CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Wildcards
Posts in topic: 1

TX versus AZ CHL

Post by Wildcards »

Hello,

I am a TX resident but have heard folks are getting their CHL from AZ. Cost is much less, and faster than TX. Any reason why I should pay the extra $$ to TX for my CHL?

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX versus AZ CHL

Post by jmra »

Welcome to the forum. The main reason to get a TX CHL is protection from GFSZA. You would not have that protection in TX if you carry only an AZ license.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Can one bypass the background check when purchasing a gun with a foreign permit?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:Can one bypass the background check when purchasing a gun with a foreign permit?
Good question.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

mojo84 wrote:Can one bypass the background check when purchasing a gun with a foreign permit?
No. You still have to go through NICS check unless permit is from your state.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ScottDLS wrote:
No. You still have to go through NICS check unless permit is from your state.
And even then, not all states' licenses qualify for NICS bypass.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulatio ... rmit-chart
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Also some states don't recognize permits from 3rd-party states. E.g. a Texas resident can't carry in Florida on an Arizona permit, but an Arizona resident can. A Texas resident has to have a Texas permit or a non-resident Florida permit. Michigan, Colorado and a few others have similar laws.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

CleverNickname wrote:Also some states don't recognize permits from 3rd-party states. E.g. a Texas resident can't carry in Florida on an Arizona permit, but an Arizona resident can. A Texas resident has to have a Texas permit or a non-resident Florida permit. Michigan, Colorado and a few others have similar laws.
I see four (4) key benefits of a Texas CHL for a Texas resident, all but one have been mentioned above:
1. Convenience, You don't have to worry about an officer who is mistaken, or confused, about reciprocity delaying you or worse.
2. Gun Free School Zone act exemption, federal law makes it illegal to carry within 1000 feet of a k-12 school unless you have a license issued by the state the school is in. The AZ licensed is good for this in AZ only.
3. NICS exemption, A Texas resident can purchase a handgun or a long gun in Texas w/o having a NICS background check. An AZ license might let them purchase a long gun in AZ without the background check (unsure if the AZ license qualifies for a NICS exemption in AZ).
4. Total reciprocity. Some states do not recognize non-resident licenses that are not their own.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”