Public Forum Campus Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Public Forum Campus Carry

Post by JALLEN »

baldeagle wrote:
JALLEN wrote:Well, thank God for that. You see, I am a graduate of The University of Texas, before there was UT Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Schulenberg, Blanco, Hye, Gruene and every other little bedroom wannabe community.

The Regents really blotted their copy books when they started that nonsense. They diluted the brand, no pun intended.
If you consider that UT Southwestern is one of the premier medical universities in the world and has had five Nobel Prize winners (Chemistry and Physiology and Medicine), and the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is THE premier cancer research facility in the world and has many prestigious prize winners and UTD has three Nobel Prize winners and UT Medical School Houston has Nobel Prize winners, I hardly think the brand was diluted by adding other universities to the system.
They would be just as good and prestigious if they were called something else. Maybe all those heavy hitters would be somewhere else but for the reflected prestige of the University of Texas brand, but who knows.

I thought it was a bad idea at the time, strongly resented it, and a great many of my fellow contemporaries did as well.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TXBO »

Here is a link to the second forum held at UT Austin if anyone is interested. The first speaker does a nice job.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I noticed how the lady at the 30:28 was talking about the law would not have allowed the Police or security to take the firearm from the young lady who wanted to commit suicide. What she did not say was that the moment she exposed the handgun that she would have still been in violation to the law next year. She also failed to mention that the young lady was not old enough and did not qualify to have a CHL (LTC). The twisting and omission of the truth is what the liberal ideology is founded on. It is important that we as CHL (LTC) holders make sure that we state the truth in defense of out thoughts or we might be thought of as loony and dishonest as liberals.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Exactly. But....... what if they buy themselves a wand and start wanding people? Of course nothing they do will have force of law, but I am absolutely counting an a liberal anti-gun professor not having any respect for the law, AND being perfectly willing to escalate things by demanding to see what set the wand off, etc., etc., etc.
That's win-win for us. Here's how my fantasy plays out :biggrinjester:

I probably shouldn't say this but I doubt they will listen so here goes:

Dear Liberal Professors at Texas Universities,

I'm not a lawyer but I'll bet plenty of them in the Attorney General's office will want to speak to you if you intentionally violate the law. Oh sure you can sign a letter and SAY you will, but who among you will actually do it? Usually tenure is enough to protect you from the consequences of exercising your "academic freedom" (what's known in the real world as "idiocy") but I'm willing to place a small wager that breaking the law in a very high-profile way is a bridge too far.

Oh sure, you'll call it civil disobedience but we'll call it "termination for cause". Normally you might even be able slide by while sticking it to your bosses who, after all, are liberal professors, too. They get it and might not even come after you very hard. Notice I said "normally". The reason it is different this time is because this isn't a faculty lounge debate about due process and appeals committees. You will have angered powerful members of the Texas Legislature. And the governor. Not that you care, but your boss's, boss's, boss is appointed by that same governor and confirmed by those senators. Those darn hack political appointees might force the administration to have much more of a backbone than they usually would. In fact, it might be your scalp or theirs. Especially if the Legislature starts talking about retribution to the institution's budget. But hey, they'll stand by you, right? On principle. Not tolerate interference with the "learning process" and talk truth to power! Right ...

This is, actually, a win for you and I know you planned it this way all along being the clever Ph.D that you are. Sure you get fired and everyone in the Texas academic community has to beg and plead to minimize the damage as the Legislature considers changes to the tenure system and to campus carry reducing the discretion that boards now enjoy. Sad to be them given the damage you've caused but LTCs are happier. As for you, your courageous fight in mean ole redneck Texas has made you a cause celebe and earned you a job (at a higher rank, naturally) in the University of California system at Berkeley. You are leaving the dream now! And to think that some people said you didn't know what you were doing! That'll show 'em.

SA-TX

Piney

Post by Piney »

Recently saw the proposed plan sent upward from UT MD Anderson campus.
Basically, the outdoor sidewalks , UTMDACC-owned garages, and perhaps a couple of the warehouse/maintenance properties are are open. The entire remainder of the campus is an exclusion zone. This includes office buildings (faculty office, admin office), walkways/skywalks and all other buildings.

Not what I interpreted the legislative intent for campus carry zones to be.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”