Out of state license and Tx chl question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jaystekan
Posts in topic: 2

Out of state license and Tx chl question

Post by jaystekan »

Question. I am military stationed in Texas. I have an out of state license, and really would prefer not getting a Texas license, since I am not sure how long I will be here. I have a Texas issued CHL though. My Texas CHL has my in-state Texas address on it. Question is, would my CHL be good enough to purchase a firearm here in the state of Texas since it has my Texas address on it? My license is out of state so obviously I can not use for a purchase.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Out of state license and Tx chl question

Post by Glockster »

jaystekan wrote:Question. I am military stationed in Texas. I have an out of state license, and really would prefer not getting a Texas license, since I am not sure how long I will be here. I have a Texas issued CHL though. My Texas CHL has my in-state Texas address on it. Question is, would my CHL be good enough to purchase a firearm here in the state of Texas since it has my Texas address on it? My license is out of state so obviously I can not use for a purchase.
As of 9/1/15 you can use your CHL for identification in lieu of your DL, so my understanding would be from that that you can use that with your TX address. I also believe that the law here allows for military stationed in Texas to utilize their CAC card for identification purposes when purchasing a weapon though the gun shop might ask for a copy of your orders to show that you're actually stationed here, but again the CHL should help with that as well.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Topic author
jaystekan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Out of state license and Tx chl question

Post by jaystekan »

Thank you Glockster for your help. Exactly the info I was looking for.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”