Registering for a CHL Instructor Class

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Registering for a CHL Instructor Class

Post by surferdaddy »

No problem. But like I said, this time frame may not reflect the duration of future classes.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 14

Post by mloamiller »

For those who have taken the instructor's class recently, how much lead time did you have between being notified of your scheduled class dates and the actual class?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

It was about 5 months.
CHL/LTC instructor

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I registered today, paid my $100 and still never received any "official" information about the instructor's class - not about timing, location, duration, requirements, waiting period - absolutely nothing; not even mentioned. Of course, I know a lot of these things because of this forum, I just find it laughable and sad that no information is provided during, or at least after the registration process.

I've already sent in the CHL-90; maybe after I get my fingerprints done, I'll get some "official" notice.

Now I wait.....
LTC/SSC Instructor

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

mloamiller wrote:For those who have taken the instructor's class recently, how much lead time did you have between being notified of your scheduled class dates and the actual class?
I had the option of attending an Instructor's Course that was happening in 10 days, when I got my notification email from RSD/DPS. That class had a lot of no-responses from invitees, and so they opened it up for those of us on the wait list who were scheduled to attend the next class after that, IF we wanted to attend and could schedule the time. Unfortunately, I couldn't get away from school with that little notice, so I actually attended the class that happened a month after the first one - so my lead time was about 6 weeks. That was about a year and a few months ago. I'm up for my first renewal this December.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

mloamiller wrote:I registered today, paid my $100 and still never received any "official" information about the instructor's class - not about timing, location, duration, requirements, waiting period - absolutely nothing; not even mentioned. Of course, I know a lot of these things because of this forum, I just find it laughable and sad that no information is provided during, or at least after the registration process.

I've already sent in the CHL-90; maybe after I get my fingerprints done, I'll get some "official" notice.

Now I wait.....
Waiting is normal. When I applied (a little over two years ago) I waited almost a year for my slot at an Instructor's Course. And, I heard nothing from RSD/DPS until I got the email invite, for a class about six weeks away. Actually, they did offer me a slot in an upcoming class that was happening the next week, but I couldn't rearrange my schedule at work to be able to make it on such short notice.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

Good sticky thread candidate if one of the mods could consolidate/confirm the accumulated knowledge from the experienced CHL instructors here. Web search results would end up pointing to it, etc.

How long is the wait after completing the application package?

We've heard 5 months to 2 years.

mloamiller reported:
1. Instructor class is 4 days; same for everyone even if you are a NRA certified instructor (I specifically asked that question).
2. When you are assigned a class date, you can defer to the next available date, but you can only do that twice. If you don't take the third option, you're out of luck.
3. If you do defer an assigned class date, you're NOT dropped to the bottom of the waiting list for the next available date.
4. Waiting list is months long; didn't say how many.
When are classes held?

That's a question I have. How many classes a year and when are they generally? We know there was just one in August [19th - 21st].

How long is the class?

Answer: 4 days. 3 days of instruction and 1 day of range time.

Location?

Answer: DPS Tactical Training Center (Range) located at 810 CR 240, Florence, Texas.

Best/nearest hotels?

Georgetown?

surferdaddy provided the following details from an instructor class confirmation email:
The classroom portion and proficiency demonstration will be held at the DPS Tactical Training Center (Range) located at 810 CR 240, Florence, Texas. A map to the facility is attached. NOTE: Students must qualify with both a revolver and a semi-auto handgun.

Registration will be held on the first day beginning at 7:30am. Please do not enter the Range property prior to 7am. Even if the gates are open, please form one line to the right to allow employees to enter the property gates. The classroom is located in the first building on the right just inside the gate entrance. During registration, you must present a state issued driver license or state issued ID card. You will be given a name badge which must be worn at all times. Class will begin at 8am. One hour is given for lunch. There are a limited number of restaurants in Florence so you may consider bringing your lunch. A cafeteria is available for seating; however, DPS will not be serving any meals to CHL Instructor students. There is a refrigerator and microwave available for use by students. Generally, the classroom instruction ends at approximately 5pm each day; however, the time could vary.

Only those receiving this confirmation email will be permitted to attend. Guests (including other CHL instructors) are not permitted to attend this class. Students are expected to adhere to the following rules:

· No audio or video recording is allowed
· Be ON TIME for the class - This includes the break periods
· Be alert and give your attention to the instructor - (not on laptops, cell phone, or personal conversations)
· Turn cell phone to ‘vibrate’ or ‘off’
· If you need to take an urgent call, please do so during breaks
· Smoking is allowed only in designated areas (this includes electric)
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Scott B. wrote: How long is the class?

Answer: 4 days. 3 days of instruction and 1 day of range time.
That's something that still seems fuzzy. Two folks who replied to this thread gave the dates of the classes they attended, and both were three-day periods. Based on the context, and comments about leaving around noon on the last day, the three day period seemed to include the last day (half-day) at the range.

Again, 3 days or 4 doesn't change my wanting to take the class - I've already registered . It's just a simple piece of information that could easily be added to the FAQ page the DPS already offers, but hasn't been. Makes me wonder why.
LTC/SSC Instructor

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

And I completely agree with the suggestion to make this thread "sticky." If the DPS isn't going to provide a source of clear information about this, then this forum would be a logical place for it.
LTC/SSC Instructor

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Not trying to sound as though I'm defending DPS for being a little "vague" on the details, but the troopers there told us that they were basically blindsided when they were informed that they would be assuming responsibility for the instruction portion of this class. It was my perception that they were still scrambling a bit to cement the teaching format of the class I attended. I don't think that RSD did anything to assist these guys in preparing to assume this new duty. Hopefully they will get it dialed in and become a bit more proactive about getting word out.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Can we get CHL instructors to report what month they took their original class in?

We know a class was held August 2015 of this year. Is there a spring or winter class?

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

* 10/7 - Application submitted
* 10/8 - CHL-90 and NRA credentials submitted
* 10/21 - Fingerprints taken
* 10/22 - Fingerprints confirmed sent to DPS

Now I guess I wait to get an email from DPS saying they have everything, and I'm on the waiting list for a class. I'll give them a week, then call if I haven't received such a notice.
LTC/SSC Instructor

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

* 10/7 - Application submitted
* 10/8 - CHL-90 and NRA credentials submitted
* 10/21 - Fingerprints taken
* 10/22 - Fingerprints sent to RSD
* 10/27 - Fingerprints received by RSD
* 10/28 - Confirmed with RSD (via phone) they have everything and it's been forwarded to the training division.
LTC/SSC Instructor

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

It's been a month since I confirmed with RSD that they have everything, but I still have not received any official notification - via email or letter - that I'm on the waiting list. So I called again today, and they again told me they have everything they need and I'm on the list, but didn't know if any official notification is ever sent. So I'm still waiting, hoping the folks on the phone know what they are talking about.

One bit of good news - the wait times to talk to someone at RSD have gotten much shorter. I called about 8:00 in the morning and was talking to a live person within a few minutes.

• 10/7 - Application submitted,
• 10/8 - CHL-90 and NRA credentials submitted,
• 10/21 - Fingerprints submitted.
• 10/28 - Confirmed with RSD they have everything and it's been forwarded to the training division.
• 11/24 - No official notification received, so confirmed via phone again that I'm on the waiting list.
LTC/SSC Instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I was just wondering if I would hear anything. Sounds like, unless there's an issue, we might not hear from the state until they get an open slot in a class?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”