Would I be Eligeable for a CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Adrian930
Posts in topic: 4

Would I be Eligeable for a CHL?

Post by Adrian930 »

I am new to the site and here is my question.

When I was 18 I was arrested for a class B misdemeanor for possession of marijuana. I am now 22. I got deferred adjudication and completed everything and the case was expunged. I have the judges letter that says it was expunged. Tried to look it up on various county data bases and couldn't find anything on the matter. Would I be eligible to obtain my CHL?

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Would I be Eligeable for a CHL?

Post by RPBrown »

For a class B you have to wait 5 years from the disposition date
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

RPBrown wrote:For a class B you have to wait 5 years from the disposition date
:iagree:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Is that the case if the case was expunged?
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If the case was truly expunged, or even sealed, then you don't have to wait the five years.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:If the case was truly expunged, or even sealed, then you don't have to wait the five years.

Chas.
I didn't think so but wasn't sure enough to offer up a definitive opinion. Thanks for confirming.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

Adrian930 wrote:I have the judges letter that says it was expunged. Tried to look it up on various county data bases and couldn't find anything on the matter.
The order of non disclosure that I got was about 5 pages of legal mumbo jumbo and each page has an official county court stamp. I once went to the courthouse on something regarding what I had got sealed and the clerk checked each page for the seal before continuing with what I needed.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:If the case was truly expunged, or even sealed, then you don't have to wait the five years.

Chas.
I got my record sealed but still waited the 5 years because of my ignorance on the waiting period when having a sealed record. :banghead: Oh well, at least I got some time to mature some more. I also got plenty of practice at home concealing and getting over the whole "Am I printing?" thing.

Since the op got his incident expunged, should he still attach a copy of the expungment to the application when sending it in?
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Topic author
Adrian930

Post by Adrian930 »

Thank yall for the help.

That's the one thing I am trying to figure out. Since it was expunged, do I have to wait 5 years?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Adrian930 wrote:Thank yall for the help.

That's the one thing I am trying to figure out. Since it was expunged, do I have to wait 5 years?
You can put your money on what Charles said.

Topic author
Adrian930

Post by Adrian930 »

Definitely. Thank you.

If I called the CHL instructor, would he be able to confirm my question? Or who can I get ahold of that can? Not saying any of yall are posting things out of yalls butts but I don't want to go through the whole process and throw some money down the drain.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mojo84 wrote:
Adrian930 wrote:Thank yall for the help.

You can put your money on what Charles said.
As Charles stated, if it was expunged, then no. You should list it on your application and send in a certified copy of the disposition when you send in your CHL-100 form from your class.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

Adrian930 wrote:Definitely. Thank you.

If I called the CHL instructor, would he be able to confirm my question? Or who can I get ahold of that can? Not saying any of yall are posting things out of yalls butts but I don't want to go through the whole process and throw some money down the drain.
Charles is probably the most knowledgeable person on Texas CHL procedures. I wouldn't hesitate to follow his advice. And would do so 10 times over before trusting my (very good and competent) CHL instructor.

Topic author
Adrian930

Post by Adrian930 »

Sounds like a plan. I'll definitely do that then :anamatedbanana

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”