OC Bill has been signed, but now what?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txcshooter
Posts in topic: 2

OC Bill has been signed, but now what?

Post by txcshooter »

I need y'alls help, if you don't mind. Now that Open Carry has been signed into law by the governor, I'm a CHLer, how does it affect me. For the record, I do not plan to open carry.

Laymens terms, please and thank you. :tiphat:
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OC Bill has been signed, but now what?

Post by carlson1 »

Nothing changes until January 1, 2016. Then you have the right to carry your firearm open in a belt holster or a shoulder holster.

So far now just continue to carry concealed.

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

I'm still concerned as to how this will affect where we can carry and such. How is this going to work with 30.06 exactly with the wording and all? I have TABC Blue signs which forbid the unlicensed carry of a firearm, so technically somebody could walk in open carrying their 1911 or whatever it be. I would not allow that in my business, as if you want to carry here, you must conceal it and keep it to your self. I fear many places will start putting up signs with our Open Carry Advocates running around. :grumble
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Topic author
txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

carlson1 wrote:Nothing changes until January 1, 2016. Then you have the right to carry your firearm open in a belt holster or a shoulder holster.

So far now just continue to carry concealed.
Awesome! Thank you for your quick response! :tiphat: :thumbs2:
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

He has actually signed it?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Yep. Discussed here viewtopic.php?f=133&t=78106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charlies.Contingency

John Galt wrote:He has actually signed it?
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=78106&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chas is even in the picture!

Keith already got it, oh well. Chas had the honor of being there for the signing of the bill.

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

Bottom line is we are just going to have to wait and see how it plays out after the 1st of the year. When people are involved it can go from lackluster response to way over the top. Personally I like that my shirt can ride up or flap around which for the most part would likely go unnoticed, but if it did get noticed it would be low impact consequences. To say none would be foolish so I am going with low impact. :coolgleamA:

I just saw the post where Chas is in the picture. He richly deserves that honor. :tiphat:

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Charlies.Contingency

mcscanner wrote:Bottom line is we are just going to have to wait and see how it plays out after the 1st of the year. When people are involved it can go from lackluster response to way over the top. Personally I like that my shirt can ride up or flap around which for the most part would likely go unnoticed, but if it did get noticed it would be low impact consequences. To say none would be foolish so I am going with low impact. :coolgleamA:

I just saw the post where Chas is in the picture. He richly deserves that honor.
:tiphat:

Mike
Agreed, I think he much deserves the honor.

All it will do for me is relieve the concern of legal debate if my weapon is seen. It'll help after closing time at work too, when I'm at my desk. It's kinda getting old sitting here with my vest on. Or if not wearing my vest, trying to keep my shirt tucked in nicely and non-imprinting.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

txcshooter wrote:I need y'alls help, if you don't mind. Now that Open Carry has been signed into law by the governor, I'm a CHLer, how does it affect me. For the record, I do not plan to open carry.

Laymens terms, please and thank you. :tiphat:
If you do not intend to OC there are still things you need to know. The bill changes the penalty in 30.06. Instead of a class A offense it will be a class C with a max $200 fine unless you are directly verbally told to leave and do not at which time it becomes a class A.
The wording on 30.06 signs change 1-1-16 so technically all the signs with the old wording become invalid.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:I'm still concerned as to how this will affect where we can carry and such. How is this going to work with 30.06 exactly with the wording and all? I have TABC Blue signs which forbid the unlicensed carry of a firearm, so technically somebody could walk in open carrying their 1911 or whatever it be. I would not allow that in my business, as if you want to carry here, you must conceal it and keep it to your self. I fear many places will start putting up signs with our Open Carry Advocates running around. :grumble
So does that mean you will be putting up a 30.07 sign? if we see any change I would expect it to be with the posting of 30.07 signs.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Charlies.Contingency

jmra wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:I'm still concerned as to how this will affect where we can carry and such. How is this going to work with 30.06 exactly with the wording and all? I have TABC Blue signs which forbid the unlicensed carry of a firearm, so technically somebody could walk in open carrying their 1911 or whatever it be. I would not allow that in my business, as if you want to carry here, you must conceal it and keep it to your self. I fear many places will start putting up signs with our Open Carry Advocates running around. :grumble
So does that mean you will be putting up a 30.07 sign? if we see any change I would expect it to be with the posting of 30.07 signs.
I sincerely hope to see 30.07 in place. As far as I was aware, that was not going to be in place as of yet. If so, I would not, simply do to not intending to cause undue punishment for those wishing to express their rights. (Assuming the penalty may be steeper than necessary.) I've already had this discussion with those under my command, and as of now, there is no restriction, but anybody open carrying will not be permitted to enter or stay in the building. Keep it concealed, nobody needs to see it. I run a class establishment, with dancing and music, nobody needs to be on a dance floor with a open carry weapon IMO. If you wish to conceal, I fully support it in my business, though I would like a heads up. :coolgleamA:

jmra

Post by jmra »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
jmra wrote:
I sincerely hope to see 30.07 in place. As far as I was aware, that was not going to be in place as of yet. If so, I would not, simply do to not intending to cause undue punishment for those wishing to express their rights. (Assuming the penalty may be steeper than necessary.) I've already had this discussion with those under my command, and as of now, there is no restriction, but anybody open carrying will not be permitted to enter or stay in the building. Keep it concealed, nobody needs to see it. I run a class establishment, with dancing and music, nobody needs to be on a dance floor with a open carry weapon IMO. If you wish to conceal, I fully support it in my business, though I would like a heads up. :coolgleamA:
30.07 is part of the bill and will go into effect the same time as open carry on 1-1-16. If posting 30.07 it has to be posted at every entrance to the establishment.
Last edited by jmra on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Charles, this open carry bill is for "LICENSE HOLDERS ONLY". I one does not have a license(read that to mean CHL) then they are breaking the law if they carry, openly or concealed, it makes no difference.

This OC Bill is for license holders only. Please read up on HB 910 found here:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 00910F.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Charlies.Contingency

joe817 wrote:
Charles, this open carry bill is for "LICENSE HOLDERS ONLY". I one does not have a license(read that to mean CHL) then they are breaking the law if they carry, openly or concealed, it makes no difference.

This OC Bill is for license holders only. Please read up on HB 910 found here:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 00910F.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am very aware of this, you may have misinterpreted my comment Joe. This is in reference to after Jan. 1 2016 when we have licensed open carry. ;-) If somebody came in with a gun in the open right now, they would have a welcoming committee they would not easily forget. :lol:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”