Clarification about reciprocity

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 2

Clarification about reciprocity

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I searched, but am not finding the answer I'm looking for.

Can a person with a concealed carry license recognized as valid in Texas open carry in the proper holster on January 1st? This was asked by a guy who drives a big rig frequently through Texas.

Some guys on another forum asked as well and I don't want to steer them wrong. :shock:
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

The Annoyed Man

Re: Clarification about reciprocity

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I believe the answer is yes, but subject to the same other out-of-state license restrictions for places like gun-free school zones, etc. In other words, for him, the only thing that changes is the decision to OC or CC. Whatever he can legally do while CC'ing, he can legally do while OC'ing. You might want to apprise him of 30.07.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Thanks TAM. I believe you're right. I learned a valuable lesson. Don't ever try to summarize Texas gun laws (concealed and MPA) in four little simple paragraphs. I think I'm gonna send these guys over here to read all about it. Thanks again.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

That is a very good question, and I guess it all depends on the exact language in 30.07, if it refers to TEXAS CHL holders, or a CHL recognized by etc..
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:That is a very good question, and I guess it all depends on the exact language in 30.07, if it refers to TEXAS CHL holders, or a CHL recognized by etc..
It would seem to me that either is carrying under the authority of Texas CHL law, and subject to all of Texas' laws. If 30.06 applies to anyone lawfully carrying concealed in the state of Texas - whether on a Texas license or an out of state license - why wouldn't the same be true for 30.07 and open carry?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Charlies.Contingency

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:That is a very good question, and I guess it all depends on the exact language in 30.07, if it refers to TEXAS CHL holders, or a CHL recognized by etc..
It would seem to me that either is carrying under the authority of Texas CHL law, and subject to all of Texas' laws. If 30.06 applies to anyone lawfully carrying concealed in the state of Texas - whether on a Texas license or an out of state license - why wouldn't the same be true for 30.07 and open carry?
TAM, could you be so kind as to paste onto here a copy of the 30.07 wording if available?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
TAM, could you be so kind as to paste onto here a copy of the 30.07 wording if available?
Here it is
“Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly.”
So a person with a concealed handgun license from a reciprocal state will be able to carry openly just like a Texas licensee.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charlies.Contingency

Keith B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Here it is
“Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly.”
So a person with a concealed handgun license from a reciprocal state will be able to carry openly just like a Texas licensee.
Because they are covered in Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government code. So almost the same language as 30.06, so what 30.06 refers to a legal carrier, is the same standards that 30.07 uses. So until otherwise specified, whomever can legally conceal carry, even out of state license holders recognized with a reprocity agreement, can now (starting next year) open carry as well.

Did I get that right?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Because they are covered in Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government code. So almost the same language as 30.06, so what 30.06 refers to a legal carrier, is the same standards that 30.07 uses. So until otherwise specified, whomever can legally conceal carry, even out of state license holders recognized with a reprocity agreement, can now (starting next year) open carry as well.

Did I get that right?
Yep
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Charlies.Contingency

Keith B wrote:
Keith B wrote:

Did I get that right?
Yep
Awesome, thanks! I hope this helps others trying to figure this out!
Last edited by Charlies.Contingency on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

(Note: Your quoting format had an error!)
Fixed the original. :tiphat:
Keith

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”