Texas AG asked to clarify courthouse carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Texas AG asked to clarify courthouse carry

Post by mojo84 »

This should be interesting as some courthouses buildings ban the carry of guns in the entire building.

@chucklindell: West Texas DA seeks AG opinion on extent of allowable gun bans in buildings that contain courtrooms:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/op ... 0040KP.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #txlege
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas AG asked to clarify courthouse carry

Post by joe817 »

Thanks for posting. It will be interesting to see what the AG's opinion is.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

I would have thought that Allison Palmer who sent the request would have at least done some research on the prohibited locations. She has listed places that are not prohibited

"The Act seems to authorize licensed handgun carriers to enter government premises while
armed, with the exception of places listed in Sections 46.03 and 46.035, Texas Penal Code. These
places include schools, polling places during elections, racetracks, airports, the penitentiary when a
death row inmate is being executed, bars, liquor stores, sporting events, correctiona·I facilities,
hospitals, nursing homes, amusement parks, and churches."
Salty1

bigity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigity »

At least they are asking? Probably been bothered by the citizens enough to to so finally?
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

atxscubasteve

Post by atxscubasteve »

Salty1 wrote:I would have thought that Allison Palmer who sent the request would have at least done some research on the prohibited locations. She has listed places that are not prohibited

"The Act seems to authorize licensed handgun carriers to enter government premises while
armed, with the exception of places listed in Sections 46.03 and 46.035, Texas Penal Code. These
places include schools, polling places during elections, racetracks, airports, the penitentiary when a
death row inmate is being executed, bars, liquor stores, sporting events, correctiona·I facilities,
You would think he would be more educated on the subject before writing. You can carry in liquor stores so long as they don't have a 30.06 because you can't drink in liquor stores. You can carry in hospitals, nursing homes, churches, and amusement parks so long as they haven't verbally advised or have 30.06 posted.

From my understanding, under the new law, we will be able to carry in courthouse buildings but not inside the actual court room. Let me know if I am wrong.
01/25/2013-Drop off Packet at DPS Dropbox
02/17/2013-Materials Received "Background Check Under Review"
03/14/2013-Manufacturing Complete
03/20/2013-PLASTIC!!!

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

atxscubasteve wrote:
Salty1 wrote:I would have thought that Allison Palmer who sent the request would have at least done some research on the prohibited locations.
You would think he would be more educated on the subject before writing.
See ya'll are just talking crazy. Expecting someone who prosecutes people for breaking the law to be able to read and understand the law is just ridiculous. Considering SCOTUS cannot read the constitution, why would you expect some lowly DA to be able to do a basic function of their job?
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Jago668 wrote:
atxscubasteve wrote:
Salty1 wrote:I would have thought that Allison Palmer who sent the request would have at least done some research on the prohibited locations.
See ya'll are just talking crazy. Expecting someone who prosecutes people for breaking the law to be able to read and understand the law is just ridiculous. Considering SCOTUS cannot read the constitution, why would you expect some lowly DA to be able to do a basic function of their job?
Busted and guilty as charged. :thumbs2:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

atxscubasteve wrote:
Salty1 wrote:I would have thought that Allison Palmer who sent the request would have at least done some research on the prohibited locations. She has listed places that are not prohibited

You would think he would be more educated on the subject before writing. You can carry in liquor stores so long as they don't have a 30.06 because you can't drink in liquor stores. You can carry in hospitals, nursing homes, churches, and amusement parks so long as they haven't verbally advised or have 30.06 posted.

From my understanding, under the new law, we will be able to carry in courthouse buildings but not inside the actual court room. Let me know if I am wrong.
I must be missing something here. I didn't see anything that would indicate such a change. To me, the way the law is worded regarding courts is very clear as it is. Having said that, I will gladly accept any re-education attempts on this subject. :)

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jago668 wrote:
atxscubasteve wrote:
Reminds me of a debate I had a few years ago with a detective who insisted that churches were off limits for CHL carry. A few days later he showed up and interrupted a church staff meeting with a copy of a portion of the penal code he said he had just been handed by the DA which proved that church carry was off limits. My brother was on staff at the time and immediately sent me a picture of the page. It only took about 2 minutes of Google foo to discover that the portion of the code the DA had provided had been rescinded some 7 years earlier. I forwarded a copy of the memo I found on the net from the director of DPS stating the date it had been rescinded and asked that it be hand delivered to the DA. Haven't heard a word about it since.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

DA Palmers also seems to think that the County Treasurer can be "construed" as an office utilized by the court. That's a bit more than a stretch. I think claiming the Probation Department is "utilized by the court" is another long stretch. Frankly I don't think even the DA's office can be said to be "utilized by the court", but If it does, then any DA's office that is in a building that doesn't even contain a court would be off limits. Certainly a Treasurer's office is not "utilized by the court" when it is not in a courthouse, so I don't see how it could be "utilized by the court" when it is in a courthouse.

I shall be very interested to see what the AG thinks "utilized by the court" means.
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

3dfxMM wrote:
atxscubasteve wrote:

I must be missing something here. I didn't see anything that would indicate such a change. To me, the way the law is worded regarding courts is very clear as it is. Having said that, I will gladly accept any re-education attempts on this subject. :)
You are correct; nothing in SB273 changed the law concerning courtrooms or court offices. There was a clarification dealing with meetings of governmental entities and agencies.

They are concerned because of the potential for huge daily per sign fines.

Chas.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

It should be simple you can't carry in the actual courtroom but every where else in the Court House is open to CCW. :tiphat: :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

I don't think they'll let you in with a pocket knife.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Maybe the AG will correct all the misconceptions and misunderstandings from that DA. ;-) :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

I'm sure the Texas AG can advise on carrying while in jail...
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”