Reaching for your ... wallet.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 4

Reaching for your ... wallet.

Post by mloamiller »

I keep my DL and CHL in my wallet - right hip pocket, just past my gun at 3:00. I haven't been stopped since I've had my CHL, but in the past, my normal reaction was to reach for my wallet as soon as I pulled over, so I had my DL and insurance card ready for the officer when he came to my window. Now that I'm wearing a gun, I'm very conscious that it's in near proximity to my wallet.

What do others do in this situation:
1. Reach for the wallet anyway.
2. Don't reach for anything until the LEO asks, then tell them you have a CHL/gun before reaching.
3. Always keep DL and CHL immediately available, not in wallet.
4. Something else.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reaching for your ... wallet.

Post by Vol Texan »

mloamiller wrote:I keep my DL and CHL in my wallet - right hip pocket, just past my gun at 3:00. I haven't been stopped since I've had my CHL, but in the past, my normal reaction was to reach for my wallet as soon as I pulled over, so I had my DL and insurance card ready for the officer when he came to my window. Now that I'm wearing a gun, I'm very conscious that it's in near proximity to my wallet.

2. Don't reach for anything until the LEO asks, then tell them you have a CHL/gun before reaching.
4. Something else.
Something else, indeed.

I wear my wallet and gun in the same configuration as you.

I simply have my wallet in hand on the steering wheel before the officer ever gets out of his car. When he walks up, hand both licenses (CHL in front, DL in back, fanned out a bit) and be friendly.

Don't say, "I have a gun". If he wants to know, he'll ask. I've been pulled over a couple of times, and never have they asked, but both times they've looked at the CHL, thanked me for showing it right up front, and handed it back to me before proceeding.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

mloamiller wrote:I keep my DL and CHL in my wallet - right hip pocket, just past my gun at 3:00. I haven't been stopped since I've had my CHL, but in the past, my normal reaction was to reach for my wallet as soon as I pulled over, so I had my DL and insurance card ready for the officer when he came to my window. Now that I'm wearing a gun, I'm very conscious that it's in near proximity to my wallet.

4. Something else.
I don't see any reason to change what you have been doing.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Vol Texan wrote: I simply have my wallet in hand on the steering wheel before the officer ever gets out of his car.
Meaning you do reach for your wallet before the LEO gets to your car. That's where my caution comes in. The act of reaching for the wallet would look just like reaching for the gun - leaning forward slightly, moving hand to your side, etc. When I wasn't carrying a gun, I never gave it a second thought; now it's different. I suppose the key is to make sure all movement is done and hands are clearly visible before he gets to the window.

Just one of those things you don't tend to think about until it happens.
LTC/SSC Instructor

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

mloamiller wrote:
Vol Texan wrote: I simply have my wallet in hand on the steering wheel before the officer ever gets out of his car.
Meaning you do reach for your wallet before the LEO gets to your car. That's where my caution comes in. The act of reaching for the wallet would look just like reaching for the gun - leaning forward slightly, moving hand to your side, etc. When I wasn't carrying a gun, I never gave it a second thought; now it's different. I suppose the key is to make sure all movement is done and hands are clearly visible before he gets to the window.

Just one of those things you don't tend to think about until it happens.
This is exactly what you did before you carried a gun. It is exactly what every one does when getting pulled over. LEO should be used to and expect that exact movement.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

This is a frequently asked question on the forum, and bears revisiting often.

I've never strayed from the steps I take, and it's worked well for me, the 4 or 5 times I've been stopped since getting my CHL.

After I'm pulled over, emergency flashers go on immediately. Hands on the steering wheel, and leave them there. I DO NOT reach for anything...wallet, insurance card....nothing. When LEO gets to my window, before he/she has a chance to say anything I always say:

"Hi officer, before we get started, I have to tell you I hold a concealed handgun license, and I am armed." I then let them control the conversation as I've said what I wanted to say.

Only one time did the officer ask me where the gun was and where the wallet was. Gun: 10:00 AIWB; wallet: left hip pocket.:
The officer said: "ok, remove your wallet VERY SLOWLY. And I did. Verrrryyyyyy slowly, as in slow motion, very slow motion. The officer laughed at me for going so slowly, but that was ok. By that time he knew I was a good guy.

