should think twice because he, or they, would be fatally mistaken. It's nice to know my elderly dad is in good hands every Sunday.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Rhino1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rhino1 »

I went to a large church South of Houston for several years (8000, 3 campuses, multiple services). The pastor had a CHL instructor come in and offer the class to everyone on the church staff that was interested. Moved to the Hill Country in January and have been looking for the right church. Visited one several times in New Braunfels that we liked. Recently logged on the 3006.com to check the local area for businesses that were posted. Imagine my surprise when I saw that this (presumably conservative) church was posted. I never noticed the signs because they are posted at each entrance to the parking lot. I realize they are not valid sign but makes me wonder what else I may find there. No plans to join a free fire zone. Still looking.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Interesting, which one in NB is posted? just out of curiosity. I'm in Schertz.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

I suspect it's Oakwood Baptist.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

mojo84 wrote:I suspect it's Oakwood Baptist.
that's sad. Probably the first church I've heard of that's posted, even if it's wrong.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

Yes, it is Oakwood. Very disappointing
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Rhino1 wrote:... I never noticed the signs because they are posted at each entrance to the parking lot. I realize they are not valid sign ...
What makes them invalid? A parking lot and property can be posted 30.06.

Of course, it would still be legal under the MPA to have a handgun in your car (as it is not under authority of your CHL), but the instant you step out of the car with the handgun it becomes subject to the 30.6 restriction.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I thought that case law had determined that premises means building and parking lot means parking lot. thus we can carry on the campus of a college, but not in a building until the law goes into effect.
~Tracy

jmra

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:I thought that case law had determined that premises means building and parking lot means parking lot. thus we can carry on the campus of a college, but not in a building until the law goes into effect.
Apples and oranges. The premises of a school campus are off limits legislatively without a 30.06 sign. Premise does not include parking lots and sidewalks. 30.06 refers to property. If a 30.06 sign is posted in or at the entrance to a building then the building is off limits. If 30.06 is posted at the entrances to privately owned property then the property is off limits to CHL carry but not MPA carry.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I always understood the intent of the 30.06 sign was to convey the intent of the business (church) that concealed carry was not allowed on the property. When CHL was passed, it spawned a miriad of signs. Subsequent legislature drafted the 30.06 sign to standardize that notice with exact wording, size of letters, English and Spanish... AND it had to be posted prominently so the individual would be given adequate notice, I.e. at the entrance of the building. We had visited 3 or 4 times and never saw the sign at the drive, partially hidden by scrubs.
Be that as it may whether the sign is valid or not, as many have expressed a desire to never do business with a company who bans concealed carry, I do not want to seek my spiritual enrichment from a church with whom I have such a philosophical difference. I bet I can find a Bible teaching church in the area that also embraces the concept of personal self defense

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Rhino1 wrote:I always understood the intent of the 30.06 sign was to convey the intent of the business (church) that concealed carry was not allowed on the property. When CHL was passed, it spawned a miriad of signs. Subsequent legislature drafted the 30.06 sign to standardize that notice with exact wording, size of letters, English and Spanish... AND it had to be posted prominently so the individual would be given adequate notice, I.e. at the entrance of the building. We had visited 3 or 4 times and never saw the sign at the drive, partially hidden by scrubs.
Be that as it may whether the sign is valid or not, as many have expressed a desire to never do business with a company who bans concealed carry, I do not want to seek my spiritual enrichment from a church with whom I have such a philosophical difference. I bet I can find a Bible teaching church in the area that also embraces the concept of personal self defense
Being obscured by bushes might be a problem, but whether posted at the entrance to a parking lot or building makes no difference. A 30.06 sign doesn't even have to be posted at an entrance. It's nice if it is, but it only has to be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dad24GreatKids
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

I won't be surprised if we see many churches post 30.07 signs. In many congregations open carry would be a distraction.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Dad24GreatKids wrote:I won't be surprised if we see many churches post 30.07 signs. In many congregations open carry would be a distraction.
:iagree: :iagree: Depending on what takes place if necessary I will posting a 30.07 at our church. I don't intend to spend my time going from one person to another telling them they need to conceal their firearm and secure it in their vehicle.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”