Pocket carry with no holster

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ArmedAndPolite
Posts in topic: 2

Pocket carry with no holster

Post by ArmedAndPolite »

Occasionally when I go out in athletic shorts I toss in my P22 since my G23 is too heavy to carry in light shorts. I was shopping today, feeling very comfortable laying on mattresses and not thinking about the fact I was carrying.

About 30 minutes into mattress shopping (laying down multiple times) the salesman says, "You know, it is quite an unsettling feeling having a gun pointed towards you."

When I look down I see the handle sticking out of my pocket maybe a half inch and the muzzle pointed at him, when he stands up, moves over and says, something like "I'd appreciate a fair warning."

He seemed very polite and composed. I realized I wasn't paying attention to the P22 shifting around which had the handle easily visible. I could understand why someone would feel uneasy in such a situation but he seemed calm.

Leaving the business had me wondering if a non clip pocket holster is preferred over simply carrying in the pocket alone with a safety engaged.

Note: When I had a g27 I always carried it in a holster. With the P22 I feel a holster is unnecessary. What are your thoughts on pocket holsters?
12/28/12 Online Application
01/11/13 All documents mailed w/signature confirmation
02/11/13 Plastic in hand
Total time: 48 days

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pocket carry with no holster

Post by mojo84 »

Holster. I use a tagua belt slide without the clip for my pocket holster.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

absolutely always carry with something covering the trigger, that's why you have pocket holsters. safeties can get disengaged, things can catch in the trigger. NDs result.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

Let it go as a great lesson learned.

1. The trigger MUST remain covered
2. The firearm MUST remain secure in it's position.

You DO NOT want to be THIS GUY! http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=78140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm no fan of pocket carry for exactly these reasons and more.

During my time at attempting pocket carry I found the following to be true

1. I could not stand the idea of pocket carry without the trigger covered. Twice when I retrieved my pistol from my pocket for the evening I found the safety disengaged and having a firearm in the GO condition in my pocket with a naked trigger does not give me a good feeling.

2. Pocket holsters while covering the trigger tend to be hard to extract along with the firearm which I don't like. I want to be able to retrieve both the holster and weapon as one when I'm disarming.

3. No matter how much practice, I could never obtain a consistent and fast enough draw - with or without the use of a pocket holster. The holster would tangle, the firearm would catch etc., etc. Always a clumsy process that even changes from one pair of pants to the next.

My advice: get a IWB rig and learn to love it. It is highly concealable and with practice fast and consistent draws are easy to accomplish. I really got the hang of it after a few IDPA matches. I practice and use the same rig I carry every day. I also do dry-fire draw practice and re-holstering. It's a good thing to do.

BTW - when I'm wearing athletic shorts I go from a G23 to a M&P shield. I still IWB carry. I slide the clip over the waistband and cinch the shorts up tight and I'm ready to go jogging or biking etc. Works good for me.

Always be careful and good luck!
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

"absolutely always carry with something covering the trigger, that's why you have pocket holsters. safeties can get disengaged, things can catch in the trigger. NDs result."

Well said. One of the most cost effective pocket holsters around is the Desantis Nemesis, available on the 'net and many retail locations.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

Holster!
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

harrycallahan wrote:Holster!
:iagree: You should NEVER carry any firearm in your pocket unless the trigger is covered. I even carry my S&W Model 60 revolver that has a very heavy double-action trigger pull in a holster.

Also, a holster will help keep the pistol from riding up and exposing the grip, potentially saving you from an episode like you experienced.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I do not ever pants pocket carry and if I did, would never be without a holster. I do pocket carry in vest/jackets/coats in cooler weather, which is not often in South Texas. However, can recommend DeSantis Nemesis or Pocket-Tuk; Concealment Specialties; Remora - all remain in pocket when drawing and cover trigger. I'd say Nemesis & Remora best of the lot.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

THE HOLSTER IS YOUR FIRST SAFETY! Keep the trigger covered.

I use a Desanti's Nemesis when I pocket carry my LC9.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

ldj1002

Post by ldj1002 »

A little 380 Kel-Tec and nothing in the chamber, how could it possible go off? I'm sure someone can tell me.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

Frankly, if I'd seen you carrying like that my first assumption would not have been that you had a CHL.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShootDontTalk »

ldj1002 wrote:A little 380 Kel-Tec and nothing in the chamber, how could it possible go off? I'm sure someone can tell me.
That is another not-so-good idea. Fine motor skills desert you under the influence of an adrenaline dump, rendering your gun an expensive rock. There is a reason virtually every LEO carries a loaded chamber.

To the OP...just three words: Get a holster.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

ldj1002 wrote:A little 380 Kel-Tec and nothing in the chamber, how could it possible go off? I'm sure someone can tell me.
A litte 380 with nothing in the chamber makes a great rock to throw at your attacker assuming you can get the rock out of your pocket in time to throw it. :biggrinjester:
Last edited by jmra on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Laying on a public matress? Pocket carry without a holster? Sounds risky to me. I always have a LCP380 in my pocket secured in a holster. I can draw from it just fine, it does not move out of position, and the trigger is always covered since there is no safety. I also do not put anything else in the pocket since it might catch on the trigger. Concealed AND safe should be watchwords when carrying.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for posting; it's a great learning tool for everyone who carries in their pocket. I always admire folks who are willing to tell a story on themselves so others may benefit.

Chas. :tiphat:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”