Pasadena gun show - AG complaint filed

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 14

Pasadena gun show - AG complaint filed

Post by dhoobler »

Today I filed a complaint the the attorney general about the exclusion of CHL firearms from the gun show at the Pasadena convention center. I sent the AG office a copy of my original letter to the mayor and a photo of a sign excluding loaded firearms. Here is the text of my complaint to the AG:

There were two temporary signs displayed outside at the entrance to a gun show. The photo of one sign is uploaded. There was a uniformed Pasadena police officer at the door enforcing the prohibition of loaded concealed handguns.

The convention center displayed 30.06 signs in the past. I wrote a letter to Pasadena Mayor Johnny Isbel notifying him of the offense under SB 273. Apparently he took notice of my letter because there was no 30.06 sign present.

I contend that the sign that was present is prohibited under SB 273 because SB 273 is not limited to the 30.06 sign. SB 273 prohibits any sign that excludes holders of a CHL.

The gun show promoter with the explicit approval of the City of Pasadena is attempting to enforce a rule that is over and above that which is permitted by state law. I expect the the preemption law prohibits them from doing so.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pasadena gun show - AG complaint filed

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Please upload the form on www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com so I'll have the data to use in 2017 and perhaps earlier.

Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

dhoobler wrote:Today I filed a complaint the the attorney general about the exclusion of CHL firearms from the gun show at the Pasadena convention center. I sent the AG office a copy of my original letter to the mayor and a photo of a sign excluding loaded firearms. Here is the text of my complaint to the AG:

There were two temporary signs displayed outside at the entrance to a gun show. The photo of one sign is uploaded. There was a uniformed Pasadena police officer at the door enforcing the prohibition of loaded concealed handguns.

The convention center displayed 30.06 signs in the past. I wrote a letter to Pasadena Mayor Johnny Isbel notifying him of the offense under SB 273. Apparently he took notice of my letter because there was no 30.06 sign present.

I contend that the sign that was present is prohibited under SB 273 because SB 273 is not limited to the 30.06 sign. SB 273 prohibits any sign that excludes holders of a CHL.

The gun show promoter with the explicit approval of the City of Pasadena is attempting to enforce a rule that is over and above that which is permitted by state law. I expect the the preemption law prohibits them from doing so.
Thanks for the update. I forgot to welcome you to the forum in my reply to your first post, so I'll do it here. Welcome! :tiphat:

I sent you a PM (private message)
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by winters »

So who is going to do the work for the george r brown convention center postings during the gun show?

Topic author
dhoobler
Posts in topic: 14

Post by dhoobler »

winters wrote:So who is going to do the work for the george r brown convention center postings during the gun show?
I have not been to a GRB gun show in years, but I hear that it is no longer posted. I stand to be corrected if it is posted.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

dhoobler wrote:
winters wrote:So who is going to do the work for the george r brown convention center postings during the gun show?
I have not been to a GRB gun show in years, but I hear that it is no longer posted. I stand to be corrected if it is posted.
It was not posted on my last visit.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 6

Post by locke_n_load »

dhoobler wrote:Today I filed a complaint the the attorney general about the exclusion of CHL firearms from the gun show at the Pasadena convention center. I sent the AG office a copy of my original letter to the mayor and a photo of a sign excluding loaded firearms. Here is the text of my complaint to the AG:

AG website also has a place for complaints relating to SB273:
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/
and
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/apps/3006/
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

I'm curious. Are these gun shows required to carry insurance for the show?

If the unloaded weapons requirements are required by that insurance, is it possible that the new law is going to limit and/or eliminate shows?

I don't know as that's a bad thing given the amount of shows in Texas on a given weekend, but its a thought that I had...

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 20

Post by EEllis »

gljjt wrote:Why not just have anyone who wants to holster or sell a handgun have it tagged (ziptied) at the door. Concealed handguns carried for defensive purposes cannot be removed from cover at any time except for legal self defense purposes. Any CHL holder removing their carry piece is breaking the law. It could easily argued that unloaded zipped handguns are handled for "sporting" purposes and are exempt from concealed requirements while a loaded weapon is not. This doesn't seem that difficult to me.
For the most part this is how it's been done. Sure they had the 30.06 signs but I carrried past them knowing they were unenforceable. The City cops knew they were unenforceable and even a HCSO made a statement, saw it in an article but don't remember well enough to find it, that called it a house rule referring to the GRB convention center and 30.06. But it made people keep their concealed firearms concealed. I wounder about how OC will work with the gun shows.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Taypo wrote:I'm curious. Are these gun shows required to carry insurance for the show?

If the unloaded weapons requirements are required by that insurance, is it possible that the new law is going to limit and/or eliminate shows?

I don't know as that's a bad thing given the amount of shows in Texas on a given weekend, but its a thought that I had...

All govt owned venues would require insurance for every event.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I would not be surprised to admission go up a couple of dollars for extra insurance. Insurance companies play all the angles IMHO.

I did go to Pasadena Show Sunday evening. I do remember the officers at the front asking "Do you have anything that needs to be checked?" instead of "Any firearms or ammo?" I noticed but thought nothing of it.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I filed an AG complaint about the Fort Worth Gun Show in September. Have not heard anything back. Fort Worth claimed the event organizer posted the sign.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by winters »

The last show at the GRB had police checking weapons though. I don't remember if it was posted but from my past experience they were.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Might want to reference the shows promoter since they are the ones who would be putting up signs and hiring the security for the events.I have been told that high caliber no longer posts 30.06 at the GRB at least.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

kg5ie wrote:I filed an AG complaint about the Fort Worth Gun Show in September. Have not heard anything back. Fort Worth claimed the event organizer posted the sign.
Got a reply from AG liasion officer Captain Gregory Lewis telling me I need to follow the chain. That is complain to Will Rogers first. I got a response from the gun show organizer. Thought I would share.

"All gun shows in Texas that I am aware of are posted 30.06.

The issue is not that the gun is open or concealed carry but that it is loaded. Once the gun is unloaded, the method of carry is not an issue. All guns including concealed carry must be unloaded prior to entry into the show. Through the purchase of a ticket, you are entering a private event into a space under the control of a private entity. As a condition of entry to that private event, all guns must be unloaded. We have additional signage to that effect at our shows."
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”