He stopped me for having an expired inspection sticker, told me to get it fixed, have a good day and sent me on nomy way.

I believe that having my hands frozen on the steering wheel, not reaching for anything until the LEO tells me to helps to keep the tone of the encounter non-threatening, cordial and friendly.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;-) YMMV
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

joe817 wrote: The officer laughed at me for going so slowly, but that was ok. By that time he knew I was a good guy.
I would definitely prefer that reaction than the alternative. I'm sure the LEO would as well.
LTC/SSC Instructor

BigBangSmallBucks

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

You COULD have everything ready before the Leo gets there or you could just put your wallet with your driver's license and everything in your left back pocket(or the side opposite your gun). That's what my CHL instructor did and suggested everyone else do. Oh and bad idea to mention you have a gun, just hand the officer your CHL and they'll reckon that much.
Last edited by BigBangSmallBucks on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

This is a very good conversation. Something I haven't thought of until now. I personally haven't been pulled over in about 40 years. Knock on wood! I think I will just wait to see what the officer wants before doing anything. If asked for license, I would say, "Officer I have a CHL." Then answer his questions and follow his instructions. From what I've seen on the cop shows is the officers are very careful and alert when approaching the vehicle. Most stand just a little behind the driver when initially making contact. Nice thing to consider before it happens.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

As soon as I stop, I remove my wallet and take out my license/CHL/Insurance card. I then roll down the window, turn on the dome light if dark, and put my hands on the wheel. I can do this before they are out of the vehicle. As soon as they approach I say "good morning/day/evening officer/deputy/constable" and wait for their instruction. Never had any problem.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Wall wrote:This is a very good conversation. Something I haven't thought of until now. I personally haven't been pulled over in about 40 years. Knock on wood! I think I will just wait to see what the officer wants before doing anything. If asked for license, I would say, "Officer I have a CHL." Then answer his questions and follow his instructions. From what I've seen on the cop shows is the officers are very careful and alert when approaching the vehicle. Most stand just a little behind the driver when initially making contact. Nice thing to consider before it happens.
If you hand your CHL with your DL to the officer, you don't need to say anything. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

BigBangSmallBucks

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

WildBill wrote:
The Wall wrote:This is a very good conversation. Something I haven't thought of until now. I personally haven't been pulled over in about 40 years. Knock on wood! I think I will just wait to see what the officer wants before doing anything. If asked for license, I would say, "Officer I have a CHL." Then answer his questions and follow his instructions. From what I've seen on the cop shows is the officers are very careful and alert when approaching the vehicle. Most stand just a little behind the driver when initially making contact. Nice thing to consider before it happens.
If you hand your CHL with your DL to the officer, you don't need to say anything. :tiphat:
:iagree: That's what i said.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
WildBill wrote:
:iagree: That's what i said.
This is true.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Because I carry my spare mags on my left side around 8-9 o'clock and my wallet in my back left pocket with a cover shirt, it is difficult to get the wallet out without exposing the mags. Sometimes it is easy, but other times not. Sometimes it is just plain difficult to get the wallet out because the mag carrier covers part of the pocket. With that in mind, many years ago I began carrying my wallet and phone in the breast pockets of my cover shirt. It makes it much easier to reach in and out of the car for various situations. Also, it's location is not glaringly obvious so that if I ever were held up and my wallet were demanded, if I decide to reach around for my G30 instead it won't be immediately obvious that I'm reaching for something else until they see the muzzle if they ever notice it before it is fired.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Several years ago, before I had a CHL, my job had me travelling all over the place. Frequently finding myself in less desirable locations made me acutely aware of what a risk it was to carry a wallet in my hip pocket. The wallet was just too convenient of a place to stick receipts, business cards, etc., which made it wind up a big, fat lump in my pocket.

Putting an end to that, I started carrying a little ID wallet for my essential cards and a money clip for my folding money. Later, I changed to one of those money clips that has room for several cards. It's a lot like this one: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Metal-Do ... 76527.html

Originally, I carried it in my right front pocket and life was good. When I got my CHL, I had a similar revelation to yours and moved it to my left front pocket. That's where it rides today.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”