Gun show 30.06 and the law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Gun show 30.06 and the law

Post by dhoobler »

gljjt wrote:Why not just have anyone who wants to holster check or sell a handgun have it tagged (ziptied) at the door. Concealed handguns carried for defensive purposes cannot be removed from cover at any time except for legal self defense purposes. Any CHL holder removing their carry piece is breaking the law. It could easily argued that unloaded zipped handguns are handled for "sporting" purposes and are exempt from concealed requirements while a loaded weapon is not. You could exempt an unloaded weapon for show purposes but not a loaded weapon. This doesn't seem that difficult to me.
I could not agree more. I have no issue with guns meant to be handled during the show be unloaded and zip tied by a police officer, in fact, I think that is a good idea. You are absolutely correct when you say that a loaded, concealed (and come January, open) weapon must be kept holstered. I don't think anyone who enters a gun show with a loaded, concealed handgun has any intention of drawing it at the show. Absent a threat, they would be committing an offense.

In reality, given the density of LEO's at a gun show, it is unlikely that any such threat will ever present itself. It is possible that one could be assaulted in the parking lot.

Beyond the argument of self defense, we only get the rights that we are will to fight for. Our right to carry a firearm into a public building is being infringed at these gun shows. We need to draw a line in the sand and not permit local governments to violate state law.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by EEllis »

locke_n_load wrote:
Except that having food and drink on public owned property is not a lawfully protected action, while carrying with a CHL is.
Well only lawfully protected from 30.06 signs on govt property. There are no other "protections" than that and since there is no 30.06 in this situation .......

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by EEllis »

dhoobler wrote:
gljjt wrote:Why not just have anyone who wants to holster check or sell a handgun have it tagged (ziptied) at the door. Concealed handguns carried for defensive purposes cannot be removed from cover at any time except for legal self defense purposes. Any CHL holder removing their carry piece is breaking the law. It could easily argued that unloaded zipped handguns are handled for "sporting" purposes and are exempt from concealed requirements while a loaded weapon is not. You could exempt an unloaded weapon for show purposes but not a loaded weapon. This doesn't seem that difficult to me.
I could not agree more. I have no issue with guns meant to be handled during the show be unloaded and zip tied by a police officer, in fact, I think that is a good idea. You are absolutely correct when you say that a loaded, concealed (and come January, open) weapon must be kept holstered. I don't think anyone who enters a gun show with a loaded, concealed handgun has any intention of drawing it at the show. Absent a threat, they would be committing an offense.

In reality, given the density of LEO's at a gun show, it is unlikely that any such threat will ever present itself. It is possible that one could be assaulted in the parking lot.

Beyond the argument of self defense, we only get the rights that we are will to fight for. Our right to carry a firearm into a public building is being infringed at these gun shows. We need to draw a line in the sand and not permit local governments to violate state law.

The fact is you might be surprised about how many shootings, nevermind ND, happen at gun shows. People will and do amazingly stupid things. In this case all you have to do is ignore the signs and walk on by.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dhoobler »

EEllis wrote:
dhoobler wrote:

The fact is you might be surprised about how many shootings, nevermind ND, happen at gun shows. People will and do amazingly stupid things. In this case all you have to do is ignore the signs and walk on by.
You are right. I would be surprised. I think I have heard of two in the 30+ years I have attended hundreds of gun shows, I have never seen it happen.

That said, it is completely irrelevant. ND's occur during handling. A concealed handgun that remains holstered is not going to discharge itself.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”