Additional Training Houston

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
lildave40
Posts in topic: 3

Additional Training Houston

Post by lildave40 »

I hope I am asking in the right section. I go to the range monthly to practice shooting and read about the laws on carrying concealed. But is there a place located in Houston that offers additional training on tactics? For example, seniors like pumping gas and someone comes up to you with a gun. I hope this doesnt sound too dumb but I cant find anyone in Houston that does additional training.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Additional Training Houston

Post by jmorris »

Have you tried searching for something like tactical or defensive handgun training?

This search brought up a few.
https://www.google.com/search?sclient=t ... 6Bp8VEdoRg
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

I have trained for the last year with MAST Solutions. I can't say enough good about them and they have classes for all levels. https://mastsolutions.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MeMelYup »

If your pumping gas just turn around with the nozzle in your hand and spray the asssailant(s) with gas. Then tell them if they pull the trigger it will ignight the gas.

txpilot

Post by txpilot »

Not sure where in Houston you are, but the Shiloh Shooting Range has a "Pistol Fundamentals" class frequently on Sunday evenings (starts at 6:15). They are located on Shiloh Church Road near FM 249 and 1960. It's not every Sunday, but tomorrow (8/2/15) they have one. Normally they have it on the 2nd and 3rd Sunday of each month. It costs $35 and lasts for about 2 hours. You can give them a call (281-444-8930) for more info.

They generally concentrate on one area each class, and in the past they've had shooting from compromised positions, magazine changes, shooting on the move, decision making, low light, and several other topics.

The have a few short videos on the facebook page (Shiloh Shooting) that show some of the events.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

MeMelYup wrote:If your pumping gas just turn around with the nozzle in your hand and spray the asssailant(s) with gas. Then tell them if they pull the trigger it will ignight the gas.
Don't do this. If you need to shoot someone, then shoot someone, but don't play stupid games with gasoline that most likely won't work.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Not in Houston, but not too far, try looking into KR Training near Giddings (they have a wevbsite). Karl offers a number of different classes and price is quite reasonable for the level of training you will receive.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

CleverNickname wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:If your pumping gas just turn around with the nozzle in your hand and spray the asssailant(s) with gas. Then tell them if they pull the trigger it will ignight the gas.
Don't do this. If you need to shoot someone, then shoot someone, but don't play stupid games with gasoline that most likely won't work.
It will give you extra time to do what you need to.

Topic author
lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

txpilot wrote:Not sure where in Houston you are, but the Shiloh Shooting Range has a "Pistol Fundamentals" class frequently on Sunday evenings (starts at 6:15). They are located on Shiloh Church Road near FM 249 and 1960. It's not every Sunday, but tomorrow (8/2/15) they have one. Normally they have it on the 2nd and 3rd Sunday of each month. It costs $35 and lasts for about 2 hours. You can give them a call (281-444-8930) for more info.

They generally concentrate on one area each class, and in the past they've had shooting from compromised positions, magazine changes, shooting on the move, decision making, low light, and several other topics.

The have a few short videos on the facebook page (Shiloh Shooting) that show some of the events.
Thank you I will look them up. This is exactly what I am looking for.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

MeMelYup wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:
It will give you extra time to do what you need to.
No, it takes time away from what you need to do: drawing your gun.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

lildave40,

I don't know what part of Houston you may be in or may be willing to travel to for training experiences. There are opportunities to engage in non-static handgun training in several places, I would think. Some of these opportunities might be engaging in IDPA/LSSA/USPSA type matches where you are drawing and engaging multiple targets in a given scenario. Other opportunities might be sessions focusing on specific skills -- presentation (drawing from a holster), engaging one or more targets, use of cover and concealment, malfunction drills, low light classes, etc... Also, you might look for the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course. It includes not only a lot of good information, but also range time drawing from concealment and engaging targets.

I live out in Spring/The Woodlands. Out this direction I can attest to the offerings at Conroe Shooting Academy. With this group (actually with the founders at a former location) I have taken my CHL and NRA training, including RSO, CRSO, Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, BIT and Basic Pistol Instructor. I have also attended courses/skill development sessions as described above and also for defensive shotgun and defensive carbine. Conroe Shooting Academy also has active youth and women's programs.

The academy where I am studying Kenpo also has a weapons club which features somewhat less structured firearms skill development range sessions as well as a relatively new women's program. My wife leads a ladies' group at the academy, and I assist with the non-gender-specific stuff. PM me if you'd like more details.

If you are in another area of town or looking for offerings elsewhere, I sincerely hope someone answers with more options for you.

Best Regards,
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:lildave40,

I don't know what part of Houston you may be in or may be willing to travel to for training experiences. There are opportunities to engage in non-static handgun training in several places, I would think. Some of these opportunities might be engaging in IDPA/LSSA/USPSA type matches where you are drawing and engaging multiple targets in a given scenario. Other opportunities might be sessions focusing on specific skills -- presentation (drawing from a holster), engaging one or more targets, use of cover and concealment, malfunction drills, low light classes, etc... Also, you might look for the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course. It includes not only a lot of good information, but also range time drawing from concealment and engaging targets.

I live out in Spring/The Woodlands. Out this direction I can attest to the offerings at Conroe Shooting Academy. With this group (actually with the founders at a former location) I have taken my CHL and NRA training, including RSO, CRSO, Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, BIT and Basic Pistol Instructor. I have also attended courses/skill development sessions as described above and also for defensive shotgun and defensive carbine. Conroe Shooting Academy also has active youth and women's programs.

The academy where I am studying Kenpo also has a weapons club which features somewhat less structured firearms skill development range sessions as well as a relatively new women's program. My wife leads a ladies' group at the academy, and I assist with the non-gender-specific stuff. PM me if you'd like more details.

If you are in another area of town or looking for offerings elsewhere, I sincerely hope someone answers with more options for you.

Yes sir or mam you did answer my questions. I found a location that is closer for me as mentioned above. This is why I joined this forum. Everyone here is very helpful. Its like having an online battle buddy.

Best Regards,

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

YouTube is your friend.

Gun Talk Media
https://www.youtube.com/user/GunTalkTV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First Person Defender Series

It gives instruction, practicing is a little more difficult, but it is a free resource that will give you some ideas on tactics in different situations.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”