Out of Texas CHL and purchase of firearm...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wiliamr
Posts in topic: 3

Out of Texas CHL and purchase of firearm...

Post by wiliamr »

If someone has a out of Texas CHL and is purchasing a firearm, is the FFl required to run a NICS check because it is not a Texas CHL? I was asked this and can not find a definitive answer. Thanks

MONGOOSE
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Out of Texas CHL and purchase of firearm...

Post by MONGOOSE »

What type of firearm and where is their residence?

Topic author
wiliamr

Post by wiliamr »

Residence is in Texas and any type of firearm from an FFL. If I recall correctly their CHL is Arizona CHL.

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

Should be good to go.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

No. Per ATF only your own state license qualifies for the NICS exemption for long arms or handguns.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

ScottDLS wrote:No. Per ATF only your own state license qualifies for the NICS exemption for long arms or handguns.
This is the correct answer.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

Thanks, my friend has a Florida license and the man at Academy said it would facilitate a purchase

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

MONGOOSE wrote:Thanks, my friend has a Florida license and the man at Academy said it would facilitate a purchase
Florida license doesn't even get you out of the check in Florida, because in Florida the state does the checks, whether you have CWP or not.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ScottDLS wrote:
MONGOOSE wrote:Thanks, my friend has a Florida license and the man at Academy said it would facilitate a purchase
Florida license doesn't even get you out of the check in Florida, because in Florida the state does the checks, whether you have CWP or not.
:iagree:

Permanent Brady Permit Chart
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
wiliamr

Post by wiliamr »

I thought in Texas, only a Texas CHL would get you through purchase without the NICS check, but was not certain. Thanks

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

Thanks for setting me straight. Good to know the correct info .

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote:
I think the same is also true in Kansas. I bought a rifle there a couple years ago and my Texas CHL was of no help. I still didn't wait more than 30 minutes for the NICS check. I don't think the KS CCP gets them out of it either.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”