Out of state misdemeanor

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
lennie76
Posts in topic: 1

Out of state misdemeanor

Post by lennie76 »

I applied for my CHL at the beginning of August having read the requirements and thinking I was good to go. I had a a misdemeanor marijuana possession conviction from Arizona in 1995 that I disclosed when I sent in my application. Obviously that was more than 5 years ago. I served my 6 months of probation and paid the fine.

Now, I received a letter from DPS saying my application was delayed because it was incomplete. Apparently I need to provide full disposition information.

Several years ago, I needed this same documentation for another purpose, so thankfully I had it in the filing cabinet. One point I would like to mention is that the case paperwork I have says that the case has been "sealed/expunged."

Yesterday, I sent in the copy of the case history to DPS and am now in a holding patten to see what happens.

My concern is if this offense is going to disqualify me. I also would like to know if anyone has any experience with a case that has been sealed/expunged.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Out of state misdemeanor

Post by RoyGBiv »

Sounds like all they wanted was the full documentation.

You'd be in trouble for failure to list the offense on your application, but from your description the offense is not disqualifying.

Relax. I think you're fine. Just DPS doing their usual thorough job.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”