Continuing Benefit to Utah License?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fickman
Posts in topic: 1

Continuing Benefit to Utah License?

Post by fickman »

DW has a valid Texas CHL and added a Utah non-resident license years ago when it provided a lot of benefits. Her Texas CHL is still active, but the Utah is now up for renewal. Is there still a benefit to having it?

The idea back then was:
- Added several states of reciprocity (but I'm not sure how many now - Texas has added a lot since then and several others quit recognizing non-resident licenses)
- Coverage in case you had a legitimate self defense incident and your Texas CHL was "confiscated" during the investigation
- Coverage in case extreme delays cause the Texas renewal to lapse or be delayed (back when renewals could take 6 months)

IIRC, Utah now requires you to have a valid resident license in your state at the time that you apply / renew the non-resident license, but it remains valid if your other one expires.

Anyway, I'm a cheapskate and just wondering if there's still enough benefit to mess with maintaining it.

I'm also wondering why DW doesn't register her own account and post these questions herself. :biggrinjester:
Native Texian

carlson1

Re: Continuing Benefit to Utah License?

Post by carlson1 »

I keep mine because it is inexpensive and if for some reason my CHL is lost or suspended I still have a Utah license.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

It's $15 to renew. Plus the cost of a new photo. Why would you NOT renew it?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Assuming Washington doesn't start recognizing Texas licenses by 2018, I'm going to get a Utah license then and let my Washington license lapse. It's easier to take a class here for Utah than time my trips to Washington right, so I can renew my Washington license in person (they don't allow renewal by mail). Plus IIRC Utah doesn't get Texans any more states than Florida, so I can let my Florida license lapse too.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”